Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #113
Rivet Master
 
Ray Eklund's Avatar

 
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,222
Give me the baddest yahoo truck on the... lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Never heard anyone say "Boy, I wish I'd bought a smaller truck to tow with"
2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
******
I have towed with a 2006 4.7L Tundra, a 2012 5.7L Tundra and currently a 2016 F350 diesel. All 4x4 crew cab, crew max and crew cab of some sort.

Love them all. At higher elevations and residing in the Rocky Mountains... having no 4x4 is like not needing a heater and air conditioning. If you want to buy a 4x4, do not go to Las Vegas, Nevada to look over the lot inventory. They are... rare. Here in Colorado, 2x4 trucks are not easy to find, unless stuck in a snow drift in town. Then... they are common.

F150's are the 'flat land version' of a Cowboy Cadillac, lacking the duel tires and extended fenders, for City Slickers. Beautiful trucks and capable of towing anything with some limitations. But you also must consider WHERE your primary driving area may be. Some adjectives are added to add color to these conversations.

Sheriff1 is correct. I have even discovered with many vehicles, a larger engine had better gas mileage than a 4 banger. Especially at elevation.

At my advanced age it is an appropriate time to 'shoot the inheritance' of pampered and spoiled offspring. Thus the F350 and a second home outside of Las Vegas. Bigger in truck capacity sure... feels... great. I will never regret the half ton 4x4 trucks. Although, a diesel 6.7L is purely an eccentric experiment on my part. As long as it is... maroon in color.

If the Las Vegas Craps Table offers 5X or more Odds and the wife enjoys the 'penny' video poker machine... we are on an extended retirement track to Hell. ... and love it.

As Sheriff1 comment... give me the biggest, meanest most cargo load friendly truck and lets give it a whirl. And if it requires extra consideration in maintenance and taxes... I really do not care. We both worked hard for what we have and now in my twilight years... this is going to be ONE great big party for myself and wife.
__________________

__________________
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #114
3 Rivet Member
 
Tyvekcat's Avatar
 
2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 220
LOL 'Park'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
You probably haven't been in the cab when one of those is trying to park at Walmart...
This thread is hilarious.
I don't know about you but if I couldn't park my D-Ram, even with the AS in tow, at the China -mart parking lot, then someone had better take my keys from me!
Even when I am in the Lexus or the Jeep, I never park close to the store.
who does that? They have complementary carts.

I completely agree with 'Sheriff1' . I can't remember when I ever said: I don't need this comfortable smooth riding truck with gobs of torque, to safely pull my AS.
LOL The good thing is, I don't have to re-post over and over again, trying to convince myself the virtues of using a capable diesel truck to tow my AS 'safely'. It is what it is .
safe travels.
__________________

__________________
Ra, Chelle & Natasha
For my next trick, I will use my new Airstream & Dodge Ram 2500 CTD to make this pile of money disappear.
Tyvekcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #115
Agent 86
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,368
Images: 11
How Much Truck Do You Need?

Of course your built in assumption is that all people who tow with 1/2 tons have to convince themselves that their rig is "safe".

Speaking for myself, I am convinced of this by demonstration every time I tow. My setup is rock solid, it handles like it is on rails. (Disclaimer- I do use a certain style of hitch)


Gradiens super tenui glacie.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #116
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,331
How Much Truck Do You Need?

I honestly can't tell a nickel's worth of difference from my Tundra to the 3/4 ton and 1 ton GM trucks at work.
I have over a million miles under my belt towing for work.
My Tundra pulling my Airstream feels as good, even better in some ways.
A million miles in a GM 3/4 ton at work then buys a Tundra for my personal vehicle...
Some of the credit for how good it feels could be attributed to the Airstream.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #117
Agent 86
 
J. Morgan's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,368
Images: 11
My wife wants a Tundra for our next tow vehicle.


Gradiens super tenui glacie.
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #118
Airstreamer In Training
 
FCStreamer's Avatar
 
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,152
Blog Entries: 1
Happy wife, happy life
__________________
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #119
Airstreamer In Training
 
FCStreamer's Avatar
 
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,152
Blog Entries: 1
How Much Truck Do You Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
This thread is hilarious.
I don't know about you but if I couldn't park my D-Ram, even with the AS in tow, at the China -mart parking lot, then someone had better take my keys from me!
Even when I am in the Lexus or the Jeep, I never park close to the store.
who does that? They have complementary carts.

I completely agree with 'Sheriff1' . I can't remember when I ever said: I don't need this comfortable smooth riding truck with gobs of torque, to safely pull my AS.
LOL The good thing is, I don't have to re-post over and over again, trying to convince myself the virtues of using a capable diesel truck to tow my AS 'safely'. It is what it is .
safe travels.

It's a matter of size. A 1 ton is too large for mere mortal parking spaces. That is a fact that is not subject to opinion. It just is. Sure, you could fit one, with the nose sticking out and neither of the neighboring spaces able to get out of their cars.

I'm not saying you don't need it. Or want it. Or that it can't pull an AS. Of course it can. But to somehow imply that a half ton truck is not capable or safe or able to go "up the mountains" is just simply not true.

Truth is a 1/2 ton is a great option for a lot of people. For others, it isn't. Those people need more payload or towing than a 1/2 ton can provide. That's great. Then let them deal with driving a 1 ton as a daily driver. I'm sure it's a hoot. But don't imply that somehow the 1/2 can't do the job safely. Because it can.

Different strokes for different folks.
__________________
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #120
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,331
Even a 1/2 ton crew cab is too big for parking spaces.
The trucks are nearly the same physical size.
The 3/4 ton is usually 1' longer because they have a 6.5' bed rather than the typical 1/2 ton 5.5' bed.
1/2 tons are still wide, long, and tall for tight parking spaces or parking garages.
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #121
Rivet Master
 
Ray Eklund's Avatar

 
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,222
Just making light of a bad situation...

I do not think anyone said a half ton truck cannot go up or down a mountain. Sure not me. Did it in the same tow vehicles as everyone else. Real mountains. Not at Disney World.

I have driven the mountains of the East Coast, Missouri, Arkansas and Florida. These are very ancient mountains and that is why there IS an East Coast. That dirt and rock is from what is left of your mountains. They were as high as the Himalayas, but you missed it a long time ago. With a big storm there are moootains in Florida.

Alaska and the Western USA have relatively young mountains. Nobody skis Louisiana. Well, not yet. Real mountains you have to drive around or through.

I can park my Fat Arsed F350 and 25 foot trailer at WalMart without effort. I can also tow my trailer anywhere a 1/4 ton or 1/2 ton truck can tow. Wally pulled a Bambi with a bicycle. Probably could back it into a tight parking space. So.... what.

Parking spaces are designed not to fit vehicles, but meet the minimum building codes. I know. I could make six parking spots out of an area that was for bicycles. Big bicycles.

A One Ton truck is a 3/4 ton truck with an extra leaf spring and $400 out of pocket.

A Half Ton Tundra truck is two 1/4 ton 1981 Toyota pickups. Cost more than a pair of leaf springs, too.

I love these Threads and Toilet Paper Threads. Those that initiate these threads probably would tease a hornet nest for fun. Those that keep the thread going... are the hornets and get to sting the spectators at will.

Of course... this is just adding toilet paper to the black think tank of oversized Airstreams being pulled by underpowered and undersized vehicles.

If a super Boeing jet can fly on two engines, if needed, why have four to start with?

Oh... that's right. FOR SAFETY REASONS.
__________________
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #122
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,331
We could yoke 2 Toyota 1/4 ton pickups together...
Like a mule team...
__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #123
Airstreamer In Training
 
FCStreamer's Avatar
 
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,152
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I do not think anyone said a half ton truck cannot go up or down a mountain. Sure not me. Did it in the same tow vehicles as everyone else. Real mountains. Not at Disney World.

I have driven the mountains of the East Coast, Missouri, Arkansas and Florida. These are very ancient mountains and that is why there IS an East Coast. That dirt and rock is from what is left of your mountains. They were as high as the Himalayas, but you missed it a long time ago. With a big storm there are moootains in Florida.

Alaska and the Western USA have relatively young mountains. Nobody skis Louisiana. Well, not yet. Real mountains you have to drive around or through.

I can park my Fat Arsed F350 and 25 foot trailer at WalMart without effort. I can also tow my trailer anywhere a 1/4 ton or 1/2 ton truck can tow. Wally pulled a Bambi with a bicycle. Probably could back it into a tight parking space. So.... what.

Parking spaces are designed not to fit vehicles, but meet the minimum building codes. I know. I could make six parking spots out of an area that was for bicycles. Big bicycles.

A One Ton truck is a 3/4 ton truck with an extra leaf spring and $400 out of pocket.

A Half Ton Tundra truck is two 1/4 ton 1981 Toyota pickups. Cost more than a pair of leaf springs, too.

I love these Threads and Toilet Paper Threads. Those that initiate these threads probably would tease a hornet nest for fun. Those that keep the thread going... are the hornets and get to sting the spectators at will.

Of course... this is just adding toilet paper to the black think tank of oversized Airstreams being pulled by underpowered and undersized vehicles.

If a super Boeing jet can fly on two engines, if needed, why have four to start with?

Oh... that's right. FOR SAFETY REASONS.
I really enjoyed the Mashup video comparing a Ford Raptor (an F150 basically) and a F250 going up the Ike Gauntlet hauling 8000 lbs. Puts things in perspective.

FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #124
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,827
Images: 1
How Much Truck Do You Need?

Coming down grade is all that matters.

Engine power numbers, and "faster up the grade" means next to nothing.

Braking "energy" transferred to the tire tread will always favor the lighter vehicle. Tires on 1/2 or 1T aren't that much different in size, generally. If anything, the 1/2T is favored again.

As to 1k TW, as much as 300+ lbs can be transferred "off" the TV once lash up is correct. Even if only 200, then the TV is only carrying about 400-lbs per axle. That's just not hard to meet.
__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #125
Rivet Master
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
It's a matter of size. A 1 ton is too large for mere mortal parking spaces. That is a fact that is not subject to opinion. It just is. Sure, you could fit one, with the nose sticking out and neither of the neighboring spaces able to get out of their cars.

I'm not saying you don't need it. Or want it. Or that it can't pull an AS. Of course it can. But to somehow imply that a half ton truck is not capable or safe or able to go "up the mountains" is just simply not true.

Truth is a 1/2 ton is a great option for a lot of people. For others, it isn't. Those people need more payload or towing than a 1/2 ton can provide. That's great. Then let them deal with driving a 1 ton as a daily driver. I'm sure it's a hoot. But don't imply that somehow the 1/2 can't do the job safely. Because it can.

Different strokes for different folks.
Incorrect. My one ton us no larger than a half ton. It's crew cab, short bed, SRW. Know your facts first. Don't generalize.
__________________
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #126
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,827
Images: 1
Compare by wheelbase, first.

Then refine as to steering cut difference.
__________________

__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much is too much, or too little - 1962 Globetrotter? gduffydc 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter 3 01-07-2009 02:39 PM
You can never have to much truck.... wasafari Tow Vehicles 7 06-14-2007 11:27 AM
How much damage is too much? kaulike Ribs, Skins & Rivets 8 01-20-2007 01:10 AM
Carbon Monoxide: How much is too much? Lotek General Appliance Topics 3 01-08-2005 06:06 AM
How much is to much garry Our Community 13 07-08-2003 03:53 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.