Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Do you have a source for that?

I lived in the UK in the past, and was aware of a % limit of tow vehicle and caravan weight, but that was for unbraked trailers. There wasn't a limit with braked trailers, and all trailers over a certain GVWR needed brakes anyway. Certainly anything in the Airstream class needed brakes.

Same rule exists in Alberta, but it is for very light unbraked trailers.

Since European countries don't use weight distributing hitches, the relevance of such a regulation may be moot.
Should have said recommendation, rather than law.

Here is a link:

Matching Car and Caravan - The Camping and Caravanning Club

They recommend a trailer that weighs 85% of the TV for beginners, and 100% of the TV for experienced folks.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Should have said recommendation, rather than law.

Here is a link:

Matching Car and Caravan - The Camping and Caravanning Club

They recommend a trailer that weighs 85% of the TV for beginners, and 100% of the TV for experienced folks.
Crap, I need to find a 10,000 lb pickup truck.....or heck, I'll just put 2700# of rocks in the bed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #43
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Re post #40:

Interesting. I don't have that test data to compare, so I will concede it. I would have estimated closer to 1.3, because of not analyzing the pressure distribution across the contact patch.

What is the corresponding reduction in contact area for the front axle by using the narrower tire, compared to the wider tire used on the SRW truck?

The biggest limitation in the link provided previously is that it is a Formula 1 tire, with atypical dimensions for a truck tire.

I thought of providing the link to the Boeing publication that says to use aircraft weight divided by tire pressure to calculate tire contact area, with a 1.6 ellipse, but figured that would take us even further afield. Keep it in mind if you fly on a 777 though.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #44
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Crap, I need to find a 10,000 lb pickup truck.....or heck, I'll just put 2700# of rocks in the bed.
No, that recommendation is based on empty weight, before cargo. But it includes a driver and fuel. So you do need a 10,000 lb truck. To carry on with their recommendations, you can't use weight distribution equipment. They expect a 5% tongue weight. And surge brakes. Not sure how relevant it all is.

But I suppose if I was towing with all those restrictions I might want a heavier tow vehicle too.

Jeff
Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think, Jeff you are assuming a narrower tire in a dually application. That may be true in some cases, but not all. It depends greatly upon wheel choice and the distance the dually wheels provide between tire sidewalls.

We would have to look at many factory offerings and discuss each....at least in groupings.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
No, that recommendation is based on empty weight, before cargo. But it includes a driver and fuel. So you do need a 10,000 lb truck. To carry on with their recommendations, you can't use weight distribution equipment. They expect a 5% tongue weight. And surge brakes. Not sure how relevant it all is.

But I suppose if I was towing with all those restrictions I might want a heavier tow vehicle too.

Jeff
I know...trying to interject a little levity. Often Europeans slay me.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And so do US regs...........

Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #48
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I think, Jeff you are assuming a narrower tire in a dually application. That may be true in some cases, but not all. It depends greatly upon wheel choice and the distance the dually wheels provide between tire sidewalls.
Yes, I am, in general. That is based on my experience with one ton trucks. And watching my former company switch to super singles on Peterbilt Class 8 tractors.

Jeff
Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #49
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I know...trying to interject a little levity. Often Europeans slay me.
And Canadians?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Yes, I am, in general. That is based on my experience with one ton trucks. And watching my former company switch to super singles on Peterbilt Class 8 tractors.

Jeff
I don't even want to go there. Find it interesting, but know nuttin about it except conjecture. They look cool though!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
And Canadians?

Ummmmmm, cousins to both? But we're all odd!

Old 07-19-2014, 02:12 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Crossing the Cat scales, my Dodge truck was 8,960 pounds and the Airstream trailer was 9,120 pounds. Both vehicles have four Michelin tires on the ground - factory installed LT265/70R17E tires on the truck and LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires on the trailer. Both vehicles have disc brakes.

Per the conversations above, both vehicles would have similar braking capacity since they are essentially similar weights so it seems like a balanced towing combination.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote