Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
One does not need to get a Diesel engine in a three quarter ton truck, gas is available. Jim

Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I like the TV to weigh at least as much as the coach. A heavier TV is more advantageous.
Think of it this way. Take 2 people. One weighing 200 lbs the other weighing 125 lbs. Have them stand face to face holding hands.
If the 200 pound person swings the 125 pound person in an arch. He has the weight advantage of not being moved out of position.
Now reverse the situation with the 125 person trying to swing the 200 pounder without losing the position.
It's simple physics.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I hadn't considered vehicle handling where the trailer is airborne. Introduces a whole new set of problems.

Semi tractors don't weigh more than loaded semi trailers, they weigh a lot less.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Semis are a completely different story. First off, the trailer is not connected to the tractor via a wimpy bumper hitch. Second, there are 18 wheels instead of 8 (10 for triple axle trailers). This helps with stability. Finally, the breaking is more beefed up.

I agree with TG Twinkie. Intuitively, it makes sense to have a TV that weighs about the same as the camper. Its the law in some European countries, as I've read.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Also, by my calculations, there is no Ford or RAM 1/2 ton that works. While a number of these have the towing capacity, they fall down on the cargo capacity measurement when you add in just the hitch weight and the passenger weight.
Whoa. In my shopping it was exactly the opposite on which brands had the payload numbers. For example, the Toyota dealer's Tundra 4dr maxed out at around 1700lbs and the Dodge max (quad cab) max was just over 1700 lbs, Chevy quad was 1908 (just looked) while the F150 super crew maxed out at 2390lbs. payload. The other important to me factor was that the Toyota, Dodge and Chevy all put their bigger thirsty engines in those tow packages. The Ford uses the 5.0 liter or the Ecoboost. Dodge compensates with the extra gears so that helps in mpg. Interestingly the last year's Chevy 6.2L was rated 13/18 while this year the same engine is rated 15/22 with most of the change for Chevy, like Dodge is in the tranny (8spd). Both of those trucks are in their new model while Ford is still in 2009 design clothes. Wait a few months and you may have another choice with payload to spare.

As far was weight relation, it would seem that similar weights would be good although it is not about carrying or load but pushing. hmm. Physics/mass
Old 07-17-2014, 11:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It is more about the tail wagging the dog.
Plus the ability to stop the rig.
I tow my 26'er with a 5.7 Ltr Tundra usually average 14 mpg when towing.
Get 20+ mpg when not towing.
I do not live in or near a big city. So mostly HWY driving.
My TV is 2WD Double Cab 6.5' box.
I would have preferred an 8' box.
But this truck only had 9K miles on it when I bought it 20 months ago.
We travelled over 10k miles last year in all kinds of weather. Had zero problems.
It does have the tow package.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I would like to one day compare also the experience of going down the mountain with my jake brake in my diesel as opposed to a similar setup only diff without the exhaust brake....

I have loved that exhaust brake...and when going down the mountain, in “tow mode” it is amazing at controlling my rate of descent!

I have nothing to compare it to at this point though...and I suppose they have 1500 models now with dodge with diesel jake brake?

Good luck in all your search!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:40 AM   #22
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I have trouble understanding how a semi is not a relevant example of relative weights, while swinging a person around by the arms is.

If we just want to anchor it to the road, then we should load tow vehicles with ballast. They would be heavier. We could load them up to the trailer weight. But we would compromise roll stability, acceleration, braking, steering response, and so on. All things that reduce active safety. But they would be heavy.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel hitch modified at CanAm to handle the Hensley hitch I put on the 2013 25FB International Serenity. All was well towing the new "empty" trailer home from the selling dealership in Los Angles to Phoenix and the numbers were okay at the scales (1,150 pound tongue weight).

Loaded for camping with they wife in the car and some small stuff in the back and the story changed at the scales to "No Go".

Acquired a 2012 Dodge 2500HD diesel, crew cab and short bed.. Numbers were great across the scales. Then traded for the 2014 31' Classic 30. Scales number still good with the truck fully loaded and the trailer loaded for camping (18,860 pounds across the scales for the rig and the truck axle weights were well within limits).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I would like to one day compare also the experience of going down the mountain with my jake brake in my diesel as opposed to a similar setup only diff without the exhaust brake....

I have loved that exhaust brake...and when going down the mountain, in “tow mode” it is amazing at controlling my rate of descent!

I have nothing to compare it to at this point though...and I suppose they have 1500 models now with dodge with diesel jake brake?

Good luck in all your search!
It is a DRAMATIC difference.....I've done both.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The factory hitch weight of a 30' Flying Cloud is 45 lbs more than our 25' Flying Cloud. We tow it with a 120" wheelbase reg cab Ram 5.7. There are absolutely no handling issues traveling coast-to-coast and border-to-border since we put a ProPride/Hensley style hitch on it, before that nowhere near as good.

There are three components to this question of trailer control, truck, Airstream, and the hitch. The best hitch you can buy is a fraction of the cost of trying to solve handling issues by trading trucks.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The difference in a semi is; the axles of the trailer are farther back and the fifth wheel pin is close to the front of the trailer.
The fifth wheel plate is located over the axle(s) on the tractor.
Not 4 to 5 feet behind the axle.
Therefore; no tail wagging the dog effect.
In the people holding hands analogy. I did not mean to imply that the heavier person was swinging the lighter person to the point where the lighter person is air born. They are just spinning around, like dancing.
With the semi it would be like the heavier person had his arms around the body of the lighter person when dancing.
This is not to say semis don't have handling problems. They fall over if taking a curve too fast. And many times jackknife when trying to stop quickly. They can also have brake problems. Thus the "runaway" ramps on mountain roads.
The general consensus is that truck drivers are "trained professionals". Where most RV drivers are not.
There is little argument that a 5th wheel RV handles better than a pull type. Since they are more like the semi.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Wouldn't a one ton dually be more stable? Four tires instead of two to keep things on track.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The reason the fifth wheel trailer and semi has less "tail wagging the dog" is because the pivot point of the hitch is directly over the axles, unlike a bumper-pull trailer where the pivot is well behind the axles. The longer the distance behind the axles, the worse the "wagging".

The solution to this is to shorten the effective distance the pivot point from the axles. The reason many of us use ProPride/Hensley hitches is because this pivot point is effectively moved forward to the truck rear axle. There is no "wagging", it is eliminated. Additionally, the ProPride/Hensley hitch geometry allows only the truck to initiate any turns, the trailer is locked in a straight line behind the truck. Side wind cannot cause the trailer to move out of alignment with the truck, it cannot "wag the dog".

As for fifth wheel stability, their trouble is side winds building up on the big, tall, flat side of the trailer. Worsened with gusting winds or when semis blow by. We have towed our Airstream/ProPride/half-ton Ram (reg cab 120" wheelbase) combination in complete comfort in those conditions, when they have pulled off the road for the day because of it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote