Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
How does new diesel fuel affect older engines

I'm curious to see if the new, low sulphur fuel, is impacting anyone's older diesel engines. I have the 6.0 PSD, and when I had the fuel filters changed a few weeks ago they showed me some sediment on the securring bolt. I don't know if it was a result of filling up or caused by the new fuel. I haven't noticed any reduction in my mileage since the change over.

What, if any, types of additives are y'all using, and how has it helped your engine?

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
I'm curious to see if the new, low sulphur fuel, is impacting anyone's older diesel engines. I have the 6.0 PSD, and when I had the fuel filters changed a few weeks ago they showed me some sediment on the securring bolt. I don't know if it was a result of filling up or caused by the new fuel. I haven't noticed any reduction in my mileage since the change over.

What, if any, types of additives are y'all using, and how has it helped your engine?

________Tom

Yesterday, I was configuring a new mobile command post for one of our government agencies. The unit is built on a Prevost Chassis and we had a Prevost company representative present, the unit has a new model 510 HP Detroit Diesel. He pointed out the fuel filter and mentioned that the new fuel was washing a lot of dirt out of the old storage tanks and the filter had to be watched closely as they are becoming contaminated much faster than in the past.

One more interesting bit of information is that the Detroit Diesel has so much torque it had to be reconfigured so as no to tear up the clutches in the 6 speed Allison Transmission.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529

________Tom
Tom

There is a good post on "The Diesel Place" forum regarding the lubricity of the new ULS diesel fuel and tests of some of the additives on the market to address the potential problem. Here is a link to the page with the post and test document:
Lubricity Additive Study Discussion - Diesel Place
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
_

. , .
a bit of discussion on this topic...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...sel-28760.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...nce-27247.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...rld-25248.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ves-20811.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ads-18186.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...age-25308.html

i've yet to see a bottle or try the new stuff floating on the diesel place forums...

i DO now use 1 gallon of 20% biod per tank (38) of fuel, for the added lubrication....

ALL of these concoctions may foul the 2 fuel filters and ford had shortened the recommended change interval from 20k? to 10k...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I run a couple of older diesels. My main driver is a 1996 7.3 PSD that just hit 100k.(bought it in 2005 with only 37k on it ) I have been running the Standyne additive as a precaution. I prefer B20+ when I can find it. There is one station that I get past every now and again that carries B80, the truck loves that stuff. Much quieter and seems to have a tad more pickup (seat of the pants method) I change fuel filters religiously at 10k which is every other oil change. To me a filter is relatively cheap insurance and well worth the few extra dollars. I plan to upgrade to an additional separator/filter unit in the near future. To me the diesel has a lot of pluses and is expensive up front but with a bit of care should be a good long term engine. FWIW I typically have run my gas powered trucks over 300k with nothing other than routine maintenance and repairs of wear out items.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I added half a tank (13 gal.) of B-20 to the Sprinter during the trip from OR to ABQ a couple of weeks ago. The difference was immediately obvious! Quieter smoother engine and 2+ MPG. I thought I was in heaven!!

I didn't find another station the rest of the trip back to FL that had BIO and mpg went back to where it had been, so I am setting up an experiment to add 1 gallon of B-100 (as soon as I can get a 55 gal drum of the stuff from the distributor in Miami) to the tank at each fill-up which will give me about a B-10 mix.

On the flip side, I noticed a 2mpg drom in mileage wen the ULSD stuff hit the pump. During the trip, I found a few stations that still pumpud LSD, and the mileage went right back up with the stuff. I hope the BIO test will do the same thing on a permanent basis.

PS: While in OR, I had my engine management computer re-programmed for +30 horsepower and +40 ft/lb torque. The difference was incredible. Subtle, but you sure know that the little 2.7L diesel was really cranking out the power. On the trip back to FL, the mileage was the same as before, but I sure pulled those long 6% grades with a lot more ease (and speed also!) I'm a happy guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:02 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
I noticed the new 15 ppm fuel gets 14 mpg while the old 500 ppm fuel does better than 15 mpg--these are tow figures. Additives are much more important in the winter and are probably not necessary until the temp. drops to around 32-40 degrees or lower, Just to be safe, I am checking my filters more often until I know how this new stuff works.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
I've heard that ULSD & bio can both have an effect on rubber seals.
I've not seen any data on this, but it's what I've heard.
This would only be an issue if your engine is early 90's or older. (dates approximate).
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
I've heard that ULSD & bio can both have an effect on rubber seals.
I've not seen any data on this, but it's what I've heard.
This would only be an issue if your engine is early 90's or older. (dates approximate).
Precisely!

That's why I'm only running a concentraion of B-10 (10%) max in the Sprinter. I saw one at the dealer with the engine out and totally in pieces. When I inquired about it, they said the guy was running straight BIO, and it ate the seals. They need to be Viton seals to run the high concentrations.

I don't know why they just don't build them with viton seals fron the get-go. Maybe in the near future as BO gets more use.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
When I do my research flights in the middle of absolutely nowhere with a runway, I have to take all of my diesel powered ground support equipment with me. Diesel fuel is generally not available without a long drive into the closest town. Our ground power unit, air conditioning cart, tugs, etc are all run on Jet A with oil added to the tanks. We have never had a problem except getting a little to much oil in from time to time and getting some smoke. We pump the Jet A right off the aircraft's tanks through a special quick disconnect to the equipment.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote