Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Horrible First Service Experience from my Ram Dealer

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins. I don't drive this truck daily and since we purchased new last August it only has 3000 miles. I decided to get the oil changed and DEF topped up at my local dealer in Springfield, MO. I'll let you look up who that is.

I called to make an appointment and they just told me to go to the Express Lube line whenever I had the time. I decided to take the truck in on Wednesday about 10:30AM. Service was performed and DEF topped up. Looking at the itemized bill I was astonished at the price for topping up the tank with about 2 1/2g of DEF. OK, next time I'll fill the DEF tank and just let them do the oil change.

On Friday, 5pm, hitched up to our Airstream two miles down the road and the engine warning light turns on. No messages on the display indicating what the fault is so I turn off and park in a strip mall parking lot. Called the dealer and they need to plug into the computer. I tell them there is an auto parts store where I'm parked and could I use them to get the code and call them back.

The parts store employee knows exactly where to plug in the monitor and gets me the code with a text readout of "crankcase pressure sensor range"

I figured since I had an oil change maybe the oil level is high or low so I pop the hood. I look around and notice the oil filler cap is missing off the engine. I found it on top of the radiator fan shroud. I replaced the cap, luckily hardly any oil splatter.

Called the dealer back and they said they could turn the engine warning light off on Saturday but I was out of town. They said it was OK to drive as long as the light wasn't flashing. They promise to call me on Monday for a status. The service advisor was some chick who didn't seem to have much technical knowledge and kept asking someone else for answers.

Drove on with the trailer, camped out by the lake and returned on Sunday. By the time I had returned home and put the trailer into storage the engine had gone through enough cycles to turn the light off. However, the dealer never told me that is what would happen. I figured I'd go back on Monday to have the light turned off.

I decided to fuel up after putting the trailer in storage and when opened the fuel filler housing door noticed a crusty substance around the DEF filler cap. Must be DEF that had evaporated, indicating the tech didn't bother to clean up spilage.

The dealer sent me a survey and gave them a bad review.

Dealer hasn't called me for status today.

I probably would have got more competent service from Jiffy Lube.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Hey Kelvin,

I made a recent discovery on the Turbo Diesel Register forum, which I should have known if I had really read read the service schedule in my manual.

My Service Advisor, who was new to the job, was trying to sell me the multiple oil change discount plan and asked me how many miles I drove. When I told her she worked out that the oil change plan wouldn't be a good deal because you only had 6 months to use each oil change (1 year for a two change plan, etc.).

It turns out that for my truck (2013) the oil change interval is 15,000 miles or 6 months, which ever comes first. I had been told that as long as I changed the oil when the display told me to I would be good, but the display only works on miles.

So If you have gone a year without an oil change you may be jeopardizing your warranty.

What I took away from this is I'll have to be a little more careful about getting my changes done on time. It's still good, my F-150 wanted changes at 5000 miles and I'm currently running around 10,000 in 6 months. That said, maybe I should keep using synthetic....

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
After working in automotive shops I wont let a lube tech touch my vehicles.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
I had the same low level of service from my Ford dealer in Tx. They have contracted with / or formed the Quick Lane service business to do their tires/ oil, etc... services. I guess to leave the more technical stuff to the dealership bays.

Even though my 1st change was free, the service was poor. I instructed them to leave 75psi in the tires. The service sheet had my instructions but the readings from the tech were not anywhere on the sheet. The DEF was not mentioned, no listing of the type of oil used, and on and on.

I sent them a bad review and someone called back to go over the low rating. Well I told them that I would undoubtedly not use their Quick Lane again due to not being confident in their services and technicians. They offered a 10% off on my next service, but I declined as I thought their company and personnel were unreliable. I never heard back.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
As the saying goes "If you want it done right, learn to do it yourself".

Unfortunately the saying doesn't apply to oil changes on a warranty vehicle, but that doesn't stop me from questioning the tech that drives my vehicle outside for pick-up that he used the correct oil; (I've caught them out twice for NOT using the specified synthetic) and doing a check of oil level, filler cap, leaks around filter and whatever I had asked them to do.

Unfortunately the oil express jockey's are the least trained, poorly paid smucks in the place. Next time demand a proper tech to do the service, as I think you have earned that right.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
JiffyLube is terrible. Please find another source for service. Maybe another Ram dealer?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Yea, I know, I was just making a sarcastic comparison to another equally bad company.

kelvin
Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have had this same experience and change my own oil. I find that a small shop is the best. Takes a while to find one.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I change my own oil, with a 4/4 there is plenty of room underneath , every 6 mos, 4-5000 miles, did one at Walmart in the Midwest , it was good...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Guyz, your concerns are valid. My recommendation is: Learn to be your own QC tech. Don't agree to drive off the dealer's lot until you at least visually check the area of work & look in the trunk or rear area to be sure your stuff/tools are all still there.

Midas didn't put radiator cap on, Cadillac didn't install shrouds back around engine (found them on tech's bench), Dodge put wrong U joints on driveshaft & I broke them during "test" on way home. Lots more, but a few examples.

There is NO QC dept. at a dealership. YOU are the QC, because when you (me) find a mistake; you (me) call them or take the vehicle back & tell them how they screwed up. See? That's QC work !

Get good at it. And be kind, it is hard to work on these things. If we are going to be in the RV hobby, we need the support infrastructure to do for us what we can't do. Sometimes, it's like WE are training THEM.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Sad state of affairs - actually, it's a surprise when you get good service!!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Taken in conjunction, the high crankcase pressure warning and the missing filler cap could indicate that high crankcase pressure blew the oil fill off.

Certainly not a definitive answer, but a possibility.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
I found a BIG RIG shop a mile from the house whos willing to work on my motorhome , f350 v-10 and all my cars including my 46 year old OLDS! They treat me like gold and I feel very lucky.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Taken in conjunction, the high crankcase pressure warning and the missing filler cap could indicate that high crankcase pressure blew the oil fill off.

Its a crankcase pressure range fault not an over pressure fault. Basically the ecm moniters the pressure and its should draw down in pressure. But with no cap on it wont be able to draw the pressure down. Its nothing to worry about, put the cap on and check the oil level.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post

The oil filler cap is like putting on a gas cap, it clicks when turned enough. Pulling on it afterwards it can't come off. It's possible the tech just put the cap on without turning it. The cap was found on the radiator fan housing under the leading edge of the hood, which is a typical place to put the cap while filling with oil.

Kelvin
Old 07-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
I find a reputable mom and pop auto places for my oil changes on Cummins. They typically are driving their own diesel pickups for road assistance so they know what they are doing since they do it for themselves anyway.

If you decide to change the oil on that Cummins on a 2015 you best do a lot of YouTube research on changing the oil on your model year rig. If you learn the tricks from others it's just a little pain and not that messy. If you don't you will have the biggest mess and oil spill ever done from an oil change:-) Take a look inside your right front wheel well. That little hole you see, that giant oil filled and hot filter full of oil comes out and back through there.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Hmmmm, I'm going to have to check for that "little hole" Greg mentions. I always changed my own oil, fuel and oil filters on my 2001 Ram Cummins - easy peasy. But my new 2015 has more tubes, wires, gizmos and crap in the way I cant even *get* to the filters. Brought it to my local Ram dealer, but like the others, I was not impressed with service. I usually never need to add DEF until I've towed a couple thousand miles, so I just top it off at a Pilot or Loves truck stop. I do carry a 2 gallon jug in the tool box, just in case...
Old 07-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
As the saying goes "If you want it done right, learn to do it yourself".

Unfortunately the saying doesn't apply to oil changes on a warranty vehicle,
You can't change your own oil if the vehicle is under warranty? We had a major engine rebuild done under warranty on our Honda Odyssey. They asked about oil changes and we showed them receipts for the ones we had done at a shop and gave them dates and mileage for those I did myself. There was no problem.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The reason it is no problem is that they can do a lab analysis of the oil that came out of the crankcase and tell its age and condition.
Try the next Ram dealer.
I know here the local Ram dealer is new and inexperienced.
The Ram dealer in the next town is a favorite of locals. Once they buy a vehicle there, they buy all their vehicles there.
What a difference a county line or city limits can make...
Different town, different people, different management, different ownership...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My dealer called me today after reading my bad review. The service manager apologized and asked me to bring the truck in so they could recheck the code and clear it. At least they called back.

Kelvin