Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't know if I would go back.
It's kinda sorta like a restaurant offering the meal free after you find a fly in your soup...
Sorry. I just lost my appetite...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
You can't change your own oil if the vehicle is under warranty? We had a major engine rebuild done under warranty on our Honda Odyssey. They asked about oil changes and we showed them receipts for the ones we had done at a shop and gave them dates and mileage for those I did myself. There was no problem.
Yes you can do your own oil changes to a brand new car under warranty at any service department and even yourself; HOWEVER you better be bloody careful what oil type and even what oil filter you use.

If you use a Fr@m product or generic brand, be prepared for a fight. There are a lot of crappy oil filters out there that do not have bypass valves, less paper medium; very fine paper medium that clogs up fast, forcing the filter into bypass mode. etc, etc.

I highly recommend to people that do their own oil changes at another shop to at least buy the manufacturers oil filters; that way there is little or no wiggle room for the manufacturer, if something should go south.

Also PM sent on the Odyssey because I know what happened.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Yes you can do your own oil changes to a brand new car under warranty at any service department and even yourself; HOWEVER you better be bloody careful what oil type and even what oil filter you use.

If you use a Fr@m product or generic brand, be prepared for a fight. There are a lot of crappy oil filters out there that do not have bypass valves, less paper medium; very fine paper medium that clogs up fast, forcing the filter into bypass mode. etc, etc.

I highly recommend to people that do their own oil changes at another shop to at least buy the manufacturers oil filters; that way there is little or no wiggle room for the manufacturer, if something should go south.

Cheers
Tony
This is true and even more critical now than in the past. Many newer engine families (For GM, I know) are now using 2 stage oil pumps. Each stage delivers different pressures and flow rates. The filter is an integral part of this ECM controlled function. A filter that is not calibrated properly (filter medium and bypass valve) can seriously affect the lubrication to the engine. We have seen poor filters from various brands cause major damage to engines. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Use OEM or OEM aftermarket filters only. (ie. GM or AC Delco for GM...Ram or Mopar for those guys, Ford or Motorcraft...etc)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Sorry to hear that experience! I hope you get it worked out.

Talking of filters, Fleetgaurd StrataPore and NanoNet should be the first choice for us Cummins folks. These are filters made by Cummins for Cummins. They are readily available online at good prices and also at truck parts stores (my source).

Also, note that Valvoline offers their Premium Blue line that they partnered with Cummins to develop. There is a conventional and a full synthetic.
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
KJRitchie,
Also remind your oil change guys that Cummins recommends the oil to drain for 30 minutes. I believe this is stated in the manual.
When I first acquired my truck I bought an oil change package from the dealer. It was a great deal. I couldn't get the same deal the second time around so I went back to changing it myself.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Hmm, I'll have to revisit my manual. I doubt any dealer or auto repair that as time is money. I used to do my own oil changes on my autos in the past but as I've gotten older it is not an activity I like to do anymore.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I just ordered 3 gallons of Amsoil Premium 15W-40 Diesel Synthetic and filters through my Amsoil distributor. Always used it on my other Cummins and use their 5W-40 on my German VW and Mercedes diesels with good results. If I can find that secret squirrel hole mentioned above to get to the oil filter, I might try doing it myself. Otherwise, it all goes down to my mechanic (who had a good laugh on me this week because I had the audacity to think I could change out a battery in a 2008 VW Beetle - not without taking out half the engine compartment!)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have changed the battery and headlight bulbs on a 2008 New Beetle.
I don't think I care to ever do it again.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Some maintenance is a handful for sure. I have a service story. Some years ago I had an alignment done on a Mercedes coupe. I had to return for a second visit as the service man forgot to do ALL wheels. Then, they tried to charge me again and even when I told them I had paid already for a 4-wheel alignment they fought with me. They slammed the keys down on the counter and said "go". Then, the service guy pulled the car around for me. I got in and started to pull off and the left front wheel came off. They started yelling like I was going to drive like that. They wheeled out a jack on a long air hose and tightened it up. No damage but could have been. How's that for service?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:49 AM   #30
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
I just ordered 3 gallons of Amsoil Premium 15W-40 Diesel Synthetic and filters through my Amsoil distributor. Always used it on my other Cummins and use their 5W-40 on my German VW and Mercedes diesels with good results. If I can find that secret squirrel hole mentioned above to get to the oil filter, I might try doing it myself. Otherwise, it all goes down to my mechanic (who had a good laugh on me this week because I had the audacity to think I could change out a battery in a 2008 VW Beetle - not without taking out half the engine compartment!)
Amsoil make great products, as I do use their severe gear and shock gear products.

As for anything VW I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial 10' pole. Not that I don't love them, I just can't stand working on them, as you need SST's with even the most mundane task, like rotor removal.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Interesting comment on draining the oil for fifteen minutes. I worked at an MB dealership and the first things the MB techs did was lift the car and drain the oil letting it drain while they got everything else ready. Always wondered why.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:

Cheers
Tony
Heck yes.

Plus 1 on the Oddessey.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
chnage is good ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I have changed the battery and headlight bulbs on a 2008 New Beetle.
I don't think I care to ever do it again.
Agree ! Same with 2007 Beetle, That battery was hidden! It was good car, really liked that 5 cylinder engine:
'Fuel mileage of a four with the power of a 6 ' I never had to change headlight bulbs, I had bought the German switch that allowed: off, park lights and then headlights on. Then you had to put a piece of black electrical tape between two contacts on a relay under the dash to keep the daytime running lights off. These forums are your friends
oil change was pretty easy, it was a canister filter.

Oil Change on the Dodge Ram is super easy, I use the Fleetguard or Baldwin. I didn't know about the thirty minute drain, that's good info.
I generally let it drain for hours LOL, Now I am not take any crap from my friends who say I take to long to change the oil, half a day is Okay

Have a good one !
Old 07-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:

Cheers
Tony

Ditto, and probably more important on the Fuel Filters.
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote