Old 07-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Some maintenance is a handful for sure. I have a service story. Some years ago I had an alignment done on a Mercedes coupe. I had to return for a second visit as the service man forgot to do ALL wheels. Then, they tried to charge me again and even when I told them I had paid already for a 4-wheel alignment they fought with me. They slammed the keys down on the counter and said "go". Then, the service guy pulled the car around for me. I got in and started to pull off and the left front wheel came off. They started yelling like I was going to drive like that. They wheeled out a jack on a long air hose and tightened it up. No damage but could have been. How's that for service?

2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:49 AM   #30
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
I just ordered 3 gallons of Amsoil Premium 15W-40 Diesel Synthetic and filters through my Amsoil distributor. Always used it on my other Cummins and use their 5W-40 on my German VW and Mercedes diesels with good results. If I can find that secret squirrel hole mentioned above to get to the oil filter, I might try doing it myself. Otherwise, it all goes down to my mechanic (who had a good laugh on me this week because I had the audacity to think I could change out a battery in a 2008 VW Beetle - not without taking out half the engine compartment!)
Amsoil make great products, as I do use their severe gear and shock gear products.

As for anything VW I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial 10' pole. Not that I don't love them, I just can't stand working on them, as you need SST's with even the most mundane task, like rotor removal.

Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Interesting comment on draining the oil for fifteen minutes. I worked at an MB dealership and the first things the MB techs did was lift the car and drain the oil letting it drain while they got everything else ready. Always wondered why.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post

I highly recommend to people that do their own oil changes at another shop to at least buy the manufacturers oil filters; that way there is little or no wiggle room for the manufacturer, if something should go south.

Also PM sent on the Odyssey because I know what happened.

Heck yes.

Plus 1 on the Oddessey.
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:22 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member
2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
chnage is good ?

Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I have changed the battery and headlight bulbs on a 2008 New Beetle.
I don't think I care to ever do it again.
Agree ! Same with 2007 Beetle, That battery was hidden! It was good car, really liked that 5 cylinder engine:
'Fuel mileage of a four with the power of a 6 ' I never had to change headlight bulbs, I had bought the German switch that allowed: off, park lights and then headlights on. Then you had to put a piece of black electrical tape between two contacts on a relay under the dash to keep the daytime running lights off. These forums are your friends
oil change was pretty easy, it was a canister filter.

Oil Change on the Dodge Ram is super easy, I use the Fleetguard or Baldwin. I didn't know about the thirty minute drain, that's good info.
I generally let it drain for hours LOL, Now I am not take any crap from my friends who say I take to long to change the oil, half a day is Okay

Have a good one !
Ra, Chelle & Natasha
For my next trick, I will use my new Airstream & Dodge Ram 2500 CTD to make this pile of money disappear.
Tyvekcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member
2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Yes you can do your own oil changes to a brand new car under warranty at any service department and even yourself; HOWEVER you better be bloody careful what oil type and even what oil filter you use.

If you use a Fr@m product or generic brand, be prepared for a fight. There are a lot of crappy oil filters out there that do not have bypass valves, less paper medium; very fine paper medium that clogs up fast, forcing the filter into bypass mode. etc, etc.

I highly recommend to people that do their own oil changes at another shop to at least buy the manufacturers oil filters; that way there is little or no wiggle room for the manufacturer, if something should go south.

Also PM sent on the Odyssey because I know what happened.

Ditto, and probably more important on the Fuel Filters.

Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote