Old 07-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Taken in conjunction, the high crankcase pressure warning and the missing filler cap could indicate that high crankcase pressure blew the oil fill off.

Certainly not a definitive answer, but a possibility.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.
The oil filler cap is like putting on a gas cap, it clicks when turned enough. Pulling on it afterwards it can't come off. It's possible the tech just put the cap on without turning it. The cap was found on the radiator fan housing under the leading edge of the hood, which is a typical place to put the cap while filling with oil.

Kelvin

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
I find a reputable mom and pop auto places for my oil changes on Cummins. They typically are driving their own diesel pickups for road assistance so they know what they are doing since they do it for themselves anyway.

If you decide to change the oil on that Cummins on a 2015 you best do a lot of YouTube research on changing the oil on your model year rig. If you learn the tricks from others it's just a little pain and not that messy. If you don't you will have the biggest mess and oil spill ever done from an oil change:-) Take a look inside your right front wheel well. That little hole you see, that giant oil filled and hot filter full of oil comes out and back through there.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Hmmmm, I'm going to have to check for that "little hole" Greg mentions. I always changed my own oil, fuel and oil filters on my 2001 Ram Cummins - easy peasy. But my new 2015 has more tubes, wires, gizmos and crap in the way I cant even *get* to the filters. Brought it to my local Ram dealer, but like the others, I was not impressed with service. I usually never need to add DEF until I've towed a couple thousand miles, so I just top it off at a Pilot or Loves truck stop. I do carry a 2 gallon jug in the tool box, just in case...
Old 07-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
As the saying goes "If you want it done right, learn to do it yourself".

Unfortunately the saying doesn't apply to oil changes on a warranty vehicle,
You can't change your own oil if the vehicle is under warranty? We had a major engine rebuild done under warranty on our Honda Odyssey. They asked about oil changes and we showed them receipts for the ones we had done at a shop and gave them dates and mileage for those I did myself. There was no problem.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The reason it is no problem is that they can do a lab analysis of the oil that came out of the crankcase and tell its age and condition.
Try the next Ram dealer.
I know here the local Ram dealer is new and inexperienced.
The Ram dealer in the next town is a favorite of locals. Once they buy a vehicle there, they buy all their vehicles there.
What a difference a county line or city limits can make...
Different town, different people, different management, different ownership...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
My dealer called me today after reading my bad review. The service manager apologized and asked me to bring the truck in so they could recheck the code and clear it. At least they called back.

Kelvin
Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't know if I would go back.
It's kinda sorta like a restaurant offering the meal free after you find a fly in your soup...
Sorry. I just lost my appetite...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
You can't change your own oil if the vehicle is under warranty? We had a major engine rebuild done under warranty on our Honda Odyssey. They asked about oil changes and we showed them receipts for the ones we had done at a shop and gave them dates and mileage for those I did myself. There was no problem.
Yes you can do your own oil changes to a brand new car under warranty at any service department and even yourself; HOWEVER you better be bloody careful what oil type and even what oil filter you use.

If you use a Fr@m product or generic brand, be prepared for a fight. There are a lot of crappy oil filters out there that do not have bypass valves, less paper medium; very fine paper medium that clogs up fast, forcing the filter into bypass mode. etc, etc.

I highly recommend to people that do their own oil changes at another shop to at least buy the manufacturers oil filters; that way there is little or no wiggle room for the manufacturer, if something should go south.

Also PM sent on the Odyssey because I know what happened.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Yes you can do your own oil changes to a brand new car under warranty at any service department and even yourself; HOWEVER you better be bloody careful what oil type and even what oil filter you use.

If you use a Fr@m product or generic brand, be prepared for a fight. There are a lot of crappy oil filters out there that do not have bypass valves, less paper medium; very fine paper medium that clogs up fast, forcing the filter into bypass mode. etc, etc.

I highly recommend to people that do their own oil changes at another shop to at least buy the manufacturers oil filters; that way there is little or no wiggle room for the manufacturer, if something should go south.

Also PM sent on the Odyssey because I know what happened.

Cheers
Tony
This is true and even more critical now than in the past. Many newer engine families (For GM, I know) are now using 2 stage oil pumps. Each stage delivers different pressures and flow rates. The filter is an integral part of this ECM controlled function. A filter that is not calibrated properly (filter medium and bypass valve) can seriously affect the lubrication to the engine. We have seen poor filters from various brands cause major damage to engines. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Use OEM or OEM aftermarket filters only. (ie. GM or AC Delco for GM...Ram or Mopar for those guys, Ford or Motorcraft...etc)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Monmouth , Oregon
Sorry to hear that experience! I hope you get it worked out.

Talking of filters, Fleetgaurd StrataPore and NanoNet should be the first choice for us Cummins folks. These are filters made by Cummins for Cummins. They are readily available online at good prices and also at truck parts stores (my source).

Also, note that Valvoline offers their Premium Blue line that they partnered with Cummins to develop. There is a conventional and a full synthetic.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
KJRitchie,
Also remind your oil change guys that Cummins recommends the oil to drain for 30 minutes. I believe this is stated in the manual.
When I first acquired my truck I bought an oil change package from the dealer. It was a great deal. I couldn't get the same deal the second time around so I went back to changing it myself.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Hmm, I'll have to revisit my manual. I doubt any dealer or auto repair that as time is money. I used to do my own oil changes on my autos in the past but as I've gotten older it is not an activity I like to do anymore.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
I just ordered 3 gallons of Amsoil Premium 15W-40 Diesel Synthetic and filters through my Amsoil distributor. Always used it on my other Cummins and use their 5W-40 on my German VW and Mercedes diesels with good results. If I can find that secret squirrel hole mentioned above to get to the oil filter, I might try doing it myself. Otherwise, it all goes down to my mechanic (who had a good laugh on me this week because I had the audacity to think I could change out a battery in a 2008 VW Beetle - not without taking out half the engine compartment!)
Old 07-29-2016, 03:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have changed the battery and headlight bulbs on a 2008 New Beetle.
I don't think I care to ever do it again.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955