Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We purchased our 2008 Safari SE 20' in Eugene, OR July 08 on a whim and the only vehicle we had with us was a 2005 Pilot. It was hitched up with an E-quil-izer at the dealer and we took off for a trip across Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming South dakota, Colorado, New Mexico and back to Tucson (+4000 miles) with nary a problem. I still had a nagging concern that we were pushing the Pilot's limits so I traded it in on a 2008 Toyota Sequoia. We have since put 40,000 miles under our Airstream/Sequoia and the only problem has been with the Goodyear Marathons that came with the trailer, but that's another story. Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Keep in mind that all Ridgelines, and many Pilots, are all-wheel-drive. Issues of power delivery when towing will quickly be remedied as torque gets distributed to all four wheels.

Honda's towing ratings, like most manufacturers, are based on the capability to provide sufficient power train cooling when towing up Davis Dam in Death Valley in 100+ degrees at highway speeds with the AC full on without throwing any codes or overheating. Often box trailers are used with worse aerodynamics/more drag than our Airstreams. (That's the reason for the MDX different rating for a more-aerodynamic boat.)

In other words, for the vast majority of users who don't tow in that situation, towing up to the rating isn't pushing things.

Tom

Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Thanks for all the information, it is great to get your feedback. I think we'll be okay with the AWD Pilot. Yeah, the Ridgeline is very stiff and is great at hauling, and better to drive loaded than our Tundra. I'll be happy if the Pilot can get 14-15 towing, the Tundra gets about 11 towing our little Globetrotter.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wapiti , Wyoming
Have the same AS in my sights to buy. Would like to tow with 2011 4WD Pilot. The owner's manual says combined weight limit is about 9600 lbs. Pilot is 6100 and AS is 4500, so that makes me nervous. Any problems with your engine or drive train?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
I've read that you want a 10 percent buffer between the max tow rate and your trailer weight- 4500 would be 4050 max trailer weight. I took delivery of my 2012 Pilot today, I'm so stoked. We'll be towing 3200 pounds max with it.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
First tow with the Pilot, very hilly roads from trailer storage to my home, and the Pilot had more ummmph than the Tundra (V6). One very notable benefit is how much more maneuverable the Pilot + AS is than the Tundra. Nest step, highway.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Arlington Hts , Illinois
For pulling our '71 23' Safari with a 2009 4WD Honda Pilot, we added these mirrors:
JR Products 2912 Grand Aero Towing Mirror - Pair, $111 from Amazon.
They were well rated and have worked really well.
We also made very sure that it has the factory towing package, including the tranny and power steering coolers.
If we'd known then what we know now, we might have gone with a Tundra or Sequoia instead, for their higher tow rating, but we sure are loving the Pilot so far.