Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #61
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

It's really just the feel good rationalization of a personal decision.
Very much like TV,tires,hitches,coffee,converters,campfire's,
batteries and underwear.

Safe Stream'n,
Bob
Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Especially coffee.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Lots of feel good rationalizations going on, from buying marginal tow vehicles (which are working fine for people) to heavy duty diesels twice the size needed (which are working fine for people).

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #64
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Lots of feel good rationalizations going on, from buying marginal tow vehicles (which are working fine for people) to heavy duty diesels twice the size needed (which are working fine for people).

doug
I prefer boxers.

Bob
Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I had a 2009 Odyssey van that I setup to tow. Essentially a bolt-on trailer hitch (the honda is pre-drilled, takes 4 bolts) and the wiring harness for lights. I wanted to tow my utility trailer with a heavy lawn tractor on it.

the problem with the Odyssey was that it can't take much tongue weight, and you can't use a WD hitch.

I thought it was marginal at best for even this light load. Even if someone is "setting you up", I think it's not adequate or safe for a trailer upwards of 3000 lbs and a 500-600lb tongue weight. Even if you change the rear suspension, use a WD hitch, you still can get past the structural limits of the vehicle, the load limits of the wheels & tires, limits of engine power or the limits of what the transmission will take.

I also wouldn't call a guy who "sets up" overloaded vehicles a professional of any sort.

You may be able to do it for a bit, but eventually you will burn up what is a very expensive minivan. Also, as others have implied, there is doing something, and then there is doing something comfortably. You definately want to have some safety margin in your TV. How much is up to you, but always people will recommend that you have some.

Good luck!
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Boxer briefs are better!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I prefer boxers.

Bob
Twice the size you need?

Typical Marine.

doug
USN retired
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #68
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Twice the size you need?

Typical Marine.

doug
USN retired

This choice has nothing to do with my Jar-head, although the two areas are hardwired.

Bob
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
>CanAm airstream dealer in Canada.

This is the perennial answer, and I'm open to it. But why is Andy T in Ontario the only guy recommended? If this is such a sensible, successful alternative (and my mind is open to believing it is), why aren't there more mechanics across the US providing this service, or if there are, why aren't they mentioned?

I am sincere in my questions.
You may want to ask Andy directly, but I'm sure what he will tell you is that there's not a lot of profit in hitch work. Most RV dealers make their money on selling trailers, not hitches. Also, setting up a "modest" tow vehicles to tow safely requires specialized knowledge about each vehicle. Consider that most Canadians drive smaller vehicles as compared to Americans, it's probably logical that Can-Am developed their expertise here in Canada, but as fuel costs rise everywhere interest in Can-Am setups is widening.

Anyway, Can-Am RV is a second generation family-owned business that chose to specialize in hitch work. If you ask any car dealer in the region about challenging towing setups they'll invariably send you to Can-Am. My only concern is that when Andy retires, I'm not sure there's anyone ready or willing to fill his shoes, which would be a huge loss to the towing community.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
and you can't use a WD hitch.
The Honda manual specifically states that you should use a WD hitch to tow more than 1850 lbs.

The maximum allowable weight of the vehicle, all occupants, all cargo,
and the tongue load must not exceed 2,910 lbs (1,320 kg) on the front axle,
and 3,197 lbs (1,450 kg) on the rear axle, i.e ample.

The payload of an Odyssey is 1400lbs, with axles and tires accordingly, this matches and even exceeds that of many 1/2 trucks, etc, etc...

Straight from the manual:

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote