Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Homemade mudflaps

Here are some pictures of a little project that I finished up back over the summer and just getting a chance to post a picture.
My intent was to make some removable mud flaps to protect the trailer since the permanent mud flaps on the truck don't hang low enough to catch all the road debris.
I liked the idea of the Rock Tamers but I wanted the flaps to be quickly removable since the Hensley stinger weighs enough on it's own.
The project took a long piece of angle iron, a few pieces of flat steel that I could weld into a box shape, a standard hitch pin and a cool set of "Cummins" mud flaps.
Check out the pics.

Quick release

Bare stinger

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Nice!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
You can't beat designs that are simple. Great results!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Mine is in pretty good shape for it's age. I would like some sort of protection. I would like to do something like that but mount it on the trailer to deflect debris.

Perry

Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
I know a little..

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
orem , Utah
I love the flaps! nice job!
Old 11-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Since we are on the subject of mudflaps........

We have a 19' Bambi, and the dump valves are directly behind the left rear tire. When we were at a gas station in Fruita, CO, a guy came over to me and said I should install a mud flap to protect all of the pipes and valves, or that over time, the constant blasting of rock, sand, etc., will destroy everything, and that he knows from experience.

Has anyone installed anything the protects all of the plumbing but looks decent?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but have been meaning to ask the question since I was made aware of the problem. After looking at the situation, it made sense that it could happen.

Thanks,
Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
New Market , Virginia
This makes a lot of sense Steamy. Have a 22' ft and am quite interested in what will come. Thanks for the inquiry.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Crispyboy
I think you saw my flaps last year. For those who have not seen em. They are two peices of aluminum angle pushed in the ends of the hitch. I aquired 2 truck( 1/4 fender flaps) from the local Fruehuf Semi-trailer dealer.They are bolted to the angle with 4 / 1/4 inch bolts. Now some hitches maybe different than mine(stock FORD) which the cross tube is open on the ends.I hold those flaps in each end with a trap strap.I did drive them in,the tube is actually curved a little and they are tight but I didnt want to take a chance of them working out. THEY have been on there 3 years.I leave em on all the time.Cause the rear wheels tend to throw things or can. IT keeps the rain and slush in the winter and mud in summer ,down on the roadway where it belongs,not on someones windshield or on my trailer when towing.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
My windshield/grill appreciates your trucks mud flaps being in place year round. I think more trucks should run some type of mudflap to keep the debris down. I notice that many pickup trucks in the western states do this but not so much back east.

I have factory mud flaps just behind the front/rear tires on this truck but I wish they were a few inches longer. The are just long enough to protect my truck from throwing rocks but don't do much for the vehicle traveling behind me.

I had a question pm'd to me about the width of the add-on flaps. The picture may be deceiving as the add-on's only stick out about an inch wider than the tire. The truck has stock tires LT265/70R17/E, just enough to keep the debris down.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Hoping for a response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
We have a 19' Bambi, and the dump valves are directly behind the left rear tire. When we were at a gas station in Fruita, CO, a guy came over to me and said I should install a mud flap to protect all of the pipes and valves, or that over time, the constant blasting of rock, sand, etc., will destroy everything, and that he knows from experience.

Has anyone installed anything the protects all of the plumbing but looks decent?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but have been meaning to ask the question since I was made aware of the problem. After looking at the situation, it made sense that it could happen.

Thanks,
I was hoping that someone out in Airstream Land would have some suggestions on this. Thanks,
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I was hoping that someone out in Airstream Land would have some suggestions on this. Thanks,
I just got a pair of automotive flaps (black), drilled a couple of holes in the outrigger behont the tire and that's it. Keeps the gravel from pittin and rusting the lower white compartments and keeps the sant and road grit of my waste valve hardware.
I'll have to look and see if I have any pics. AS is in storage so I can't get any new ones right now.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Crispyboy
I dont know the width of my flaps. I know they are maybe an inch wider than the rear tires. The actual flap ends at the end of the hitch tube. Because the tubes are curved just a little that makes the flaps angled into the center.Than kinda funnels any debris to the middle of the truck and when towing its funneled to the A frame. I know a picture would be worth a thousand words. Ill see what I can do.
ROGER
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I can attest to the effectiveness of that type of mud flap, as I made a very similar contraption several years ago I bolted together two pieces of angle iron to sandwich the rubber mud flaps (no welding). I used big-rig truck mud flaps, cut them in half, and extended them the full width of the tow vehicle to catch virtually everything. I attached chain to the angle iron, which allowed me to install and remove the flap when I towed. It worked very well; but I eventually abandoned this flap in favor of a more permanent solution from Duraflap. They’re located in Grant’s Pass, OR, and they make vehicle-specific mud flaps in a variety of widths and lengths. They’ll even make longer than their standard sizes (which I did), by ordering a “plus” size. They're fairly rigid, so you don't want to make them too long, lest they catch the ground or curb. I've been very pleased with mine. They were very nice, knowledgeable people to work with, and their flaps remain on the vehicle full-time with a "factory" look.

www.duraflap.com/