Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Oxford Mills , Ontario
Hitch system for 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck (GMC)

We are picking up our 2016-26U 3rd week of March. As a General sales manager at a General Motors dealership I pretty much have my pick of TV .
Am I good with just the ball and integrated trailer brake ( which senses sway and adjusts accordingly) or should I still upgrade to a hitch system.
For the foreseeable future we will be mostly on trips under 300km's with a trip to Urban Air in Michigan this coming September.
Crazycanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I do not see how the integrated trailer brake can really do sway control like hitches that are designed to attenuate or eliminate sway. False security if you ask me. Since I have a friend who lost a truck and trailer due to sway, I have some strong opinions on that.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycanucks View Post
Am I good with just the ball and integrated trailer brake ( which senses sway and adjusts accordingly) or should I still upgrade to a hitch system.
Are you referring to the add-on trailer sway brake module like the one or are you referring to the trailer sway control that many vehicles have included with a tow package?

The electronic module that controls the left and right side brakes of the trailer look interesting and they may be the way of the future. They seem a lot less expensive than the Hensley type hitch and weigh next to nothing. (I would want weight distribution on a smaller truck or SUV.)

Here is another link to this type of product, but it appears to operates the brakes on both sides of the trailer together.

And here is a link to to a video done by Mr. Truck that tests the that operates the brakes as required on each side.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Crazy,

I have been a factory service rep for GM for 33 years (small world), so let me give you my input. The electronic trailer sway control system will mitigate a sway condition AFTER it starts occurring, and it works really well. However, a proper sway controlling hitch system, will reduce or eliminate the condition from occurring in the first place. I do not consider them to be redundant systems, but rather, they work in tandem to significantly reduce or virtually eliminate sway. The electronic sway control, in my opinion, is one of the most under valued and most significant advancement in towing safety to come along in a long time, but it does not produce the idea of negating a good hitch system.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Since our good friend and wife lost their new Airstream 28 and F-250 (with electronic sway control) due to an uncontrollable sway condition, we have had a preference for the stability/controllability of a half-ton truck with our sway elimination/w.d. hitch. Rock solid no matter the weather, road, or traffic conditions in our extensive travels.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Crazy,

I have been a factory service rep for GM for 33 years (small world), so let me give you my input. The electronic trailer sway control system will mitigate a sway condition AFTER it starts occurring, and it works really well. However, a proper sway controlling hitch system, will reduce or eliminate the condition from occurring in the first place. I do not consider them to be redundant systems, but rather, they work in tandem to significantly reduce or virtually eliminate sway. The electronic sway control, in my opinion, is one of the most under valued and most significant advancement in towing safety to come along in a long time, but it does not produce the idea of negating a good hitch system.
A lot of this new technology puts a mask on a poor driver, and he never gets better...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Oxford Mills , Ontario
Feedback

Thanks for the feedback people !
We will purchase a system prior to picking up our new unit .
Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Good decision!!!!!!
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
A lot of this new technology puts a mask on a poor driver, and he never gets better...
Well, it could be argued that much of what had been required or added to vehicles (as well as many other products ) is there to protect people from themselves. I'll leave it at that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
The 2 1/2" receiver on GM HD'S is oversize and leaves lots of slop in the hitch . I purchased a 2 1/2 " shank and removed the adapter that GM supplies and it's still a sloppy fit . The new shank does measure 2 1/2'' and the receiver is oversize .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Well, it could be argued that much of what had been required or added to vehicles (as well as many other products ) is there to protect people from themselves. I'll leave it at that.
Point on!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Since you won't need a weight distribution hitch, I would recommend an Andersen anti sway hitch, not expensive and will provide ample anti sway properties. I had one that I used with my 3/4 ton GMC. I traded for a new Ram 1500 ECO Diesel and needed weight distribution and no longer use the Andersen Hitch. PM if you want it really cheap.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
We are picking up our 2016-26U 3rd week of March. As a General sales manager at a General Motors dealership I pretty much have my pick of TV .
For the foreseeable future we will be mostly on trips under 300km's with a trip to Urban Air in Michigan this coming September.
You 're using a 3/4 or one ton TV to tow a 26 footer????
A little overkill isn't it?

I use a Ford F-150 with Ecoboost to tow a 30 foot Flying Cloud.
Yes, I do use a W.D. hitch, but the rig works ok so far.

I can't answer your hitch question for that heavy a tow vehicle.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
The 2 1/2" receiver on GM HD'S is oversize and leaves lots of slop in the hitch . I purchased a 2 1/2 " shank and removed the adapter that GM supplies and it's still a sloppy fit . The new shank does measure 2 1/2'' and the receiver is oversize .

I've noticed that also on my 2016 GMC Crewcab 2500HD hitch. I do use a sway control friction bar, but really don't notice any sway at all, in contrast to my 2500 Suburban, which required careful attention to weight distribution in both the TV and the trailer. Since sway isn't a problem with the Crewcab, I guess I won't worry about the sloppy fit in the receiver.

I suspect the OP will have a loose receiver fit as well.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Oxford Mills , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
You 're using a 3/4 or one ton TV to tow a 26 footer????
A little overkill isn't it?

I use a Ford F-150 with Ecoboost to tow a 30 foot Flying Cloud.
Yes, I do use a W.D. hitch, but the rig works ok so far.

I can't answer your hitch question for that heavy a tow vehicle.

It helps when I get the pick of the yard to drive, otherwise i would be in a 1/2 ton for sure.
I drive 3/4 ton as a demo and sell to local farmers/companies every 10,000 or so
Old 03-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
I recommend looking at the ProPride hitch. We have towed with lots of different hitches. ProPride may be a little pricey, but it's the best.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
We have a 26U and just drop it on the ball and go. Been in high winds and highway speeds with big trucks passing and never a hint of sway.

We are towing with a 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW...yea it's overkill but I already had the truck.

You don't really need a weight distributing hitch with a heavy duty truck. You sure don't need to transfer weight to the front as that diesel weighs plenty...and you don't need to be transferring weight to your trailer axles if you don't have to.

Why add all that weight and hassle of those hitches when you have a truck that can handle the trailer without it?

Our Airstream tows straight and level as can be...makes hooking up a breeze and doesn't put undue strain on the Airstream frame or the trucks hitch. Nothing moves inside our trailer when traveling...no drawers open, no pillows on the floor, no items in cabinets fall over. Just seems to be better for the Airstream too.

Yes, I have used a EZ Lift and a Blue Ox on past Airstreams. Glad I have enough truck now that I don't need them. My truck weighs almost 8000#'s so it's not the tail wagging the dog here...the big dog wins that battle!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
It helps when I get the pick of the yard to drive, otherwise i would be in a 1/2 ton for sure.
I drive 3/4 ton as a demo and sell to local farmers/companies every 10,000 or so
GOTCHA!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hitch system for 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck (GMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
We have a 26U and just drop it on the ball and go. Been in high winds and highway speeds with big trucks passing and never a hint of sway.

We are towing with a 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW...yea it's overkill but I already had the truck.

You don't really need a weight distributing hitch with a heavy duty truck. You sure don't need to transfer weight to the front as that diesel weighs plenty...and you don't need to be transferring weight to your trailer axles if you don't have to.

Why add all that weight and hassle of those hitches when you have a truck that can handle the trailer without it?

Our Airstream tows straight and level as can be...makes hooking up a breeze and doesn't put undue strain on the Airstream frame or the trucks hitch. Nothing moves inside our trailer when traveling...no drawers open, no pillows on the floor, no items in cabinets fall over. Just seems to be better for the Airstream too.

Yes, I have used a EZ Lift and a Blue Ox on past Airstreams. Glad I have enough truck now that I don't need them. My truck weighs almost 8000#'s so it's not the tail wagging the dog here...the big dog wins that battle!

I'll be happy to swing in with an eighteen wheeler by passing too closely at 15-mph faster than you're running. We'll see how well you and said rig do.

High winds with serious gusting is another.

As to "no sway", what you can't feel can be ignored. Apparently is. Video from the rear will show frequent and constant misalignment with the tow vehicle.

It isn't the trailer weight. It's the sail area that matters.

How much an engine weighs isn't relevant.

And TW isn't a concern of cargo capacity. It's a static measurement. At rest. The force exerted by the lever extending back to the trailer axles can grow to several thousand pounds while underway. Taming that is why WD works well.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post

A very uncontrollable truck if things get out of hand, an accident waiting to happen. Sway control is needed more here than many. I'm familiar with that show and his wife is still crippled from the rollover. He gave up on the bumper-pull Airstream for the stability of a fifth wheel travel trailer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote