Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
Hitch adjustments when going from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton

I am in the process of adjusting our ProPride to a new GMC 2500 duramax. I have the height about right, but I am wondering what others have done to the weight distribution bars. I was at 5.5 inches on the Ford f 150. The same 5.5 inches seems a bit stiff for the 2500. The TT is a 25 EB.
I have gone through the procedure for measuring TV front wheel changes before and after distribution, but the differences are quite small.
It seems to make sense that the general rule would be less distribution for a 3/4 ton, but wanted to see what others thought.
Thanks
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Height about right....Hitch ball height?
The 2500 would normally be a few inches higher.

Is the TV & AS level with WD set?
The wheelhouse measurements may be a little less accurate with the stiffer 2500 suspension.

CAT weights have always been the better option for WD set-up for our 2500 Burb.

POI..... when taking wheelhouse measurements it's also helpful to do the rear....if you restore the front to within 1" you want to get as close to that as possible for the rear....it's very important to have a LEVEL TV & AS when your done.

Bob
Old 07-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Wanna EB, we just picked up our GMC Duramax 2500 today. We use an Equalizer and ironically the 2500 hitch is 1.5" lower than our Yukon XL, Which was surprisingly about 20.5" high, a few inches higher than our old Tahoe.
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
Thanks.

I did have to flip the stinger so that the plates were pointing down, so I did have to lower it.

I am wondering about the use of load distribution with the new stiffer suspension.

I think you will really like the new truck.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
I'm working through the same conversion on my Equalizer hitch; I did switch out the 2" shank used for our Tundra and bought a 2 1/2 inch from etrailer.com as I wasn't impressed with the slop when I used the insert to haul a drift boat out West. I ended up with a longer drop (model 90-02-4900), and with it on the lowest 2 holes the height is the same as the Tundra was.

Now I'm trying to decide whether or not to try it with the 6 washers that Colonial put on to set up the Tundra, or just drop to 3 or 4 straight away. That is the number of washers some others with the same TV/RV combo as ours have come up with in optimizing their rig. I'll be trying it out next weekend.

Oh, and after a month now, still love our new GMC 2500!
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
I connected with Sean and Propride and he noted that I would most likely need to reduced the WD. He recommended that I try 4", 4.5", and 5". I have tried 5" and it was noticeably smoother. next I will try the others heights as well.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Driving the Airstream home from storage on Monday wasn't a pleasant experience with the new truck, with quite a bit of porpoising on rough roads. Previous to this trip the only change I had made from my Tundra to the GMC 2500 set up was that I switched out the shank for a 2 1/2 inch model; I managed to get the ball adjusted to within 1/2" of the height I had on the Tundra, which matched up well with the FC 25 coupler height.

After a bit of consultation with my Equalizer manual, a short call to the Equalizer tech guy, and the guidance of some fellow forum members, I decided to start adjusting. Low and behold, the removal of one single washer made all of the difference in the world. And the bonus is that I can slide the bars onto the L brackets now without the tool.

Looking forward to my extended test drive Up North tomorrow; my shorter drive today didn't involve getting passed by any 18 wheelers, but I feel confident that I can make any further adjustments as needed now that I'm much more familiar with the effects of the changes.
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Not wanting to hijack this, but I am wondering what people are using when going from ½ to ¾ tons to lower things? My E3 hitch was already flipped down, and with the ¾ ton being a 4x4 instead of the 4x2 like my 1500 was, I was left with two choices either springing for an extended hitch from E3 or just using a drop down. I opted for the drop down, and we'll see how well that does this weekend but now I have a lot of stuff (adapter to go from 2 ½ to 2" hitch, the drop down and then the E3 distribution hitch). In most cases I would think these ¾ tons are 4x4 (only because unless you get a work truck version, most are), so most are taller than before.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Glen Arbor , Michigan
I have the Propride hitch and turned redid the stinger so that the plates were facing down. This seemed to work pretty well.