Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
HHO Hydrogen fuel cell

Has anyone built their Own Fuel Cells (HHO) to generate hydrogen to increase your gas mileage on your TV?

From what I have read you can save 40 to 70% on your gas mileage using these.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
What you get is a useless piece of crap, and a booklet with economical driving tips. Throw away the "EleCtrOlyZer" and read the booklet, you'll do just as well.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Mark you DFFI did you?

Waste of money...

Pump up the tires 5lbs it's free...
Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I've met several people who said they were in the process of building one. I kept following up with them thinking if it works I'll do it. For some unknown reason they never said they got it off the ground. Maybe they were embarassed they fell for it.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Don't know if they work or not, but here's a video of one that's installed down here and is supposed to work:

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
That looks kind of like a devise that was shown on Planet Green this past summer. They even installed one on the shows motor home. They claimed it worked. But I guess you can't believe everything you see on TV even if it is shown on a tree hugger network.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Looks an awful lot like a perpetual motion machine to me: Take energy from the car's electrical system to process water to produce more energy from the engine. Remember, the energy in the electrical system is produced by the engine.

If this really worked, automobile and truck manufacturers would be on it like ants on honey because it would satisfy fuel economy and reduced CO2 emissions regulations in one step.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Mark you DFFI did you?

Waste of money...

Pump up the tires 5lbs it's free...
Nah, but I hate people that use pseudo-science to rip people off.

Can you install one of these and will it "work"?
Probably yes, but the amount of energy you will recover is less than the energy needed to power the alternator.

Entropy rules!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I have a real nice bridge in Brooklyn I will sell!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Sorry to be flippant! Basic laws of energy state that you cannot get more power out than you put in.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
My brother-in-law built one of those contraptions. He maintains a fleet of trucks for a produce warehouse in Phoenix. The owner was convinced it would save fuel. Quite a nice looking contraption,lots of wires and hoses.After a couple of weeks the only thing that it clearly generated was a paycheck for my brother-in-law. Reminds me of the spark magnifier's sold at the Greyhound park swapmeet in Phx in the late 60's. The only thing they magnified was the seller's income. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
No free lunch

We've been here before - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...cam-41404.html. Funny thing about that last thread -- the company promoting it stressed keeping top speeds down, soft accelerations, etc, for you to get your mpg improvement. Electrolyse water? That takes power. Might as well put a gasohol plant alongside the engine and fuel it with leftover syrup from IHOP -- for free then, right?!

Snake oil...
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Well my experience is a bit different.

I spent a morning installing the HHO, the Spark Magnifier and a few other mileage enhancing devices I bought on the internet. The installation went smoothly and I thought I did a nice, clean job. I'll post photos when I get a chance.

I left the house with half a tank of gas and went about running the various errands I had to do and expected to do about 150-180 miles of driving during the course of the day. I couple hours into my trip, I looked at the gas gauge and saw it was registering 5/8 full. I could have sworn it was only half full when I left. The vehicle was level both times I read the gauge, but maybe I remembered incorrectly. I continued on my way.

Later in the day, after another 50 miles or so I looked at the gauge again. I couldn't believe my eyes. I now registered 3/4 full. It was amazing- I seemed to not be getting miles per gallon, but gallons per mile! I started worrying about overflowing my gas tank, so I aborted my trip and headed straight home. By the time I got there my tank was completely full!

The next day I siphoned gas out of my car into my wife's to fill her tank. See, you need two cars for this to safely work. One converted with all the gizmos and another just to burn the excess gas they create.

I have no financial interest in any of those products, I just wanted to share my experience with you.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Bob,

Why just not add a bottle of it right to the fuel tank. I hear it works wonders
Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Seriously speaking....I discussed "alternative fuels" one day with a good friend of mine who happens to also be a Petroleum Engineer for one of the larger oil companies, and he asked me "what alternative fuel, we don't really have an alternative at this time". And I replied, " how about hydrogen"?

Then, he replied, "where are you going to get the hydrogen?"

I replied, thinking what's wrong with this guy....everyone knows you can get hydrogen from water, and I replied, "from water".

Then he got to the real subject of the matter when he asked, "what are you going to use for the energy to crack the water?"

I replied, "nuclear energy".

His response was, "at this time, that's the only practical way, but we don't have the necessary amount of nuclear energy".

So, practically speaking, at this time, it can't be done, and if we want to do it in the near future, we need to be building more nuclear power plants in this country.

Now, there's a topic to start some arguments!
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #16
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Being born in Brooklyn, I am the right full owner of the Brooklyn Bridge. I even have the deed and it is not for sale. I can get you a good deal on the Williamsburg Bridge. It is being sold as is.

Mark
1883 Burnett St.
Marine Park, Brooklyn, NY
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Getting back to reality...

Now here is something that IS pretty cool....

Disappearing Car Doors: A Revolutionary Concept in Car Technology & Design
Old 01-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
You mean the title I have to the bridge is no good!! And to think the guy who sold it to me was pulling an AS!!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Seriously speaking....I discussed "alternative fuels" one day with a good friend of mine who happens to also be a Petroleum Engineer for one of the larger oil companies, and he asked me "what alternative fuel, we don't really have an alternative at this time". And I replied, " how about hydrogen"?

Then, he replied, "where are you going to get the hydrogen?"

I replied, thinking what's wrong with this guy....everyone knows you can get hydrogen from water, and I replied, "from water".

Then he got to the real subject of the matter when he asked, "what are you going to use for the energy to crack the water?"

I replied, "nuclear energy".

His response was, "at this time, that's the only practical way, but we don't have the necessary amount of nuclear energy".

So, practically speaking, at this time, it can't be done, and if we want to do it in the near future, we need to be building more nuclear power plants in this country.

Now, there's a topic to start some arguments!

Solar panels in the desert. Of course we will need to truck the water in for cracking. You cann't imagine how many people in the lower New England states say Hydrogen Fuel with a look of wisdom..... We don't even get enough sun to get a good tan 9 months out of the year.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Well my experience is a bit different.

I spent a morning installing the HHO, the Spark Magnifier and a few other mileage enhancing devices I bought on the internet. The installation went smoothly and I thought I did a nice, clean job. I'll post photos when I get a chance.

I left the house with half a tank of gas and went about running the various errands I had to do and expected to do about 150-180 miles of driving during the course of the day. I couple hours into my trip, I looked at the gas gauge and saw it was registering 5/8 full. I could have sworn it was only half full when I left. The vehicle was level both times I read the gauge, but maybe I remembered incorrectly. I continued on my way.

Later in the day, after another 50 miles or so I looked at the gauge again. I couldn't believe my eyes. I now registered 3/4 full. It was amazing- I seemed to not be getting miles per gallon, but gallons per mile! I started worrying about overflowing my gas tank, so I aborted my trip and headed straight home. By the time I got there my tank was completely full!

The next day I siphoned gas out of my car into my wife's to fill her tank. See, you need two cars for this to safely work. One converted with all the gizmos and another just to burn the excess gas they create.

I have no financial interest in any of those products, I just wanted to share my experience with you.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Hey there. If you will provide me with your address, I will be glad to bring my fuel hogs by to help with the excess fuel you generate
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote