Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Hey Tundra folk! TRD....Yea or Nay?

A question for all the Tundra folk out there. I'm working on selling my Tacoma to raise funds for a Tundra. I'd like to know if anyone thinks I'd be better off with or without the TRD off road package for towing?
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
I have a 2012 Tundra without the TRD package pulling a 25' and it works fine. I've read several comments on the forum that the off road package is rough on the AS.
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Not needed for Airstream towing....

The stiffer suspension does nothing for comfort on the longer trips and can be tough on the trailer also. Frame & popped rivets most common problems.

Plus with some of the OR option packages you need a stepladder to get in and a parachute to exit.

Bob
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Griffin , Georgia
We recently purchased a new Tundra. We went with the SR5 package that has the towing package, 6 speed automatic transmission, and the back up camera. We sold a Dodge Dually to purchase a Toyota and we are pulling a 31 foot. We love our Tundra. We did not go with the TRD because we heard the ride wasn't as smooth.
Bassrats2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have an 08 Tundra double cab, 2wd, SR5, 5.7L, floor shift 6 speed and tow package. I did not get the TRD because it was way more money and had 20" low profile tires. The payload may be less also. I saw no advantages and it costs more money. I highly recommend getting the floor shift because it makes it real easy to downshift to help save the brakes. I use it when towing and also when I am not towing the Airstream. I love my Tundra BTW.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have the same Tundra as TouringDan. I agree with everything he says.
The Tundra is a great truck.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I have a 2011 grade model Tundra with column shifter and the sport gear paddle shift works great for downhill
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Thanks for all the great feedback. My Tacoma has the TRD package but when I test drove a Tundra TRD it seemed a to be a bit more harsh on the bumps. The backup camera in the mirror might have saved me from the decorative boulder behind my parking spot at the Mexican joint I found for a birthday surprise last week.
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I have a 2008 Tundra CrewMax Limited, special ordered from the factory with the TRD option. The only differences added by the TRD option were Bilstein shocks, a plastic skid pan (not the heavy duty metal one that is an extra cost option), TRD alloy wheels with P275/65x18 BFG Rugged Trail tires, and the TRD decals.

Some of the other options have the TRD name, but they did not come as part of the base TRD package. For example, I also ordered the TRD rear sway bar and the TRD cat-back dual exhaust system (with chrome exhaust tips).

I test drove both the Tundra CrewMax Limited without the base TRD option and another Crewmax Limited with the base TRD option, and the difference in ride with the Bilstein shocks was only slightly discernible as being a little more firm. However, the TRD still rides very soft for a pickup truck. Also, while I got the TRD rear sway bar because I thought it would help when towing, it seems to make absolutely no difference in normal driving. I suspect it might help a little when the vehicle reaches the cornering limits, but hopefully this will never happen when towing (or at any other time). I have heard that the sway bar is NOT recommended for off-road use, as it limits the travel on the rear-end, which is undesirable for four-wheeling. However, I don't off-road with our Tundra, so I have no idea if this is true.

So, to summarize, I think the base TRD option makes no significant difference in ride; and it probably doesn't affect handling while towing either. However, some of the other, more costly TRD options (like larger TRD brakes, and 20 or 22-inch wheels and tires) may make a noticeable difference that may or may not improve ride and handling. Personally, I think the other TRD options I purchased did nothing to improve our Tundra's handling beyond that of the base model (without TRD); and the larger wheels and tires probably do not have the load capacity of the 18-inch wheels with LT tires.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote