Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Carl,
Good for you. Plans are what turn dreams into reality. I just sold my 08 GC Diesel, and loved it as a do-everything vehicle. Felt so good about it at 106,000 mi (30,000 towing the FC23FB) that I sold it to my son. Replacing it with a 2014 GC Diesel for the many technical improvements, higher torque, 8 sp trans, etc. That said, I wouldn't buy a car to just let it just sit idle. In 5 years you could buy a well depreciated GC Diesel (or whatever) with the newer technology. You don't mention your RV experience. If none, I'd suggest that you dip you toe into RV'ing with vacation rentals to see if you really like it. Try different options. Don't worry about predicting fuel prices - they have and will continue rise slower than milk and beer, with short term fluctuations due to season, supply & demand and politics. Stay flexible, travel far when you can, travel near when it makes more sense. I towed over 10,000 miles this year, my neighbor with a similar Airstream towed about 100 miles (great camping isn't far from us in SW Colorado), and we both were happy.

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
That's a very expensive transmission to replace at 105k miles. Don't ask me how I know. Towing a '65 Caravel, not a large or heavy trailer.
Second that. While considering a trade up on the Wrangler, I talked to three different transmission shops here in COS. They all said that the Mercedes transmission would NOT last as long as the NV4500 I had in the current Jeep, but at least it would be very expensive to repair.

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Our plan is to go RVing in some 5-7 yrs and I am looking at what might be a good tow vehicle along the way before we need it. :
I don't think you have a dilemma. Whatever you buy now you'll want to replace in 5-7 years.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Thanks for all the great comments..

Seems like this questions is like the the "4x4 vs 2x4" or "Gas vs Diesel" question having many angles to look at was well..

The plans are for a 28ft #1 and 30Ft #2 choice.. I have seen some good deals on used AS for sure and have thought much about getting trailer first then TV second.. problem is I have no way to get it home or to storage area with what is have on hand.. I do have a e-250 with 5.7lt v-8 van but that is used as carpet cleaning van so it petty well loaded now.

I hear the comments about how the Toe Vehicle landscape will be changing over the next 4-5 yrs for sure..

Like our friend for over the pond was showing you can get good pulling with smaller more powerful diesel engines.. and some great MPG towing at 29-30.. (you sure about that man causes that sounds too good to be true) I see one problem is the US is not allowing the same diesel to be sold here as are sold in other counties due to EPA emission BS.. (big oil at work?)

And ROber:: and TV not towing is a waste of money but what is a TV.. I can toe with my impala LTZ as i do my small utility trailer ?? but i get the point.

Will it get better?? who knows.. and as for deals on TV going forward, at some point the stock market will have to take a body blow for all the money that is being printed and the real cost of health care will start to come in focus, so i see the county heading to another good size down turn for a couple years at least.

That might created some deals or it might go to s#$t.. who know.. but i do have a plan for the most part, or we can do what they did in the movie Mad Max beyond thunder dome when stealing the Truck on the rails... " plan, plan.. there aint no plan... " and just head off into the sunset..

now there's a plan
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
[QUOTE=carl2591;1371023]Thanks for all the great comments..

Like our friend for over the pond was showing you can get good pulling with smaller more powerful diesel engines.. and some great MPG towing at 29-30.. (you sure about that man causes that sounds too good to be true) I see one problem is the US is not allowing the same diesel to be sold here as are sold in other counties due to EPA emission BS.. (big oil at work?)

Hi Carl,
Yep, those figures are 100% correct. i know its hard to believe
Our emissions are pretty tight over here too !
The Nissan specs
2.5ltr
204 BHP
430lbs Torque

I wouldn't want to tow any bigger than a 70's Overlander due to tongue weight and we don't have WDH over here.

Cheers
Tim
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Tim
how much does your unit weight now?? if you had a weight dist hitch how much would you feel good pulling and stopping?? the newer 28 ft's are gross around 9k .

man that is an amazing number for towing.. if that flat land or hills you get that kinda mileage..

[QUOTE=Mulligan;1371274]
Quote:
Thanks for all the great comments..

Hi Carl,
The Nissan specs
2.5ltr
204 BHP
430lbs Torque

I wouldn't want to tow any bigger than a 70's Overlander due to tongue weight and we don't have WDH over here.

Cheers
Tim
Old 10-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
my self i would love to get out asap but with one daughter in college (2nd yr NCSU) and another one in HS (2nd yr) my wife is not about to leave town for a long extended vacations for at least 4 yrs min.. so that why i figure we have at least 5 to 7 yrs to geterdone.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Mileage with that engine/tranny combo can hit 30 at 65 mph while not towing. It drops to 15-19 when towing, nearly the same with a 17' or a 26' trailer. It's the air drag, not the weight on flat ground.

FWIW, we plan to upgrade to a larger tow vehicle to tow the 26' trailer.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
[QUOTE=Mulligan;1371274]
Quote:
Hi Carl,
The Nissan specs
2.5ltr
204 BHP
430lbs Torque

Tim
430 ft-lbs of torque out of the 2.5L four cyl ? Really ?

EDIT: Also regarding miles per "gallon", he may be referring to imperial gallon, which as I recall is something like 20% more than a US gallon. So 29 miles per imperial gallon works out to about 24 or so miles per US gallon.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
[QUOTE=gmw photos;1371321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

430 ft-lbs of torque out of the 2.5L four cyl ? Really ?

EDIT: Also regarding miles per "gallon", he may be referring to imperial gallon, which as I recall is something like 20% more than a US gallon. So 29 miles per imperial gallon works out to about 24 or so miles per US gallon.
Hi, i do not have any reason to fabricate the truth,
This was from a website just now
powerful 2.5-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel engine producing 140kW (up 11 per cent) and a not too shabby 450Nm (up 12 per cent)

and yes the imperial gallon is 17% more than yours, but 24mpg towing a 5000lb trailer is still pretty impressive out of a toy truck !

cheers
Tim
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #25
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Mulligan;1371478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

powerful 2.5-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel engine producing 140kW (up 11 per cent) and a not too shabby 450Nm (up 12 per cent)

and yes the imperial gallon is 17% more than yours, but 24mpg towing a 5000lb trailer is still pretty impressive out of a toy truck !

cheers
Tim
Whats the point?....in 5-7 years we'll be using dilithium crystals.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
[QUOTE=carl2591;1371300]Tim
how much does your unit weight now?? if you had a weight dist hitch how much would you feel good pulling and stopping?? the newer 28 ft's are gross around 9k .

man that is an amazing number for towing.. if that flat land or hills you get that kinda mileage..

Hi Carl,
The Overlander was about 5000lbs
I think with a WDH, i'd maybe go up to a sovereign 31ft, but then the trailer would be significantly heavier than the truck, stopping wise, i love the electric brakes, so much better than our sh@.* over run brakes. i have the Tekonsha Prodigy to keep on the right side of our laws. Towing an US built Airstream is doddle, which is partly because of the heavier hitch weight. European white box caravans and Euro finished Airstreams have the Axles in the centre, which reduces tongue weight but also reduces stability when towing.

just for your info, just did a 150 mile round trip this morning and returned 39.8mpg at average 65-70mph on dual carriage way and motorway.

cheers
Tim
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
[QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;1371480]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

Whats the point?....in 5-7 years we'll be using dilithium crystals.

Bob
Or maybe Scotty will be beaming us all over the place ? http://www.airforums.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif
Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
[QUOTE=Mulligan;1371478]
Quote:

cheers
Tim
Tim,
No, don't take my comments wrong, I was not trying to say you were fabricating anything. It's just that when I saw your original figure of 430 ft-lbs, I thought, wait a minute, the Navarra 3.0V6 diesel only cranks out 405....how are they getting more out of the 2.5L four ? So now it makes sense....the figure you are quoting is newton-meters, and so 450 n-m pencils out to around 330 ft-lbs. Still very respectable for a 2.5L engine. They must be boosting it pretty high to get that. I wish we could get the diesels here in north america in the Frontier. I like my 4.0L gas V6, but I would love to have that 3.0 diesel.

Makes sense now, and yes your mileage consumption sounds really favorable.