Old 05-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
Okay, I could really use some help. We are looking for an Airstream for a growing family and figured that a 25' is about as small as we want to go.

We have a 2006 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD with a special tow package (Ocean Race Edition). It has 315 HP and 330ft/lb torque.

We tow a 23' 3600lb ski boat with absolutely no problems. In fact it pulls the boat up our 300' driveway that is conservatively at a 30 degree angle with absolutely no issues at all (yes...trash day sucks at our house dragging those cans up the hill). We don't plan on putting the trailer down the driveway as the trailer is too big.

The best I can tell, the standard XC90 is good for at most 5000lbs which is 500lbs less than the 25' 2008 SS Safari.

I know everyone is saying stay at 80% of capacity; but my question is how bad of an idea is it to go this route? Doesn't the XC90 rating seem a little low for the power?

Are there other XC90 owners out here that can tell me their experience with an AS?

I really do not want to buy a new car to tow a trailer. Help is greatly appreciated.
Another option: Go down to a 19 foot A/S, and get tents for the kids to sleep outside. As I've posted before, my parents had a tear drop trailer, maybe 14 feet long, and all 6 kids slept in tents. We wouldn't have had it any other way.

I 19 footer will give you the same shower, toilet, kitchen, and dinette as a 25 footer. Those are the things you buy a trailer for. Use the tents for sleeping, and Bob's your uncle. I see you are from California, as am I. If you are camping in the West, days of miserable weather forcing your brood indoors is simply not going to happen. Good tents are bone dry in high winds and rain.

Why would you even want your kids in the trailer with you at night?

Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Stumbled on this pic today. Volvo's make great TV's....

Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Stumbled on this pic today. Volvo's make great TV's....

Ha ha.. That looks ridiculous. The C70 convertible maintains all its rigidity through the floor. This car has major cowl shake and can easily be noticed through the rear view mirror while driving. Volvo had to install 3 heavy rubber dampners located in the corners of the vehicle just to make it somewhat comfortable to drive... add a two + thousand pound trailer to that set up and you have completely defeated the purpose of this car...

IMHO..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Ha ha.. That looks ridiculous.
Wow, I thought it looked great even though it was towing an SOB. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Quote:
add a two + thousand pound trailer to that set up and you have completely defeated the purpose of this car...
Hummm... I think the purpose of the car is to have some fun while cruising. Why would adding the trailer change anything. As one who tows with a similar sized car I can confirm that just because you have a trailer in tow the experience doesn't diminish.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
No hard feelings road ruler,

I spent time in Uddevalla Sweden at the AutoNova plant while working with the design team combined with TWR racing for this vehicle. In my opinion this car was a very beautiful yet pooly designed vehicle. Everything from weight distribution to handling characteristics... If your experience doesnt diminish while towing with this particular vehicle, then you and I have a completely different set of expectations. Thats all.

Vin

Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
No hard feelings road ruler,

If your experience doesnt diminish while towing with this particular vehicle, then you and I have a completely different set of expectations. Thats all.

Vin
No problem Vin.
Personally I don't tow with a volvo car but as you know many do. Generally speaking Volvo's are a rock solid deal. I do know of at least one that is towing a good sized Airstream with a Volvo car and the results have been admirable. I will take the word of someone like you who has experience with this particular model. Perhaps it would not be ideal.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Oh ... dont get me wrong..

Roadruler,

Just to show you I'm not afraid of adventure, here is a picture of my 01' V70R test car. This was equipped with a 5 cyl turbo charged engine. The Jeep on the back is an M38 plus the combined weight of the trailer. I used this combination all over Northern California with the approval of Sweden to test out the brake controller kit that we were offering. The car was strong and the entire set up felt very stable. This car was equipped with a manual transmission which even made it more fun.

I'm just specifically talking about the convertible.. very similar drivetrain but a completely different animal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001V70T-5.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	81053  

Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thnxs Vin... I like it!

I once read that Volvo was one of the few auto makers that actually towed trailers with their vehicles as part of their towing evaluation process.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yes. Volvo takes towing seriously. Thats why the C70 was such a dissappointment.

They have this trailer that acts like a big wind sail. This unit would just beat the crap out of the cars. Funny to watch, brutal testing for the car to endure.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
vlamica,

I am intrigued by the '01 V70R. What brake controller was Volvo offering, and did you use a weight distributing hitch? Also, what was the total weight of the Jeep and trailer? And what was your impression of startability on grades with the manual transmission?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello AlbertF,

I cant recall what Volvo called the brake controller at that time. They were working with a company from finland that would be a direct factory mount or installation at the dealer workshops. The hitch itself was a more of a stinger that attached to the reciever. The total weight of the trailer and jeep was 3300lbs. The car was equipped with load leveler shocks to keep it even. There was no sway control fitted. The factory had me test this comination for about 2500 miles with in a six month period. I had no issues with sway or any panic moments. The car handled the weight well. The clutch was a large dual mass style and i was easy on it. Taking off on a hill would a low RPM engagement and then power down for take off. It also got alot of looks lol.

Vinnie

Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
That's it! I've been thinking of a v70 for both the occasional autocross and an occasional tow vehicle for the '63 t.w... should be around 3500 pounds when I'm done... I didn't know it came in a manual.. I thought the automatics were a bit weak from what I've read.. so the 5 speed may be my salvation!
Marc
Old 03-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #27

Currently Looking...
Harrison , Maine
XC90 and 84' Airstream

OK,
I was planning on buying a 84 34 foot tri-axle Airstream to tow behind my XC90. Having read all of the comments in this forum it doesn’t seem possible now.
I did some homework and it seems to have a weight of the 84’ Airstream is 8300 lbs. I did understand the issues with the transmission but I believe I can deal with that. The pulling capacity isn’t an issue as the previous comment stated this is a Volvo on steroids! So bottom line can it be done?

If not what can I use to tow the 84’ trailer with out breakig the bank?
Tom
Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Tom,

What year is your XC90... 8300 lbs exceeds the tow rating for that car. Transmission issues are a concern. I think you would regret it. Just google XC90 transmissions. I work for a dealership that services Volvo as one of our car lines and transmission is always a hot topic.

Vin