Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
Unlimited Personal Liability

I say go for it, but make sure you have plenty of personal liability insurance just in case.

I too have a Honda Odyssey in the drive way, however, I'm unwilling to exceed that manufacturers tow rating. Even if I'm not at fault if I were to have an accident, I'm afraid of our sue crazy country.

It would only take a couple seconds for an insurance/mishap investigator to determine that "my" vehicle's recommended tow rating was exceeded.

Then all hell would break lose and I for one would also not want on my conscience if someone were killed as a result of the incident, my fault or not.

Accidents do happen, they happen every day. Most often those accidents are caused by human error, not mechanical as today's manufacturing processes are for the most part excellent.

So I say go for it.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Now the insurance FUD is tossed in. It usually shows up rather earlier in weight police threads from what I can recall. I have yet to see that fear backed up by any reality, actual experience, or other evidence (but still looking for good data).

When I look at some of the comments here I begin to wonder if we are getting too comfortable in our RV's while driving down the road.

A major causes of crashes on Nevada Highways is from drivers who fail to keep their attention on their driving. ( see Nevada Traffic Crashes )

If your vehicle 'hides' the influence of the rig's weight and size in handling then perhaps it is easier to get into a state of highway hypnosis; it is more difficult to avoid letting the speed creep up (and let's don't get started on cruise controls!); it is easier to daydream; distractions don't seem to be pulling your attention away from more important things; you find it easier to put off necessary breaks that keep you alert on long drives.

So, if I take the assertions in this thread at face value, assertions that using a vehicle like the Ody as a tow vehicle will be a fearful experience (to the point of needing diapers), then perhaps it follows that driving such a rig would be safer than driving a big truck to tow your Airstream because a driver on edge is certainly paying more attention to his driving.

Maybe tongue in cheek is appropriate for this idea but I think it is something to consider in this discussion, something much more real than prognostications about things that have yet to happen.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
There's been lots of discussion about whether towing a Sovereign with a 2000 Odyssey will work, but very little advice about how to do it.

Will it work? Sure. With an 11,000 lb gross combined weight, it will be bit slow on the hills, but if the owner is willing to run in 3rd at 60 mph (turning about 3200 rpm), it will perform well on moderate grades and only require the driver to slow down when grades exceed 3.5% or so. On a flat road, 4th would be fine but I'm not sure that the Honda shifter allows use of 4th, and 5th is too tall to work.

Payload capacity is fine to handle actual tongue weight plus a reasonable passenger load.

A suitable receiver is the most challenging aspect of setting things up. A custom made unit (or a manufactured unit with modifications) would be necessary to handle the tongue weight plus the torsional stresses of the weight distributing hitch. The van is stable to begin with; careful hitch setup will ensure that the trailer is a pleasure to tow.

The biggest potential issue with the Odyssey is the transnmission. Honda still hasn't sorted those out, because a friend recently had the transmission replaced (under warranty) on his 2007 model. However, I'm starting to believe that as long as the fluid temperature is kept within a normal range and the driver is smooth and controlled with the accelerator, towing in and of itself doesn't harm transmissions, because there are many examples of fwd vehicles towing reliably - including Chryslers, Ford Windstars, and Odysseys. To put it another way, I suspect that if a transmission is going to fail, towing isn't necessarily the primary cause.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Don't doubt that this thread has received a lot of mod restraint. A comment pushing our 'Be Nice' policy was just deleted and this thread is receiving a short time out. I will open it after I've taken a short walk -- recommended! It might do us all a world of good.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #45
_

. , .
*the confused noise of many voices....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
...restraint...
along with the restraint suggestion is this observation, NICELY framed.

-new member, 1 post, controversial topic and NO follow up...

while it's possible this is a simple, sincere, honest question about towing combinations....

and that the o.p. has been chased away by the hubbub* of the loyal forum users...

it is ALSO possible that someone is baiting and catching the unsuspecting fish in the towing seas...

i suspect (without any absolute evidence) that MANY of the crazy-combo towing threads are planted for reasons other than 'help needed'...

so how about everyone spit out the hook and try other topics, where no controversy exist...

are there any of those, bytheby?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
are there any of those, bytheby?
Sure, let's talk about preferred trailer polishing products, tools, and techniques. Surely there can't be any major controversies over such an innocuous subject?

-Marcus
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #47
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Sure, let's talk about preferred trailer polishing products, tools, and techniques. Surely there can't be any major controversies over such an innocuous subject?-Marcus
great topic marcus!

but first lets agree on the simple issue, which has ONLY ONE correct answer...

that being....

what is clearcoat, plasticoat, plasti-kote and clear plasticoat?

with the follow up issue of...

IF i tow at 68 mph, with the fridge running on lp gas will my coatings melt?

before or after the gyms explode?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
great topic marcus!

but first lets agree on the simple issue, which has ONLY ONE correct answer...

that being....

what is clearcoat, plasticoat, plasti-kote and clear plasticoat?

with the follow up issue of...

IF i tow at 68 mph, with the fridge running on lp gas will my coatings melt?

before or after the gyms explode?

cheers
2air'
Excellent point, we must establish those as baseline of course, before we can proceed on to the discusssion about the "best" WD hitch and anti-sway equipment...
Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #49
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Excellent point, we must establish those as baseline of course, before we can proceed on to the discusssion about the "best" WD hitch and anti-sway equipment...
agree completely.

of course the very notion that w/d hitches and anti-sway equipment are in the LEAST BIT HELPFUL...

well THAT'S another false assumption as i understand it...

whoops, now we're back to towing issues

hey lets solve how to best remove scum from the interior vinyl wall covering,

while using solar recycling toilets on tankless trailers banned from some rv parks...

or which brand of dryer fabric softener sheets, best repels mice?

cheers
2air'

Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #50
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Thankyouthankyouthankyou

Is it ok to now?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #51
_

. , .
in the year 2525....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Is it ok to now?
just as long as the rest of US can laugh AT YOU too...

oh wait, i mean laugh WITH u right....

serenity now, serenity now....

cheers
2air'

Old 06-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:

serenity now, serenity now....

cheers
2air'
NO.... I don't use em' yet
Old 06-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #53
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Let's see if I can pack the most controversy into a single post...

Will my Airstream suffer catastrophic filliform corrosion while towing my 34' Classic with a Yugo without any WD or sway control at 67 mph, unbalanced Goodyear Marathon tires, Dexter axles without shock absorbers, and running my Dometic "Flash-o-matic" fridge on LP?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #54
_

. , .
REPOST!!!!

and sorry terry,

but it takes at least ONE reference to the wbcci...

2 make a truly controversial thread...

and did you STFA first?

for example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Does anyone know how to get the sticky stuff off the inside walls when my refrigerator freezer gets cold and my box does not while my black water tank valve does not close all the way and leaves a pile in the middle of the tank of you know what and I have not bought an Airstream yet but this sure is an interesting Internet with a sagging on the left side of my axle should it be turned thirty degrees when I get a bulge on my Dun lop tire which were recalled by the price increase at WBCCI save the Wally campaign? How do I put my dog's name on the forum I am coming calendar rally?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/256461-post39.html

and the answer follow in post 46 or so...

my vote is that everyone should b required to READ THE FIRST 50 POSTS in that thread, before starting a 'nother....

and perhaps the current thread could be exiled to 'game land' and HIJACKING could be moved back where it belongs....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...tml#post256461

as an off topic STICKY...

cheers
2air'

Old 06-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #55
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Second draft...

Will my Airstream suffer catastrophic filliform corrosion under my WBCCI numbers while towing my 34' Classic with a Yugo without any WD or sway control at 67 mph, unbalanced Goodyear Marathon tires, Dexter axles without shock absorbers, and running my Dometic "Flash-o-matic" fridge on LP?

And no, I just "winged it", as far as search...I'll take my 50 lashes with a limp noodle now...
Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 PM   #56
_

. , .
ok, that's better,

now don't 4get to blame someone HERE for the problem or include a vendor dispute and wack on the off shore manufacturers...

but it's OFF TOPIC!

cheers
2air'

Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #57
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
REPOST!!!!

and sorry terry,

<snip>as an off topic STICKY...

cheers
2air'
My wife thinks your avatar is super cute, and she wants to know if it's a rabbit or a guinea pig.

Oh, and what does "hijack" mean? It is an exterior finish term?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #58
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
... she wants to know if it's a rabbit or a guinea pig.
YES it is !

Quote:
Oh, and what does "hijack" mean? It is an exterior finish term?...
actually in finnish hi jack is...

hi nostaa väkivivulla

i think that applies to both interior and exterior applications....

cheers
2air'

Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
The biggest potential issue with the Odyssey is the transnmission. ... I'm starting to believe that as long as the fluid temperature is kept within a normal range and the driver is smooth and controlled with the accelerator, towing in and of itself doesn't harm transmissions,
This is perhaps true of any rig that is pushing things a bit, I think. The driver accommodations for his rig can go a long way towards obtaining a satisfactory experience.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
My wife thinks your avatar is super cute, and she wants to know if it's a rabbit or a guinea pig.
...or an oryx?

Name:   Blank-Oolong-Devil.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  22.2 KB

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Closed Thread