Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks VernD. I agree completely with EGR fouling up the intake, intercooler, and turbo. It happened to us on a 1998 VW TDI we owned, plugged up so bad intake air was barely making it through. Removal of the head and components to clean it up. That was made worse when I was talked into trying 100% biodiesel in 20 below Minnesota temps.

I'm back and forth on the GDE tune, the darn thing runs so sweetly now it's hard to ask for more.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
My daughter has an 01 1.9 TDI & recently bought a new Subaru. I might buy the VW from her. Great running lil car with 245k on the clock. I avoid Bio diesel but anything else I should do to avoid what you went through?

Edit. Mmmn didn't mean to thread hack. You can PM me if you like.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes, VernD, don't let them sit and idle for any length of time, especially in cold weather. That's a recipe for soot buildup through the EGR into the intake system in all diesels.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
UPDATE: Bit the Bullet on ProPride

A few weeks ago, went to the RV show in Houston. If you ever need to confirm your choice of Airstream, spend a few hours amongst the gaudy SOBs at your local RV show.

The Chief Cook & Bottle-Washer and I were quite surprised how much we liked the 27FB in the new "Landmark/Truffle" Decor. As many of you know, Spontaneous Spousal Agreement is a pretty rare commodity after 30 years, so we've come-up with a Migration Path to what the CC&B-W calls our "Forever Airstream"

(1) install ProPride hitch on the 23FB
(2) later this year, install the GDE chip for slightly higher torque, better fuel economy, and exhaust braking. Maybe RAM Birthday present?
(3) in late 2017 or early 2018, sell/trade the 23FB and buy 27FB.
(4) if necessary, get a heavier TV (e.g RAM w/ Cummins). But somebody's gonna have to pry me out of this 4x4 crewcab EcoDiesel, which somehow has become my daily driver, with better mileage than my old Subaru BRZ sports car.

Last week, took delivery of a ProPride hitch w/ 1000# bars. Installed this past weekend in about 5 or 6 hours. Would have been faster but for talking to every neighbor that walked-by, and giving Airstream tours. Sean Woodruff lived-up to his reputation for excellent support.

The 3P IS terribly expensive, but I think it's pretty cheap for a Forever Hitch.

With front fender at the UNLOADED HEIGHT, trailer is within 1/16" of level (tongue height to frame height at rear bumper) and bars are horizontal (maybe slightly down by the stern). Jacks are only up about 3-1/2", but this is a 23D with light tongue weight, and without camping loads in either truck or trailer.

Can't tell you how excellent it is to be able to adjust the WD continuously, especially with the Ecodiesel. Next Saturday, a little outing to the CAT Scales. A little truck-stop food, a few cups of black coffee, and about an hour should do it.
Hareynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hareynolds, sounds like you love your EcoDiesel almost as much as we do.

The ProPride is really nice with this truck/Airstream combination. When at the truck scale, we found if we set the weight distribution on this rig so the truck's front and rear axles carry near equal weight, the truck handles and brakes beautifully. Just effortless and comfortable driving on the interstate in any weather, semi traffic, or road conditions.

The biggest challenge for some is hitching and unhitching the ProPride. Remember it's all about alignment. Back the truck up so the receiver is going straight into the hitch head and you'll get it every time. If the alignment is wrong, you will have problems. By the way, you can move the hitch head sideways if you need to back at an angle, and you can tilt the hitch head with either w.d. jack if the truck is at a tilt to the trailer.

When unhitching, if backing into a site keep backing about a foot or so more than where you want it, then pull forward onto your leveling blocks. Pulling forward takes any twist out of the tires and the receiver will unhitch easier.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Geez, forgot to thank folks!

Thanks to everybody, esp. VernDiesel and dkottum for all the help.

Re: hitching/unhitching the ProPride
I made a point of practicing hitching and unhitching the ProPride in the driveway MYSELF about 6-8 times using only the backup camera on the RAM. I actually think it's easier than a ball hitch, once you realize that APPROACH ANGLE is the critical variable. Easier, but different.

The CC&B-W is not particularly HAPPY that the PP has rendered her and the Walkie-Talkies superfluous. ("WHAT? You hitched up while I was at the grocery store? Does this mean you don't need me anymore?" [waving yellow Walkie-talkie in my face])

Great advice about pulling FORWARD onto leveling blocks. That's the sort of thing I would have figured out about the third or fourth time; there have been a lot of those (e.g. Zip Dee awning). Far better to just learn it up-front.

Re: EcoDiesel
Yup, I am a convert. Amazingly flexible vehicle. Actually DOES "Drive like a car".
Well, a honkin' BIG car. In fact, handles much better than a 1970s era big block family sedan. Only change I've made is Michelin LTX so-called 10-ply LT tires with the dirt-road tread pattern. CC&B-W (NOT a truck person) is impressed with the ride and the QUIET. Dog gets the entire back seat with cheap canvas doggie cover, but spends most of time with her snout out the window.

Ours is the "Tradesman" base model with tow package; wanted the SLIGHT extra payload more than the extra BLING: 1300# on 4x4 crew with 6'4" bed. On our second trip with it, pulled a misbegotten surf fisherman's pickup out of a hole with the tide coming in on Mustang Island. It just always seems like the right tool for whatever job is at hand.

It's not for everybody, but I've been surprised and happy that FIAT hit a sweet spot in the market with the Spaghetti diesel and the 8-speed ZF. Mercedes had a nearly identical drivetrain at their disposal (it's now in the Sprinter vans) but never managed to figure out the American truck buyer.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Family Outing to the CAT Scale to Dial in the ProPride!

Cruised out to LOVE's Truck Stop in Brookshire, TX for an hour of CAT Scale fun with the ProPride hitch this morning.

With the old Equal-i-zer hitch (only one data point, loaded for long weekend):
3320# steering, 3520# drive axle, 4760# trailer, 11,600# gross

Today, with ProPride hitch:

Truck Only (RAM Ecodiesel, crew, 6'4" bed, with kayak rack, 2 adults + dog, full fuel and DEF)
3700# steering, 2600# drive axle, 6300# gross

With 23D, but no Weight distribution (slack bars)
3440# steering, 3580# drive axle, 4720# trailer, 11,740# gross

With 23D and 3" tension on bars
3560# steering, 3400# drive axle, 4780# trailer, 11,740# gross

With 23D and 3-1/4" tension on bars
3600# steering, 3360# drive axle, 4780# trailer, 11,740# gross

Gross - Truck = 11,740# - 6300# = 5440# Trailer Weight
Trailer Weight - Non-WD Trailer = 5440#-4720# = 720# Tongue Weight

That comports with earlier Shurline measurement of 740# with Equal-i-zer.

Steering axle weights are consistently SLIGHTLY high as I (180 lbs soaking wet in cowboy boots) was standing on front scale, NOT sitting in the cab. With the long wheelbase, this probably exaggerated steering axle weight by say 20-30 lbs. Next time I'll stay in the cab...

It DROVE best with 3-1/4" on jacks, i.e. 3600# on front axle.
I'm sure part of that is that the steering felt similar to normal driving.
No sway whatsoever from big fast semis and ~15-20 cross winds, and minimal porpoising (even on the undulating concrete of I-10 west of Houston). Very relaxing to drive, and holds course like it's on rails with 3 fingers on the wheel.

Turning radius seems much smaller, even though the whole rig is 12" LONGER, apparently because the pivot point has moved so far forward.

For camping, we put about 150# in/above the bed (regular bike, Fat Bike, and ~69# tandem kayak), so we should be closer to balanced axles when loaded.

Even the Chief Cook & Bottle-Washer commented that the ride was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Equal-i-zer. Frankly, with a leaf-spring truck I might have stuck with the Equal-i-zer hitch with the 23D; the ProPride just seems to do a much better job preserving the car-like coil-spring ride of the RAM 1500.

We're over 800# below the axle ratings, so I'm pretty comfortable.

Summary: the ProPride seems like a bit of overkill for a 23D, but it's easy to hitch/unhitch, ridiculously easy to dial-in, and SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH.

Here she is with the Big Boy Trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	280805  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Missed this until tonight. Nice job, OP. You hit closer to the bullseye than many who hem and haw. And since he hasn't a warehouse full of them, take time to read thru VernDiesels posts. Plenty of insight.

Doug, get the antilock TUSON discs and the electronic sway control. Better shocks, maybe? Panhard rod? Some poly bushings? Tighten it up and maybe the slop feeling will dissipate. (I believe you know what I mean; might not be power but it's application).

Let the truck run as it is (is my vote). 13-years and 220k with my Dodge and you can bet I'm glad I didn't go for 2006's favorite tuner.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote