Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Help me choose Tow Vehicle(Argosy 20')

So.... I've had a 1972 Argosy for over 6 months in the driveway now. Both my husband and I have 1998 vehicles and we are ripe for a new one which will be the tow vehicle. We aren't interested in a truck as we need it to double as a everyday vehicle as well and we have a small child. I'm not too interested in something huge either which is why I was drawn to the Argosy in the first place as it seemed you could be more creative with your Tow Vehicle choice.

Specs of Argosy:
20 ft
4450 gvwr
2880 fac dry wt
470 tongue wt

Test drove a 2006 V6(non-diesel) Toureg with 34K miles this weekend but the hubby isn't convinced that spending 20K on a 6 year old car is a good idea. What are some other options in our 20K budget(used or new)?

Thanks,
Kathy

Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Any of the midsize SUVs

VW Touareg
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Nissan Armada
Ford Expedition
Chrysler Aspen
Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon

There are also some choices that are marginal but might make sense if your towing pattern is mostly occasional shorter trips in flat areas without a lot of cargo

Chrysler Pacifica
Dodge Caravan
Chevrolet Uplander
Ford Explorer

Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If you don't want a "truck" (pickup) and don't want a "big" vehicle (suv), you have severly narrowed the field, IMHO. I would suggest you make a list of vehicles you would like to own, and then check the towing capabilities of each one.

Even though the Argosy 20 is a smaller and lighter travel trailer, it is still just that, and you live where there are hills and it gets hot in the summer (stress on the drivetrain and cooling system).

Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Enough muscle to pull up a stiff incline.
Enough "Mass" to "Stop and Control".

Muscle to pull and Mass to stop. After
that, it's up to individual.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
I'm not opposed to SUVs. Just not keen on the larger SUVs like a Suburban. I saw someone mention that alot of Argosy owners use Honda Pilots. I saw some folks mention minivans. Just looking for opinions on specific tow vehicles with my trailer specs.
Thanks!
Old 10-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My daughter & son-in-law have an Argosy Minuet 6 metre that they tow with a 2008 Explorer with a v-8 and a tow package. Not a huge vehicle, but big enough for the Argosy. It's a nice ride.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
I'm not opposed to SUVs. Just not keen on the larger SUVs like a Suburban. I saw someone mention that alot of Argosy owners use Honda Pilots. I saw some folks mention minivans. Just looking for opinions on specific tow vehicles with my trailer specs.
Thanks!
Plenty of stuff out there smaller than a 'burb that will work for you.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
If you bump the budget up to around $22k, or can bargain well, consider a used Ford Flex. Quiet, tons of room = great family vehicle. Long wheelbase, short rear overhang = nice towing dynamics. (I've towed my Argosy with the Flex's platform-mate, a Lincoln MKT, and was quite impressed.)

The tow package gives a 4500 lb rating; all you need to do is plug in a brake controller. (My Honda Odyssey, which also tows very well, takes more work to get properly set-up.)

Since you seem to keep cars for a long time, it might be worth considering that the Flex is likely to cost less to keep running than a Touareg. On the used market, the Flex will probably also give you more bang-for-the-buck than a Pilot or Acura MDX. However, since it was introduced only in 2009, a Flex is going to be harder to find.

You have loads of choices here beyond the ones listed above. A 2005+ Nissan Pathfinder can tow 6000 lbs with its strong V6, a 2001-2006 Toyota Sequoia will tow more.

Tom
Old 10-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Yes you have many choices for that size of trailer. Many smaller, lighter vehicles can actually give you more control and stabilty than some larger heavy ones.
The key is in the details of the connection hardware and set up.
Good luck with your search. Note that specs only give you a hint of the vehicle's towing prowess.
Keep up with the research.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
What's wrong wiff a truck. We have two and don't own a car. You think it lowers you. NOT AT ALL. Todays pickups ride as good and look good as any car.You can put a fiberglass cover on it or a cap and secure your stuff like generators or bikes or tools. Now ya dont have to have a 1 ton like me,I had it for another reason, I can pull my trailer with the half ton no problem. We just like the room in the Crewcab.
I get 12 to 14 mpg around town and 20 highway and 15mpg towing.
After yrs of towing,I just dont and will not trust the Small SUV's just a feeling I have DO what you want, its your money and your life.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Hi Kathy,

I bought a 19' Safari and pulled it home from Colorado Springs with a V6 BMW X5 with no problems. The car does drive differently with the weight back there, but it handles well.

You may already have this in the plans, but be sure to get electric brakes put on both the car and the Argosy.

Lynn
Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The Argy should already have electric brakes. A brake controller for the trailer will be required equipment in most if not all states, for a trailer that heavy.

People have made a lot of good suggestions. I would add the Dodge Magnum, though I think it's a discontinued model now. The Ford Edge might also be a consideration. We tow with a full size van, but we have the van for work, so it's our regular car anyway. One nice thing about a van with a small trailer is it holds the overflow - bikes, boat, grill, blue tank, cooler, etc, with plenty of room for us and the dogs.

Just as important as the 'which tow vehicle' question is the 'which hitch' question. And the best hitch for you may change depending on which tow vehicle you pick. Don't let the little trailer fool you into thinking you don't need the right hitch - depending on the size of your tow vehicle, weight distribution will be an important concern to make sure the tow vehicle still handles correctly, and sway control is always a good idea!

Good luck, you've got a lot of good choices to pick through. I was very nervous picking out our tow vehicle, but the right setup makes it a joy to tow

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Don't be fooled by the "bigger-is-better" crowd. Pickups usually have the advantage of payload, but SUV's with enough tow capacity, independent rear suspension, and lower center of gravity will handle better with and without the trailer. A properly set up hitch is essential on either.

Doug K
Old 10-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Of course I don't think there is anything wrong with trucks! Just for me, with an 18 mo old and wanting to use the tow vehicle for everyday scooting around, the truck doesn't jump at me as a logical choice.

I think I'm sticking with the Touareg. I can't afford the TDI, do you think the V6 is enough or should I only consider the V8? The V6 also has tow rating of 7000+