Old 10-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Nobody mentioned a Toyota 4runner! Claims 6,400 lbs tow with 4.0 L six.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
Nobody mentioned a Toyota 4runner! Claims 6,400 lbs tow with 4.0 L six.
....and with good reason. They are great off road vehicles but for towing they have many shortcomings.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
You will never be sorry getting a V8 when pulling a 20' trailer. Think of the worse case......the trailer is loaded, the vehicle is packed with people and stuff, and a huge incline/hill is up ahead.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62bam View Post
You will never be sorry getting a V8 when pulling a 20' trailer. Think of the worse case......the trailer is loaded, the vehicle is packed with people and stuff, and a huge incline/hill is up ahead.
Not a worse case for me. I'm usually in the passing lane with my Ridgeline.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake View Post
So.... I've had a 1972 Argosy for over 6 months in the driveway now. Both my husband and I have 1998 vehicles and we are ripe for a new one which will be the tow vehicle. We aren't interested in a truck as we need it to double as a everyday vehicle as well and we have a small child. I'm not too interested in something huge either which is why I was drawn to the Argosy in the first place as it seemed you could be more creative with your Tow Vehicle choice.

Specs of Argosy:
20 ft
4450 gvwr
2880 fac dry wt
470 tongue wt

Test drove a 2006 V6(non-diesel) Toureg with 34K miles this weekend but the hubby isn't convinced that spending 20K on a 6 year old car is a good idea. What are some other options in our 20K budget(used or new)?

Thanks,
Kathy
Maybe some ideas here,
Can-Am RV Centre (London, Ontario)
Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I like the Toureg, but I would like to hear from some Toureg owners to see what they say. The 07 and later Toyota Sequia (sp) would make a great TV with the 5.7L V8 and the six speed tranny, but it may be too big for you. I would also look at the Nissan Armada with the V8. Happy searching. I think the Minuet is a neat trailer.

Dan
Old 10-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit
we bought a 2008 Ford explorer to tow our argosy. I use it as my every day vehicle. Love the ride and it works for us. It in entirely your call in whatever you are comfortable in. Everyone has their personal preference but it is you that has to live with your decision. I know not helpful... in figuring out our budget and where we were going to try to travel and with who or what in the tow vehicle. The explorer won for us. 2 big labs who are usually wet from doing dock dogs, 2 people, 2 kayaks, towing package, and we are able to use it every day without putting it in storage for "towing only" I as well didn't want a large SUV due to breaking the gas bank, but I also didn't want something I was sitting low in. I liked the way it handled better than the durango, blazer, and a few others. In speaking to a few mechanic friends, they recommended staying away from the Edge & Flex due to engine issues that hadn't been completely worked out yet due to the new design. (20k for a vehicle that may have engine issues... um NO!) I think we test drove at least 40 before we decided on one. Good luck, take your time and try as many as you can!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbiscuit View Post
In speaking to a few mechanic friends, they recommended staying away from the Edge & Flex due to engine issues that hadn't been completely worked out yet due to the new design. (20k for a vehicle that may have engine issues... um NO!)
With all due respect to your mechanic friends, the Edge/Flex 3.5-liter engine has been out for several years in various products. Consumer Reports reliability data, based on hundreds of samples, hasn't shown a history of major engine problems. That's different than conjecture that there are engine problems because it's a "new" design.

You're right in infering that the Explorer's V6 and V8 have been around since (in modern vehicle terms) the dawn of time. I've driven both versions and that V6 isn't particularly powerful (210 hp).

It's hard to create blanket rules ("You need a V8") because not all engines with the same cylinder count are created equal. I've towed my Minuet and a T@B teardrop for over 15,000 miles with my V6-powered Honda Odyssey. Only once did I really wish for more power - climbing big mountains approaching Yellowstone/Tetons. Still, I was able to maintain the speed limit with no overheating issues. On the other hand, if I were to tow with an Explorer or an earlier Touareg (before the later V6 engine upgrade), I'd want a V8.

Lots of choices, lots of different ways to go, and each one has a fan.

Tom