Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
I terms of contacting Can-Am, I would be very hesitant to go down that path. I find their methods questionable at best.
This sounds like another “they sold someone an Airstream to tow with a Yugo” urban legend.

Ever had work done by them? Done business there? I have, and they are excellent. I worry a lot more about my fellow big pickup brethren on the road than any of Andy’s setups.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Earlysville , VA
Toyota Sequoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfortyjoe View Post
We purchased a Toyota Sequoia. You might want to check that out as well. An SUV that is on the Tundra frame with the same V8 engine to pull our 20’ FC. In tow mode I hardly know it’s back there. Seats all fold into the floor makes for lots of inside room. Very quiet and comfortable. Best of luck to you. Joe
Couldn't agree more. I have a 2014 27' International Sterling, and we have traversed the US a number of times and have done it all with our 2008 Toyota Sequoia. It is roomy and very stable on the road and we feel totally safe and secure in this wonderfully made vehicle. We have over 220,000 miles on our Sequoia, and have only had one issue with it: we had just pulled into Fairy Stone State Park, and when I went to start the Toyota to pull out, the starter failed! Otherwise, the Sequoia pulls our AS like it is not even there. When this Toyota dies, I won't think twice about getting another one
BoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Tow Vehicle

Visit several quality transmission shops, or local mechanics.
Ask them how many Suburban transmissions they have replaced vs Tundra.
I have several friends with Sub/Yukons with over 200,000 miles on the original tranny....but no one I know with Tundra has made it that far.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Really

I like up be up front with my bias, I have owned 5 different Toyota's, put 200k-250k miles on most of them, never replaced a transmission. Let's try to give the OP some help, with at least first hand experiences. IMHO. I have owned a couple of Ford PU and put an engine in one and a transmission in the other, but that is not the question.
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #45
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
Visit several quality transmission shops, or local mechanics.
Ask them how many Suburban transmissions they have replaced vs Tundra.
I have several friends with Sub/Yukons with over 200,000 miles on the original tranny....but no one I know with Tundra has made it that far.
Google GM 8sp transmission problems, class action. I know of someone on his fourth one.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:03 AM   #46
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Tundra Works For Us

We tow a 2014 27FB Classic with a 2007 Tundra with Tow Package. We have 300K miles on the truck with about 150K of that towing the Airstream. We are probably near the upper limit of what the Tundra can do but that has not constrained us since we limit our speed to 60 mph. That means you should have no issues towing a 25 ft Airstream with a Tundra. What has impressed me most about our Tundra, far more than its many other attributes, is its reliability: it’s pretty much just been regular oil changes & tire rotations with occasional replacement of things that wear out, e.g. tires, shocks and brakes.

Also, have owned two Suburbans and had good experiences with them as well but can’t speak to their towing capabilities.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
This sounds like another “they sold someone an Airstream to tow with a Yugo” urban legend.

Ever had work done by them? Done business there? I have, and they are excellent. I worry a lot more about my fellow big pickup brethren on the road than any of Andy’s setups.

I don't understand why folks get so worked up about things like this. I never eluded to anything about Airstream towed with a Yugo, I simply said I find their methods questionable at best. I stand by those comments. I am sure they do actually do some good, but I find what I've read here on this forum is very disturbing to say the least. If you worry more about pickups, that's on you, but the laws of physics are mostly (not exclusively) on the big pickups side.

To keep this thread related, I find both the Tundra and Suburban equally robust vehicles in which to tow with, however, my suggestion was Suburban based solely on the OP's mention of having kid(s) as the OP asked for which...Tundra or Suburban.

Folks can dig up recalls on virtually everything, but in the end, you need to sift through all the bravado and pick the best solution for your particular application. Be it Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Can-Am or competitor. The info provided is provided as is and I leave it up to the reader to decide.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Ann arbor , Michigan
Tundra is what I’m Considering too

I have a 2016 platinum max tow f150 w/ 3.5 eco boost.

I love the truck but not the repairs. I have so far replaced the fuel pump, throttle controller, catalytic, and passenger-side turbo charger. Thank goodness I have the extended warranty plan. The paint on the hood also started chipping randomly and Vort said it wasn’t a manufacturing defect. The truck itself is great, but if I had to pay for these repairs, I would be more than angry. I am considering buying a tundra after this truck gets close to the warranty limit
Jimbob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Fort Collins , Colorado
I have a ‘16 Tundra TRD Pro, live in the Rockies, tow campers, boats, flatbed trailers with tractors on them, etc., Never a problem. There’s power to spare. I love the off-road capability, the ride, huge backseat for passengers or storage plus the truck bed for bikes, coolers, gear, etc., I just completed 200 miles off-road on the White Rim trail in Canyonlands National Park. I don’t think a Suburban or Expedition would do well doing all those things. I certainly didn’t see any on the White Rim. But, if you’re hauling the kid’s soccer team around after the game, the Suburban/ Expedition has got me beat.
ColoradoBCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftfield View Post
Hi everyone,
We need some serious help! Our family has started to look for Airstreams and are thinking we will be in the 25 ft range. However, we are having trouble deciding what vehicle to tow it with. Could I get some help deciding if we are better off with a 2014 ( or newer) Tundra or a 2014 (or newer) Suburban. Or neither??? Haha!
Car complaints.com do your home work. The tundra has better resale then a ford or a chevy. Also reliability factor better quality built. The only thing ford and chevy have is better gas mileage. It's hard to beat a Toyota.
1963tradewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
I have a 2014 Yukon Denali XL. It's a beautiful car. However, as a tow vehicle I would prefer an XL Expedition. We currently have our fourth Expedition. And while not nearly as attractive as the GMC, it's sure better looking than the butt ugly Navigator. But I believe either would be the better tow vehicle.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , Washington
My two cents is to ask a simple question. Do you need to seat more than five persons when towing??? If yes then get an SUV and the bigger the better. If not more than five seating is needed then get a truck and your tundra interest is well founded as the quality is well documented. NOW the reality check. Let’s face it airstream trailers have miserable storage. The worst outside storage in its class across the board. Understanding that a truck is awesome for making the trip work better. Room for all the chairs,BBQ, propane, firewood, tools, coolers, folding tables, rake, small toys bikes etc etc. a bed cover or shell can keep it all safe and dry. When went from suv to truck our camping experience was vastly improved
Marko Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #53
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
I’ve towed with a Suburban, a diesel Excursion, a Mercedes G500, and a 5.7 Tundra Crewmax. I prefer the Tundra as it has the highest horsepower in the group and its overall reliability. I’m at 170k now and I sure hope I still have it ten years from now.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Prineville , Oregon
2017 Tundra Super Crew 4x4 5.7 V8 5'7" bed.
2019 Flying Cloud 25FBT.

I live in Central Oregon and pretty much have to go over a mountain to get anywhere. Ochocos, Blue, Cascades, Coast, Mt. Hood, etc. I haven't experienced any problems. Trailer loaded and bed loaded.

The back flip, try fold bed high topper is amazing. Locks with tailgate. 1/3 2/3 or full open. Trying to load a generator and gas and propane inside an Expedition is not something I'd want to do. Pickup is the way to go for us.

Remember to downshift vs. Brakes. The Tudra does that perfectly and easily.

Best wishes
ORFC25FBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Neither one. Both are poor in their ratings for towing. I have a 25 foot AS and I would not tow it with either one of the trucks you named. I travel all over the US and Canada teaching classes to companies on towing safely for the Safety Institute. I’ve had many conversations with Toyota on towing and they flat out told me that they do not build or design their trucks for towing. About 7,700 lbs would max their tundra out. For the suburban it the same chassis as a 1500 pickup truck. But less that a 1500 built for towing. It’s built for soccer mom. I’m telling you to look for a crew can with total towing package, tow mirrors and a truck rates to pull at least 12,000 pounds. You will be much more pleased. If not now you will be looking to trade soon after you buy either one of the other two.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
Welland , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftfield View Post
Hi everyone,
We need some serious help! Our family has started to look for Airstreams and are thinking we will be in the 25 ft range. However, we are having trouble deciding what vehicle to tow it with. Could I get some help deciding if we are better off with a 2014 ( or newer) Tundra or a 2014 (or newer) Suburban. Or neither??? Haha!
I have been towing AS from 25 ft to 34 ft and with the 34 ft I
am using a 2017 f 150 with the 3.5 L ego boost withe the max towing which will pull 12,000 lbs. You will have no problem passing a vehicle on a hill with a 25ft AS
Goodgercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsapp View Post
About 7,700 lbs would max their tundra out.
Curious where that number came from when the 2014 Tundra is rated to tow 10,500 lbs when properly equipped.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
I tow a '72 25 foot Land Yacht with my 2019 Ram Limited 1500. Works like a charm!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Plymouth , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
You really should consider the Expedition EL or Expedition Max (newest edition) before making your decision. They have a much higher pay load, longer wheel base and built much more sturdier. Also, rare need for repairs make it a great towing vehicle. The new 3.5 turbo engine is amazing.

If you want the truck, F 150 has been the best made truck forever, quality in and out. 3.5 turboengine here too.

Whatever you do, don't buy foreign. We were in an semi truck induced accident that rolled the Expedition. The roof did NOT collapse. The tow driver said if we had been in a foreign vehicle or truck we would have been crushed/killed. We were not injured, the Expedition saved us. Safety is very important.
Good luck.
Uh, no. The 3.5 is having major quality issues currently, specifically with cam phasers and belt tensioners. Stay away from the 3.5.
leje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Plymouth , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Curious where that number came from when the 2014 Tundra is rated to tow 10,500 lbs when properly equipped.
Outside of an F150 HDPP, no half ton truck will have the payload to come even close to 10,500
leje is offline   Reply With Quote