Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I know most of us don't trust the EVIC and even if off 10-15%, it ain't bad.

And I have 4.10's although I wish Ram had stuck with the 4.56 gears that are in the older Power Wagons.

The ECO mode comes on a lot if you drive it right, and you can setup an eco display that shows you how you are doing in the fancy menus. I'm starting to like the upgrades in this truck more and more. Some cool features.

I haven't towed far enough or long enough to get a real sense of towing MPG's.
Impressive stuff Bold; the other thing I think about is opening up the "respiration" of that engine on the intake and exhaust side (though my wife would surely complain about the noise). Thanks for the info.
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Evanston , Wyoming
my 65 w200 had 4.88 pull anything just slowly and noisy.
sunskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
I know most of us don't trust the EVIC and even if off 10-15%, it ain't bad.

And I have 4.10's although I wish Ram had stuck with the 4.56 gears that are in the older Power Wagons.

The ECO mode comes on a lot if you drive it right, and you can setup an eco display that shows you how you are doing in the fancy menus. I'm starting to like the upgrades in this truck more and more. Some cool features.

I haven't towed far enough or long enough to get a real sense of towing MPG's.

The thing about the Cummins and MPG is that you need to own it for at least 4-5 yrs for all the additional costs to be offset by the fuel savings. Initial cost for the diesel plus additional maintenance costs.
What is the mileage hand calculated? What is your range on a tank with safe reserve.

Was that reading from all solo highway or a mix of city/highway solo?

Kelvin
Old 03-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #64
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFC View Post
Impressive stuff Bold; the other thing I think about is opening up the "respiration" of that engine on the intake and exhaust side (though my wife would surely complain about the noise). Thanks for the info.
Oh that will be done by Friday
Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Now wouldn't you think if they really were out to get you on this, the same sensor that puts the system in safe mode would have to illuminate a warning/advisory light if they wanted to make the accusation stick.
Don't think this is about conspiracies or someone out to get you. If it was, then all that other stuff the truck stores for maintenance would be a conspiracy too. But there is a lot of stuff stored at the time of an accident that is required by the NTSB that the dealer could give a flip about. It is used for investigative reasons in accidents requiring a serious investigation.

I called my dealer and asked about why no idiot light about exceeding load limit. He said there is two stages of being over: first stage is you have hit and or exceeded the limit. At this point this overload is recorded. The truck will and can continue to operate for a given range above that limit. If you hit the second limit you will be notified with a warning message in your center counsel and then the suspension will enter, as you pointed out, a safe mode.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post

Bottom line, if proven you exceeded your payload at point of accident, and easily done electronically, by default, even if you feel it was not your fault, you ARE at fault and liable, period. What are the odds this would all happen to me, can't say? But, adding up all what the truck cost, AS costs and costs of a litigious society we live in...not a chance in hell was I willing to take this chance any longer.
This may also apply to tire pressure settings. I received an email from my 2016 RAM 2500 notifying me that my tire pressures were out of spec. I had set my rears at 74 for a better ride while not towing. Apparently the truck wants me to stick to the 60/80 settings specified on the door sticker.

So....if I were involved in an accident and if the insurance company had access to the data and concluded that I was intentionally running pressures lower than specified on the door sticker....my claim could be denied and I might be liable to damages to others. How Orwellian!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:

The thing about the Cummins and MPG is that you need to own it for at least 4-5 yrs for all the additional costs to be offset by the fuel savings. Initial cost for the diesel plus additional maintenance costs.
I think 4-5 years is optimistic. I have my fingers crossed my Cummins will out perform needing as much maintenance, or should I say failures, as I had in my Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.7. Even if the Cummins had the same issues at least there is no issue on the Cummins that requires a 'cab off' repair.

Just the pollution crap on ALL the diesels will potentially never let you hit a point of return on your investment on a diesel over a 6.4 gasser. If you are an interstate commercial hauler pulling max GVWR, yes the diesel will probably pay. But for our needs, I don't think so.

Why did I go back to diesel. It's an emotional thing. I just love diesels. Didn't say I made the best decisions.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
My mileage computer has proven to be remarkably accurate over e first 3000 miles of ownership of my 2016 Ram 2500.
I'm pitting it against my hand calculations every time I fill up and it's been within .3 mpg so far!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Plan-B, thanks for sharing this info.

Doug, Payload = GVWR - Curb weight. Curb weight is constant, so payload is indeed a rating (similar to GVWR). Per Plan-B's post, the computer displayed a "PAYLOAD EXCEEDED" message (not an axle rating exceeded message).
Just for the record.

Curb weight is never constant. GVWR minus curb weight is how much load you can carry at any given time without exceeding GVWR, which is the payload capability. GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR are the Ram's ratings.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
I think 4-5 years is optimistic. I have my fingers crossed my Cummins will out perform needing as much maintenance, or should I say failures, as I had in my Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.7. Even if the Cummins had the same issues at least there is no issue on the Cummins that requires a 'cab off' repair.

Just the pollution crap on ALL the diesels will potentially never let you hit a point of return on your investment on a diesel over a 6.4 gasser. If you are an interstate commercial hauler pulling max GVWR, yes the diesel will probably pay. But for our needs, I don't think so.

Why did I go back to diesel. It's an emotional thing. I just love diesels. Didn't say I made the best decisions.
I though about the Ram 2500 with the 6.4L but when I saw the Ram 6.4L tow on Fast Lane Truck last year compared to the Ram CTD I decided not to consider the gas engine. Didn't like the Ford F250 6.2L nor the Chevy 2500 6.0L. I decided to go with the diesel and chose the Ram CTD. As regards to price difference between gas vs diesel I've seen plenty of Airform members chose a Platinum F150 EB that cost more than my Ram 2500 CTD Big Horn. I traded bling for the Cummins. We considered the Tradesman Cummins version which would have saved us even more money but decided on the Big Horn version. I just justify purchasing our preowned Airstream and a new Ram 2500 as a "mid life crisis"

Kelvin
Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Just for the record.

Curb weight is never constant. GVWR minus curb weight is how much load you can carry at any given time without exceeding GVWR, which is the payload capability. GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR are the Ram's ratings.
This is the definition of curb weight from Ram's website at http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

"Curb weight: The weight of a vehicle without any passengers or cargo, but including all necessary fuel, fluids and standard equipment."

Curb weight is clearly constant.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
This may also apply to tire pressure settings. I received an email from my 2016 RAM 2500 notifying me that my tire pressures were out of spec. I had set my rears at 74 for a better ride while not towing. Apparently the truck wants me to stick to the 60/80 settings specified on the door sticker.

So....if I were involved in an accident and if the insurance company had access to the data and concluded that I was intentionally running pressures lower than specified on the door sticker....my claim could be denied and I might be liable to damages to others. How Orwellian!
How did the truck know where to send this e-mail? More to the point, where else is information being sent and for what purpose? Orwellian indeed!
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
UConnect is the dash mounted info and control center that includes GPS, systems monitoring, sat radio etc. It requires an email during registration. It ain't 1999 anymore.

UConnect services can also track your truck if it is stolen.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Your wondering how they know? Got this email out of the blue about 10 days into ownership of the new truck!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	259496  
Old 03-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #75
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I got one of those emails too.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I though about the Ram 2500 with the 6.4L but when I saw the Ram 6.4L tow on Fast Lane Truck last year compared to the Ram CTD I decided not to consider the gas engine. Didn't like the Ford F250 6.2L nor the Chevy 2500 6.0L. I decided to go with the diesel and chose the Ram CTD. As regards to price difference between gas vs diesel I've seen plenty of Airform members chose a Platinum F150 EB that cost more than my Ram 2500 CTD Big Horn. I traded bling for the Cummins. We considered the Tradesman Cummins version which would have saved us even more money but decided on the Big Horn version. I just justify purchasing our preowned Airstream and a new Ram 2500 as a "mid life crisis"

Kelvin
Diesel is truly the way to go for towing performance. If the Powerwagon came with diesel I'd own one. But when people talk about buying them because of the better MPG, it's just a feel-good thing. Big picture you aren't saving more money with the better MPG than your gasser buddy. I just don't see the need to justify it from that point of view. It's semantics I know. I'm just nit-picky, so forgive me.

Totally makes sense in a power/performance view however, diesel wins hands down, especially if we are talking about turbo diesel.

I think towing big is where it's a good consideration.

But if you want to save money, tow moderately and have lower over all cost, a gasser might be better.

My purchase decision probably makes less sense to most since I bought a truck that has lower payload than a standard 2500 just because it has factory lockers front and rear. But I wanted to go off-roading even more this year, so here we are.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Your wondering how they know? Got this email out of the blue about 10 days into ownership of the new truck!
Bruce
What does the "detailed report" give you guys?
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
What does the "detailed report" give you guys?
Voting record and bowser history for the past 10 years.
Sorry... Couldn't resist!
More of the same, any warning lights that have illuminated are reported.
It's way past 1984 baby!
Bruce
Old 03-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bruce, vehicles that test themselves and sent out reports. More good than bad for most people.

We were out today and when getting in the new Ram to come home she got an advisory on our iPhone "17 minutes from home, traffic conditions normal". Traveling down the interstate we get an advisory on the GPS advising of an accident or traffic accident and the mile markers involved long before reaching it. Oil change intervals are determined by sensors in the engine according to need, not miles. Unlock/lock/start the truck from 2000 miles away. A monthly use report, and the list goes on.

These functions can be viewed as tools or spies or both. Love it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Bruce, vehicles that test themselves and sent out reports. More good than bad for most people.

We were out today and when getting in the new Ram to come home she got an advisory on our iPhone "17 minutes from home, traffic conditions normal". Traveling down the interstate we get an advisory on the GPS advising of an accident or traffic accident and the mile markers involved long before reaching it. Oil change intervals are determined by sensors in the engine according to need, not miles. Unlock/lock/start the truck from 2000 miles away. A monthly use report, and the list goes on.

These functions can be viewed as tools or spies or both. Love it.
I love it all too!
The benefits are awesome. In case anyone is wondering these technologies are not exclusive to Ram... Every manufacturer has their version of this kind of reporting!
Bruce
Old 03-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Bruce
I've never received such an email for my 2015. My free internet UConnect has expired. Seemed lame and expensive. I could upgrade my UConnect 8.4 with Navigation but its $600 so I won't be doing that either.

Kelvin