Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #57
Rivet Master
 
Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 995
Images: 1
Plan-B, thanks for sharing this info.

Doug, Payload = GVWR - Curb weight. Curb weight is constant, so payload is indeed a rating (similar to GVWR). Per Plan-B's post, the computer displayed a "PAYLOAD EXCEEDED" message (not an axle rating exceeded message).
__________________

__________________
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #58
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Steel coil springs won't squeal on you.

This is something that is talked about at length on the RAM forums. From what I understand, you have to GROSSLY exceed the weight limit. Something like a pallet of bricks in the bed.
__________________

__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 42
Fascinating discussion on payload and the air suspension electronics, much more food for thought on selecting a TV for a heavy tongued trailer.

Back on the subject of the 6.4 Hemi, I just had a salesman who has been selling Ram trucks for 20 years tell me that while not towing, the 6.4 gets about the same mileage as the Cummins. Anyone with real world mileage on the 6.4?

Not sure if this claim is true or based on the fact he has plenty of 6.4s on the lot right now and zero 6.7s other than a completely stripped Tradesman.
__________________
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #60
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFC View Post
Fascinating discussion on payload and the air suspension electronics, much more food for thought on selecting a TV for a heavy tongued trailer.

Back on the subject of the 6.4 Hemi, I just had a salesman who has been selling Ram trucks for 20 years tell me that while not towing, the 6.4 gets about the same mileage as the Cummins. Anyone with real world mileage on the 6.4?

Not sure if this claim is true or based on the fact he has plenty of 6.4s on the lot right now and zero 6.7s other than a completely stripped Tradesman.
I know most of us don't trust the EVIC and even if off 10-15%, it ain't bad.

And I have 4.10's although I wish Ram had stuck with the 4.56 gears that are in the older Power Wagons.

The ECO mode comes on a lot if you drive it right, and you can setup an eco display that shows you how you are doing in the fancy menus. I'm starting to like the upgrades in this truck more and more. Some cool features.

I haven't towed far enough or long enough to get a real sense of towing MPG's.

The thing about the Cummins and MPG is that you need to own it for at least 4-5 yrs for all the additional costs to be offset by the fuel savings. Initial cost for the diesel plus additional maintenance costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160327_181249.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	259478  
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I know most of us don't trust the EVIC and even if off 10-15%, it ain't bad.

And I have 4.10's although I wish Ram had stuck with the 4.56 gears that are in the older Power Wagons.

The ECO mode comes on a lot if you drive it right, and you can setup an eco display that shows you how you are doing in the fancy menus. I'm starting to like the upgrades in this truck more and more. Some cool features.

I haven't towed far enough or long enough to get a real sense of towing MPG's.
Impressive stuff Bold; the other thing I think about is opening up the "respiration" of that engine on the intake and exhaust side (though my wife would surely complain about the noise). Thanks for the info.
__________________
MIFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Evanston , Wyoming
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 14
my 65 w200 had 4.88 pull anything just slowly and noisy.
__________________
sunskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #63
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I know most of us don't trust the EVIC and even if off 10-15%, it ain't bad.

And I have 4.10's although I wish Ram had stuck with the 4.56 gears that are in the older Power Wagons.

The ECO mode comes on a lot if you drive it right, and you can setup an eco display that shows you how you are doing in the fancy menus. I'm starting to like the upgrades in this truck more and more. Some cool features.

I haven't towed far enough or long enough to get a real sense of towing MPG's.

The thing about the Cummins and MPG is that you need to own it for at least 4-5 yrs for all the additional costs to be offset by the fuel savings. Initial cost for the diesel plus additional maintenance costs.
What is the mileage hand calculated? What is your range on a tank with safe reserve.

Was that reading from all solo highway or a mix of city/highway solo?

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #64
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFC View Post
Impressive stuff Bold; the other thing I think about is opening up the "respiration" of that engine on the intake and exhaust side (though my wife would surely complain about the noise). Thanks for the info.
Oh that will be done by Friday
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member
 
Plan-B's Avatar
 
2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Now wouldn't you think if they really were out to get you on this, the same sensor that puts the system in safe mode would have to illuminate a warning/advisory light if they wanted to make the accusation stick.
Don't think this is about conspiracies or someone out to get you. If it was, then all that other stuff the truck stores for maintenance would be a conspiracy too. But there is a lot of stuff stored at the time of an accident that is required by the NTSB that the dealer could give a flip about. It is used for investigative reasons in accidents requiring a serious investigation.

I called my dealer and asked about why no idiot light about exceeding load limit. He said there is two stages of being over: first stage is you have hit and or exceeded the limit. At this point this overload is recorded. The truck will and can continue to operate for a given range above that limit. If you hit the second limit you will be notified with a warning message in your center counsel and then the suspension will enter, as you pointed out, a safe mode.
__________________
Greg

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #66
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 870
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post

Bottom line, if proven you exceeded your payload at point of accident, and easily done electronically, by default, even if you feel it was not your fault, you ARE at fault and liable, period. What are the odds this would all happen to me, can't say? But, adding up all what the truck cost, AS costs and costs of a litigious society we live in...not a chance in hell was I willing to take this chance any longer.
This may also apply to tire pressure settings. I received an email from my 2016 RAM 2500 notifying me that my tire pressures were out of spec. I had set my rears at 74 for a better ride while not towing. Apparently the truck wants me to stick to the 60/80 settings specified on the door sticker.

So....if I were involved in an accident and if the insurance company had access to the data and concluded that I was intentionally running pressures lower than specified on the door sticker....my claim could be denied and I might be liable to damages to others. How Orwellian!
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member
 
Plan-B's Avatar
 
2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

The thing about the Cummins and MPG is that you need to own it for at least 4-5 yrs for all the additional costs to be offset by the fuel savings. Initial cost for the diesel plus additional maintenance costs.
I think 4-5 years is optimistic. I have my fingers crossed my Cummins will out perform needing as much maintenance, or should I say failures, as I had in my Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.7. Even if the Cummins had the same issues at least there is no issue on the Cummins that requires a 'cab off' repair.

Just the pollution crap on ALL the diesels will potentially never let you hit a point of return on your investment on a diesel over a 6.4 gasser. If you are an interstate commercial hauler pulling max GVWR, yes the diesel will probably pay. But for our needs, I don't think so.

Why did I go back to diesel. It's an emotional thing. I just love diesels. Didn't say I made the best decisions.
__________________
Greg

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #68
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar

 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,385
Images: 1
My mileage computer has proven to be remarkably accurate over e first 3000 miles of ownership of my 2016 Ram 2500.
I'm pitting it against my hand calculations every time I fill up and it's been within .3 mpg so far!
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #69
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Plan-B, thanks for sharing this info.

Doug, Payload = GVWR - Curb weight. Curb weight is constant, so payload is indeed a rating (similar to GVWR). Per Plan-B's post, the computer displayed a "PAYLOAD EXCEEDED" message (not an axle rating exceeded message).
Just for the record.

Curb weight is never constant. GVWR minus curb weight is how much load you can carry at any given time without exceeding GVWR, which is the payload capability. GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR are the Ram's ratings.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #70
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
I think 4-5 years is optimistic. I have my fingers crossed my Cummins will out perform needing as much maintenance, or should I say failures, as I had in my Powerstroke 6.0 and 6.7. Even if the Cummins had the same issues at least there is no issue on the Cummins that requires a 'cab off' repair.

Just the pollution crap on ALL the diesels will potentially never let you hit a point of return on your investment on a diesel over a 6.4 gasser. If you are an interstate commercial hauler pulling max GVWR, yes the diesel will probably pay. But for our needs, I don't think so.

Why did I go back to diesel. It's an emotional thing. I just love diesels. Didn't say I made the best decisions.
I though about the Ram 2500 with the 6.4L but when I saw the Ram 6.4L tow on Fast Lane Truck last year compared to the Ram CTD I decided not to consider the gas engine. Didn't like the Ford F250 6.2L nor the Chevy 2500 6.0L. I decided to go with the diesel and chose the Ram CTD. As regards to price difference between gas vs diesel I've seen plenty of Airform members chose a Platinum F150 EB that cost more than my Ram 2500 CTD Big Horn. I traded bling for the Cummins. We considered the Tradesman Cummins version which would have saved us even more money but decided on the Big Horn version. I just justify purchasing our preowned Airstream and a new Ram 2500 as a "mid life crisis"

Kelvin
__________________

__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 Hemi vs 6.7 Cummins ajnjarv Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 60 05-11-2016 12:39 AM
2016 Ram 2500 Cummins 20" Tire Pressure Llando88 Tow Vehicles 15 12-01-2015 10:01 AM
Hemi-Powered Ram 1500 versus 30' Classic LittleRadio 2001 - 2005 Classic 34 10-19-2014 10:10 PM
2010 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi? DesertDog Tow Vehicles 29 07-11-2011 03:24 PM
Ram 1500 hemi Mifair Tow Vehicles 12 10-28-2010 10:41 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.