Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Scott & Others

I am a fan of the manual five speed. I am not a fan of the 4x4 feature. It was with the price of the truck when I got it. Since I have had this truck my usage of the 4x4 was mostly to show off to my neighbor accross the street

We got the '95 truck last year when it had 111,147 miles on it. At that moment I had the following done to it: ... all new U-joints, ... new fly-wheel & clutch pack, ... front & rear transmission seals, ... front and rear transferr seals, ... new timing assembly, ... all new brakes, ... new water pump, ... new serp belt, ... new plugs-wires-dist cap and etc, ... new shocks, ... new hoses and new filters too. The rear axle also has been added with new seals, bearings and etc. My Brother In-Law works at a local neighbor-hood type of garage. All the parts are of NAPA shop discount and we gave Uncle Benny $200 for his services.

I did this cause I did not want to work on it next to some Hwy and ditch.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hola, Rodger,

My '93 Dakota was rated to tow 7200 lbs, but it required some specific equipment to get that highest rating.

- V8 engine
- HD suspension/transmission/1-ton payload
- Steel wheels
- Transmission and power steering coolers
- 5-bladed clutch fan
- HD cooling
- E-rated tires
- 4.10 rear axle ratio

And I opted for the standard cab and long bed, and took delivery of it in November, 1992. It was the first V8 Dakota Youngbloood Motor Company in Madison, GA had every seen, and it had 58 miles on it when I picked it up. (I think everybody at the dealership took it out.)

It was an astoundingly GOOD truck. Knock on wood, I hope I'll be able to say later that it was not the best truck I ever had.

Towing my '31 over the TN/KY/GA part of Appalachia bringing it home, I spent a lot of time in the left lane going 55 mph with the engine turning over 3500 rpm.

And this truck was no kind of wimp. About 0 to 50, it could out-accelerate most of the cars on the road. The '93 was the first and only year for the Holley fuel injection, and this engine/powertrain/drivetrain was STRONG.

I do not agree with you that power is only acceleration. Power is also climbing, and I did not think that my 318 had ENOUGH.

Climbing those hills, by the way, I keep an eagle eye on the coolant temperature. It bumped 210, but never went over.

I eventually put over 3500 miles on the Dakota pulling that Airstream. I never killed it, but I was very happy to get something more capable.

Hehe, if I could figure out a way to hook them both together, my "new" Dodge could tow BOTH my Airstream and my Argosy and stay within its weight limits (both trailers EMPTY, tow 13,820 lbs, GVWR 9,00, GCWR 19,000 lbs).

Something I've noticed recently has been some talk here on the forum about certain vehicles that are not too heavy but have really nice horsepower ratings and tow limits. These look really nice, but then I learn that the horsepower max is at 4700 RPM or some really fast number, and I wonder if anybody really wants to go uphill carrying an Airstream with the motor SCREAMING.

My old Dakota did it ROARING, and I found that most unpleasant. And I had the V8. It was just taking care of business, but it was unpleasant, nevertheless.

And Rodger, this is not directed at you so much as it into space, except for the single point that POWER is more than accelerating the load. It plays a big part in maintaining velocity, too, when things depart the straight and level. Then I wonder if one can ever really have enough.

Lamar

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Rats,

Oh, moderator, oh, moderator, please delete this post. It was a duplicate.

Thanks,

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Lamar

In reading your reply, I enjoyed it for it was well written.

I believe that you have four items that I do not have. The 318, the steel wheels, the rear axle ratio and the power steering cooler.

So far, the one item that I do not enjoy is the lack of viewing down the sides of the trailer while going in a straight line ( lane ).

I also pull the same trailer with a 1966 Le Baron. Nuthin but up pointed thumbs with the 66. When I do it this way the ole 440 just humm's. The problem is the car is as long as the trailer. This makes it hard to over-steer while backing.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Old 10-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia

Now there's a sweet number that brings back memories! I had a '69 Chrysler New Yorker with a 440. Long as the Titanic, factory rated with over 10:1 cmpression at 375hp and 480 ft-lbs of torque. There was many an early 70's Chevelle and Camaro that I waxed with that car. While the Chevy guys were running smog pumped 350's, I had the old high(er) compression big block, with a Sure-Grip rear no less, so she left twin black marks when you punched it. That car would break traction with both rear wheels on dry pavement at 45mph if you punched it. I had a big old Carter 4-bbl on it that had a mechanical secondary linkage. It'd bog if you just floored and held it, so what I'd do is pump it once to give the accelerator pumps a chance to give a good squirt to rap it up, then floor it. Worked like a charm. It had the speedo that was about 3 feet wide across the dash and a 2.73 rear end. I'd run her out of numbers and keep on cruising. I'd back off and it'd take about 10 seconds to drop below 120mph (the upper boundary of the speedo). Car and Driver tested a '69 Fury police car with the same drivetrain (440 and torqueflite) and it'd do 147mph on top. I doubt my New Yorker was much off that. Man what a car!

I rebuilt that motor and have it on the stand up in my dad's garage. Got all the mopar performance goodies in it, as well as some after market stuff: forged pistons, ported and polished heads, oversized valves, cam 3 grinds bigger than that used on a street hemi, new rings & bearings, etc. Bottom line she's about 500hp, just waiting to go into my '65 Sport Fury

I like 440s !