Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
HELP....'07 Suburban, 2500, 4x4, 6.0 liter,

HELP....'07 Suburban, 2500, 4x4, 6.0 liter, 4 spd. tranny, with ALL extras is a wonderful tow vehicle. We've had it since Sept. of 2010 and we've driven it to Washington DC; Charlottesville, VA; Lake Geneva, WI; and most recently to southern Indiana along the Ohio River for Thanksgiving. It pulls the AS effortlessly BUT every once in awhile (5 times since early September) it just plain WILL NOT START! It doesn't grind, it doesn't labor, it doesn't do anything! The key is turned and NOTHING! If jumber cables are attached, NOTHING. It's like there is a 100% disconnect between the battery and the starter. Often times, I've been able to tell when it is going to happen because when I turn the engine off, the interior lights may not go on or there are no lights and no sound from anything.

Thanksgiving we were in Indiana along the Ohio River. The day after Thanksgiving, snow covered the ground so we decided it was time to head back to Ohio and call it a season. Time to put the AS away for the winter. We started to prepare for our return when IT WOULDN'T START. Here we are in a campground 30 miles from anyplace and the car doesn't start. 160 sites in the campground and we are the only ones camping - there is not another living soul in sight. We've been there for nearly a week and have yet to see anyone working in the campground store/office. After getting the CG owner involved, we finally called a towing service in the nearest town of any size (30 miles away). When he arrives, he needs to move the Suburban down onto the main lane so he can hitch up to it and haul it back into Madison, IN. Moving the car 20' was enough to undo whatever had been done, I touched the key and it started right up. No wimpers, no problem at all - it started as if it had been waiting for someone to turn the key and start it up - the same experience I've had in the past. WHAT'S GOING ON?????? Why is it "cheking out" every once in awhile? At the present time, it is in the Chevy garage being looked at. They tell me their BEST electronics person is working on it but it has been there since Friday and I can't see they've had any success figuring out the problem.

Has anyone had such a problem? Does anyone have any ideas.....suggestions??? short of bombing it into oblivion?? We really like the Suburban but I can't take not knowing if it'll start EVERY time I go to start it.

I look forward to any type of response - especially those that may have an explaination. Thank you in advance for any positive comments.

pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
Hey pilgrim...........sounds like the same issue I have with our Dodge PU. Once in a while, it just will not start......period!! EXCEPT, if I put the key in the ignition, turn the key so I can place the transmission in neutral.........and it starts. I have been told by a mechanic that the gearshift/transmission has too much play and when things are not lined up right..... the PU will not start. I know it sounds weird.......BUT IT WORKS! Good luck.

62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1989 32' Excella
Limestone , Alabama
Agree with 62bam - the neutral safety switch is a leading possibility - trying to start with the transmission in neutral with foot firmly on brake to prevent unintended rolling may work. With key in on position (foot firmly on brake again), moving the shift lever to drive and then back to park - then trying to start might lead to a start as well. Sometimes during a time of not starting, bumping the gear selection lever toward the park position will also allow the vehicle to start. The "cure" is likely an adjustment of the shift linkage and/or replacement of the neutral safety switch.

Safe travels!!

war eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
One time my wife's car wouldn't turn the starter at times. It might be fine for a week or more then, nothing. We had lights and a strong battery. Jumpers wouldn't help. Took it to the dealer. Turns out the power cable to the starter had a loose connecting nut. It was a cheap fix that cost a LOT because of the location of the cables on the starter. The mechanic almost had to disassemble the car to tighten the nut.

I hope it never happens again.
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois

I would have them check for one of 3 things: If the security light comes on when you try and start it, there is an issue with the security system module not recognizing your key.

If nothing comes on (no dash lights at all) I would have them check the ignition cylinder in the column and/or the fuse block for some bent terminals.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
We have pulled EVERY fuse to check that possibility - all seems fine. There is NOTHING when it will not start. I just got it back from the dealer yesterday - they had it for a week checking as much as they possibly could. Could find nothing EXCEPT the fust box cover. They said it had to be on tight or it wouldn't start - ??? It wasn't. They tightened it up, it started and they tell me I shouldn't have any more problems. I find that hard to believe but until I learn differently, I'm hoping they are right. It is starting right now - but I'll always wonder...... Hope they got it!!! It always seems to happen when we're in strange places - alone or far away from home. We'll see what happens next. Thanks for comments.......I'll keep you posted.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Fuse block tightened or cover? Cover wont do anything to cause your symptom. Looes fuse block will, however.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If the problem happens again, hopefully it won't, check all the grounds straps and cables. Sounds to me like a bad ground somewhere. I have spent hours chasing issues on the positive side in various vehicles only to find a simple fix was a loose ground. First think I look for now on any intermittent electrical problem is a ground issue.

Happy Holidays
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I agree with the loose ground theory. It has happened to me. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I have had the same problem on all my 03 company trucks it is the double connector on the battery on the hot side!
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I suspect gear lever selector switch....
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Years ago I had a 1989 Suburban that had a similar problem but it would loose power while going down the road and I mean all electrical power and it would not restart.Of course it would never duplicate the problem for the dealer. So I finally figured it out by keeping a voltmeter with me and it turned out that there was a main wiring harness that came from the engine compartment and had a bolt attatching it to a block on the firewall and then into the cab. There was a large 12 volt supply line in that harness that was loosing contact inside that block due to coorosion on the terminal. Cleaned it and tightened the harness back and that took care of it. So maybe your problem was taken care of with the fuse block.Good Luck
1991 Airstream Excella 1000 34ft (SOLD)
1994 Chevrolet Crew Cab dually 2WD 6.5td
2005 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 2WD 5.3
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
May want to keep a rubber mallet in the suburban.

r carl is offline   Reply With Quote