Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Angry Heavy Enough - go big or go home

Well getting ready for our trip down south - and having second thoughts - .....

The last go round on tow vehicles - again brings up the point about having enough beef in the front.

In layman - "dumb bimbo blond" (no disrespect to the real smart Blonds- tee hee)

It does not take much to move or pull something on two/four wheels - just a bit of torque! But to keep it moving, you need power and to keep it moving in different terrain - up and down good gear ratios from what we have gathered.

When it comes time to stop - good brakes in the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle is pretty much a given!

But if either fail - from where I stand you are pretty much toast! You see no brakes in the front- puts all the pressure on the trailer brakes and they are bound to go too because they are designed for it's own weight not the weight of the tow vehicle.

If the trailer brakes go - then you will be pushed around - I think some of the yuky yuks here have this thing about BIG in front will save your life - not true - BIG in front means more mass to crash harder.

If your rig set up is comprable weight then balance might save your life if maintain directional control - but if the weight in the back is heavier than the front - it is very simple - you are joined by a ball!!!!!!!! a pivoting ball no less - so guess what - you are going to jacknife - no matter how much power you have up front- no matter what the gear ratio - it will happen with the slightest bit of sway or loss of directional control in a situation of no brakes.

So for all those skeptics my advice would be GO BIG or GO HOME! so if you loose your brakes in the back and she does go - it will just be a flick of the butt as your trailer jumps off the ball and slides gracefully past you.....and if your up front brakes go - you will be big enough just to mow over anything in front of you and again the trailer will just jump off the ball and slide by you......

Seriously I had to laugh when my Propane guy came to deliver our juice for the second time this winter (cold!!!! winter to see him twice) I just picked up the mail and came around the driveway to see the new rig set up - and the first thing came to mind was this forum and all the debates on How beefy should your tow vehicle be.

So how is this for beef! ....and we would never run out of propane either
Attached Images

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
That is about the same size as my tow vehicle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4500 and house.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	10298  
Old 02-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Well, my tow vehicle has three brake systems -- (Service, Parking, and Emergency)and is more than double the weight of the trailer. One thing about air brakes, if you lose air you have PLENTY of brakes - they lock on!! --..-- (unless they are not properly adjusted)

Truck also serves us well as an over-night camper with two bunks.

don
Old 02-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Go Big or Stay at home

I love it. Fill it with petrol and go for miles. Only problem is I dont think my credit card limit would be able to refill it LOL.
Greg and Maxx