Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Heads Up SuperDuty owners!

Ford has just recently issued an extended warranty program for Super Duty models with diesel engines.
Of course the trick is to not have exceeded the first 100K which is difficult for most 7.3s. Our dealer said this just came out in the last couple of months. I am not sure how most owners will know about the program since it does not seemed to be advertised. We may be the exception but did not receive anything in the mail from Ford.

Since our turbo has been acting badly for the past 6 months (with no cure except replacement) it took me about 1 hour (reading small print) to sign up for an extra 100K mile/ 3 yr. warranty on the engine & turbocharger. It was not inexpensive but less than a new turbo & certainly less than a new engine & turbo if the turbo let go and caused catastrophic damage.

My dealer recommended the new warranty because they knew it was very doubtful that my turbo could be saved. We squeezed in at 98K miles on our 2003 truck.

All 6.0 liter folks should certainly look into this due to its new turbo’s less than stellar history.

Your dealer should have an information sheet that is titled:
SuperDuty Power Stroke Engine Plans
Extended Service Plans for SuperDuty Vehicles with Power Stroke Engines.

Diesel Engine Care (6.0, 6.4 & 7.3 liter engines)
7-year / 200K mile coverage.
13 components covered (turbocharger, block, heads, EGR cooler, internal lubed parts, oil pump, timing chain/belt & cover, fuel injection pump, fuel pressure regulator & fuel injectors)

Diesel Engine Care Plus (same engines, same coverage schedule)
21 components.

Both plans feature $zero deductible, roadside assistance and is transferable.

Another issue you might want to check on is the main water pump pulley and the serpentine belt. My experience is that Ford is not notifying 6.0 owners on this problem.
I found out about this one the hard way. Fortunately I was in town and only driving about 5 mph when there was a loud pop and everything shut down. No power steering or brakes. We were able to steer into a grocery parking lot and a wrecker was there in just a few minutes. The pulley had literally backed off the water pump. New water pump, pulley, belt and wrecker was $500+.
Ford knows this pulley may come loose and cause the serpentine belt to fray or fail completely.
If I had known to ask my dealer to check the situation it is my understanding that they have a fix for this and would have taken action under warranty to prevent the occurrence.

Hopes this helps.
martin.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Damn,
I was just at the dealer today. Guess I will have to go back tomorrow.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Bottom line...

Sorry. I posted and forgot to share the amount.

The dealer (thinking unwisely that em is a nice guy) waived $100 worth of BS making the final amount $1,920.00. Like I said, less than the alternative and we can make it to the CanOpener with a new turbo.

em.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
_

. , .
approximately how much moolaa martin?

on edit, THANKS for the figure. about what i expected.

it's likely a good deal 4u IF you've got pending 'issues'...

i'm wondering IF the price varies by truck model year and current mileage or region of the usa.

likely it does...

i've still got 46k of coverage left on the original warranty (05 truck) but i'm thinking about this, since i received the mailer last week too.

i'm going to stop in at the dealer and ask for a copy of the details.

we had a thread on this issue 3 weeks ago.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...els-37343.html

but with so many 6.0 owners here it's good to have another heads up...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Dang! I did look and search before all that writing. Completely missed it.
Sorry for the redundant thread.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Thats ok. I missed it the first time! Thanks for the info.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think it is nice that Ford is selling you new, longer, extended warranty plans for their trucks.

Happy trails!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley
Ford has just recently issued an extended warranty program for Super Duty models with diesel engines.
Of course the trick is to not have exceeded the first 100K which is difficult for most 7.3s. Our dealer said this just came out in the last couple of months. I am not sure how most owners will know about the program since it does not seemed to be advertised. We may be the exception but did not receive anything in the mail from Ford.

Since our turbo has been acting badly for the past 6 months (with no cure except replacement) it took me about 1 hour (reading small print) to sign up for an extra 100K mile/ 3 yr. warranty on the engine & turbocharger. It was not inexpensive but less than a new turbo & certainly less than a new engine & turbo if the turbo let go and caused catastrophic damage.

My dealer recommended the new warranty because they knew it was very doubtful that my turbo could be saved. We squeezed in at 98K miles on our 2003 truck.

All 6.0 liter folks should certainly look into this due to its new turbo’s less than stellar history.

Your dealer should have an information sheet that is titled:
SuperDuty Power Stroke Engine Plans
Extended Service Plans for SuperDuty Vehicles with Power Stroke Engines.

Diesel Engine Care (6.0, 6.4 & 7.3 liter engines)
7-year / 200K mile coverage.
13 components covered (turbocharger, block, heads, EGR cooler, internal lubed parts, oil pump, timing chain/belt & cover, fuel injection pump, fuel pressure regulator & fuel injectors)

Diesel Engine Care Plus (same engines, same coverage schedule)
21 components.

Both plans feature $zero deductible, roadside assistance and is transferable.

Another issue you might want to check on is the main water pump pulley and the serpentine belt. My experience is that Ford is not notifying 6.0 owners on this problem.
I found out about this one the hard way. Fortunately I was in town and only driving about 5 mph when there was a loud pop and everything shut down. No power steering or brakes. We were able to steer into a grocery parking lot and a wrecker was there in just a few minutes. The pulley had literally backed off the water pump. New water pump, pulley, belt and wrecker was $500+.
Ford knows this pulley may come loose and cause the serpentine belt to fray or fail completely.
If I had known to ask my dealer to check the situation it is my understanding that they have a fix for this and would have taken action under warranty to prevent the occurrence.

Hopes this helps.
martin.
Thanks Martin.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Shop around

Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley
Sorry. I posted and forgot to share the amount.

The dealer (thinking unwisely that em is a nice guy) waived $100 worth of BS making the final amount $1,920.00. Like I said, less than the alternative and we can make it to the CanOpener with a new turbo.

em.
I purchased the warranty last month. There was a thread at DieselStop.com on this topic, and they were shopping dealers. A dealer in Kentucky agreed to sell the policy for 1,475 cash/credit card - they wouldn't finance it at that price. Since it's a Ford policy, it's good at any dealer.

It's also good for diesel Excursions. My dealer told me it was only good for Super Duty trucks. When I got my policy in the mail I read it, and it states that Excursion engines are covered as well. I faxed it to my dealer.

_______Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Damn,
I was just at the dealer today. Guess I will have to go back tomorrow.
Dayum...my 1996 just rolled over 100k this week so I guess I am SOL...good thing I have the earlier model of 7.3

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Check 'em all

I had exactly the same thing. The water pump pully assembly mounting bolts pulled out of the aluminum casting. Folks, let me tell you .......it was no picnic to loose all power steering, electrics, etc. when the serpentine belt went with it, while in motion. Lucky I was not in major traffic. A mandatory tow to repair...and not cheap. I got rid of the truck.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I went to the dealer today and asked the Diesel service manager. He never heard of it. He had only heard of the 100K warrenty. I guess I will have to check with another dealer.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I went to the dealer today and asked the Diesel service manager. He never heard of it. He had only heard of the 100K warrenty. I guess I will have to check with another dealer.
did you not get the mailer from ford on this?

there was a link to website/online info as i recall.

sorry but i pitched the mailer already.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #14

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If it came out in the past few weeks no. It is waiting for me at my sisters.