Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
It was meant as a joke (hence the smiley) -

I was arguing a few posts back that the F250 doesn't make much sense as compared with the fully decked out F150 - and that the F350 is the logical move for a significant increase in payload / towing capacity.

But that going to DRW was over some other arbitrary imaginary line and was now 'ridiculous'.

It's hard to convey sarcasm on line sometimes...
Ah....got ya !
And yes, regarding the heavier pickups, I would encourage anyone who "needs a truck" to go test drive a late model one ton duallie. If you have not been in a modern one, I will almost guarantee you, it is not what you think it is.....you will likely be pleasently surprised.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You forgot about the pink flamingos and the yard gnomes. Those things can really add up.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
alright, I am about to talk weights here....dont laugh...dont say crap

I weight 147 lbs

My wife (and dont you dare say I said this) may weigh in the neighborhood of 170 or so right now (had a baby 5 months ago - she will likely lose 10 more pounds in the coming months).

Our kids make up what...uhh...less than 40 lbs....

So people = 350 ish lbs
Bicycles total, I have no idea - I will guess 50 lbs total
Canoe is highly unlikely to be honest in most all trips, but lets include it also...it has to be 75 or more lbs..ill say 100 lbs?
Future generator = 150 lbs
small portable grill = 20 lbs
let me stop there and sub-total = 670 lbs

Toungue weight of the 28' Ive been told when all is said and done can get to 1200 lbs

Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:

Im so confused by the interwebs...folks will talk of diesel reliability and longevity...and others will talk about them being a cost sink hole....I do not have a dog in any of these fights, but would enjoy making an informed decision.
Realistically, in my opinion, the difference in engine longevity for these diesel pickups compared to a gas engine is of little significance. Honestly, a well maintained modern gas engine will likely outlast the body and interior of the truck anyway. The thing that really ends up causing us to get rid of high mileage vehicles is the sub systems ( electrical, heating and air, etc ) begin to get unreliable, so we start thinking....."I don't trust this thing to go far from home in.". Yet the engine is often still fundementally sound.

So, don't buy a diesel for it's longevity, nor for the hope of having lower overall operating costs. Buy it because you need or want 600 lb-ft of torque.
When I drop the gooseneck of the four horse trailer on the pin, and load up to go to a show, we are right at 21,000 lbs gross combined. In this scene, a turbocharged diesel is a very nice prime mover.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
there should be some basic calculator we can plug in our numbers and out comes TV's that fall within those acceptable limits....plug and chug

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
there should be some basic calculator we can plug in our numbers and out comes TV's that fall within those acceptable limits....plug and chug
Ha ! .....well, there is, in sort of a back handed way. That is essentially how the heavy trucking industry works. You buy a tractor, and a trailer, and you're good to go, for up to 80,000 lbs ! If the load you are hauling today means you are only at 60,000 lbs....you could say you have "plenty of margin" left over. You could also say that you are not being very efficient.......
Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You don't have to keep the same tow vehicle forever you know. As you accumulate more stuff you can always get a bigger truck. You could start out with a Tundra or F150 and get a bigger tow vehicle as your family grows.

Perry
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I kinda thought the numbers I posted above already seemed to exceed payload for tundra? Not sure about f150..need to go see what payload it offers...?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
that was an interesting analysis of gas vs. diesel...

if it is purely about torque and towing capacity then I can just choose it only if I need the capacity...otherwise I could escape the 5-7K dollar increase in price...that would be nice.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'm not well versed in diesel but from my neighbors comments i've heard that having a diesel sit between your trips is not a good thing. i seem to recall that you said the truck will just be used for towing, you should research that aspect of use.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
True a dually may well be overkill, but remember: it's not what you do, but how you look when your doin' it. Nothing says cool hand like a Big Ole Ford Super Duty, F-350, diesel dually, long bed, four wheel drive, crew cab, King Ranch, with extra large mud flaps, side pipes, locomotive horn and a welded on brush guard. A truck like that just drips testosterone and is guaranteed to put lead in you pencil and a smile on your face.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Pharmgeek,

As you might have noticed the used F150 and f250s are running pretty close to the same price range right now. I have a 2006 f150 and it pulls my 29' ambassador fine. But it weighs less than 5k. I guess is that the new 28-30' trailers are weighing close to 8k? So for $5,000 more I would go with the f250. I don't know if the fuel savings are worth going diesel, will this also be your ride to work?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
True a dually may well be overkill, but remember: it's not what you do, but how you look when your doin' it. Nothing says cool hand like a Big Ole Ford Super Duty, F-350, diesel dually, long bed, four wheel drive, crew cab, King Ranch, with extra large mud flaps, side pipes, locomotive horn and a welded on brush guard. A truck like that just drips testosterone and is guaranteed to put lead in you pencil and a smile on your face.
Ha ! testosterone nuthin'..... around here we call it the Kowgirl Kadillac. ....and believe me, most of these sweet little cowgirls can not only kick yer butt....but they DO LOOK GOOD doing it !!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Pharmgeek,

As you might have noticed the used F150 and f250s are running pretty close to the same price range right now. I have a 2006 f150 and it pulls my 29' ambassador fine. But it weighs less than 5k. I guess is that the new 28-30' trailers are weighing close to 8k? So for $5,000 more I would go with the f250. I don't know if the fuel savings are worth going diesel, will this also be your ride to work?
Exactly, its baffling...the F250's are not more expensive really used than F150 ecoboost...

Another layer - I looked at new GMC gasser 2500HD tonight, they price around 32,000 if I recall, 0% financing...this starts to inch as close to 25-27K with 3-4% interest

Ram new gasser 2500 - 36,000 (not sure if good financing deals there)

New F250 gasser - 35,000

Tundra 5.7L V8 (all of these are crew 4x4 standard box btw) - ~32,000

F150 ecoboost, tow package, with 8' box (only other was the short 5' it seemed) was right below 30,000

I have not yet looked at 3/4 ton gasser used models yet....only the diesels so far...

I think looking at the numbers, and how I use my TV (ONLY for towing and for boat, almost never to get around) gas will be better for me and save me alot of money up front...

Im off now to look at used gasser 3/4 tons.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
wife and I are pretty sure the 28 flying cloud will be it for us...POSSIBLY the 30 - but we think we would rather pocket that 10k and suffer the slight loss of space, some storage, and save on the weight and length a tad...

we will be going to spend some more time in them at the dealer next month and make a final determination...if we love the inside of the 30 better, then perhaps we will go that route...

The 28 is 7600 GVWR, the 30' 1200 lbs more than that at 8800 lbs....

also the 30 has 54 gallon fresh water tank, vs. 39 for the 28.....that sounds nice for boondocking, but I imagine *most* of our camping may not be boondocking, but when we do, we can load up extra water no biggie. The 30' also offers more carrying capacity 1600 vs. 2400

Oddly the 28 hitch weight is 976, the 30's is 880

If I go the 3/4 ton route, these both would pull almost identical I would think....we shall see...