Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Yes, That's My Truck - It's a Long Story

I sure miss my F250 diesel. She could tow (or carry) anything!.....

Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I'm following this thread with interest, and will be curious to see what the OP ends up with, both trailer and tow vehicle. It is often discussed on here that stiff one ton trucks can damage the fragile aluminum structure of these trailers. I am curious what the concensous is regarding the use of the air safe brand hitch ?
I searched and found an old thread regarding it, and it sounds like it might be a good solution.
The reason I throw this into the mix, is because it sounds as though the OP is potentially wanting to take a lot of items with him, and having the payload that a one ton dually has could certainly be beneficial. Cake and eat it too if the air safe works as advertised.
We have a F350 dually, and I can tell you these DRW trucks make for a very stable tow platform. And as a crew cab, there is plenty of room inside for the family. For thirty grand, a guy could find any number of nice ones in the used marketplace.

Thoughts from anyone that has used the air safe ?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Highland , California
First and foremost make sure the tow vehicle can handle the GVWR of the trailer, in the case of my 25FB the GVWR is 7,300 pounds - dry is only 5,500 or so, but you can't go by that. Just assume the trailer is fully loaded. Then, add items to your truck, yourself and family included.
My truck is rated for 9,200 pounds (2011 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0 gas), and my family and I are light (560 pounds between all four of us). So, I have plenty of wiggle room. Before the 25FB I had a toy hauler 5th wheel (9,000 dry, 13,500 GVRW) and a Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel. The general rule is buy the truck you need.. in my case, a gasser is just fine.

John
Old 06-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I know nothing about this product gmw photos...but being that this product does this, assuming it does work, it would be something you could use on a 3/4 ton as well?

Anyway...unless I REALLY need a 1 ton, I would like to avoid it...the extra cost...its all just adding up...

What I am entertaining now is like this one below...I spoke to carmax rep today and priced out warranty for it as well:

2005 Ford F250 King Ranch in Omaha, NE- 9330453 at carmax.com carage

F250 diesel 4x4 with topper, 2005, 84K miles..
with 6 year or 125K warranty brings total cost right at 25K
this would give me 6 years of bumper-bumper coverage...and after that, it still would be a pretty youthful diesel (I guess)..

This truck would only be used as a TV, to pull the boat sometimes not far....conservative estimate of 5K miles per year I doubt in 5-6 years I will tag up to 41K miles...

I need to check the payload on this vehicle too....

Thoughts?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazongb View Post
First and foremost make sure the tow vehicle can handle the GVWR of the trailer, in the case of my 25FB the GVWR is 7,300 pounds - dry is only 5,500 or so, but you can't go by that. Just assume the trailer is fully loaded. Then, add items to your truck, yourself and family included.
My truck is rated for 9,200 pounds (2011 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0 gas), and my family and I are light (560 pounds between all four of us). So, I have plenty of wiggle room. Before the 25FB I had a toy hauler 5th wheel (9,000 dry, 13,500 GVRW) and a Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel. The general rule is buy the truck you need.. in my case, a gasser is just fine.

John
John,
In my opinion, the trouble with going by "tow ratings" as stated by the truck manufacturer is that often the total number of pounds "it can pull" is based on perhaps a 8% tongue weight, as we might see with a boat trailer. So the real question comes down to how much tongue weight will the travel trailer in question have ( at maybe 12 to 14% ) and how much "stuff" does a guy want to throw in the bed of the truck ? in other words, the age old problem of, are we gonna run out of payload capacity....and even MORE important ( insert a bit of sarcasm ) how willing are we to ignore whatever "stated ratings" of truck, trailer, tires and hitch ?

I'm getting the general sense from the OP ( and he can jump in and correct me if I am wrong ) that he would like to stay within manufacturers stated limits, all the way around. If so, like it or not, this often leads us down the path of super duty/HD 250/350 (2500/3500).

And further, and again this is "opinion" only, if one is going 350/3500 then in my mind DRW is a no brainer. That is what we did, and as I stated before, the DRW really makes a stable vehicle, with essentially very little downside. The drawbacks seem mostly to be the dually is not as good on snow, compared to my other truck (also 4WD, but SRW ) and of course when the time come, there are two more tires to buy, but that is not much of a cost factor overall.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #34
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
I would not consider the 2005 Ford diesel. The 6L power stroke brought Ford a lawsuit and I can speak from experience that the repairs are costly. Injectors, turbo, EGR , oil cooler, two heads replaced to the tune of $12K since the warranty expired. Removed the ERG replaced with a delete kit, chip and it's been fine for over a year, the longest the truck has gone without repairs. This truck was taken care of with early oil changes, never abused just a poor design that was hurried into production to meet emission standards, the heck with the customer.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I know nothing about this product gmw photos...but being that this product does this, assuming it does work, it would be something you could use on a 3/4 ton as well?

Anyway...unless I REALLY need a 1 ton, I would like to avoid it...the extra cost...its all just adding up...

What I am entertaining now is like this one below...I spoke to carmax rep today and priced out warranty for it as well:

2005 Ford F250 King Ranch in Omaha, NE- 9330453 at carmax.com carage

F250 diesel 4x4 with topper, 2005, 84K miles..
with 6 year or 125K warranty brings total cost right at 25K
this would give me 6 years of bumper-bumper coverage...and after that, it still would be a pretty youthful diesel (I guess)..

This truck would only be used as a TV, to pull the boat sometimes not far....conservative estimate of 5K miles per year I doubt in 5-6 years I will tag up to 41K miles...

I need to check the payload on this vehicle too....

Thoughts?
Well, my comment to you regarding that specific truck ( and those in that series ) is that you really need to do your homework regarding them. I have an 06 F350 and it too has the infamous 6.0 PSTD. You really ( did I say REALLY yet ? ) need to know what you are getting into when considering any diesel, but especially if considering a Ford 6.0 or 6.4. I'm not trying to start a brand war here, nor am I saying "don't buy" a 6.0 or 6.4, but I AM saying you need to go into it with eyes wide open.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The only thing better than an Airstream at consuming dollars is a diesel truck. Unless you are going to full time in the western mountains I can't see an advantage over a gas truck. Maintenance is at least twice a gas vehicle on a new truck and many times that on an older one. Fuel is higher priced which offsets the miliage gain from a diesel so I see it as a lose lose unless you are rich and just want one.

Perry
Old 06-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
regarding the air safe hitch, there is a user here on the forum that goes by Airstreamer67 that seems to be still active. He took part in a thread that went dormant in 2008, at that time he was using a air safe hitch. Might want to get his comments on the air safe. I know nothing about it from a personal standpoint. But it looks like an interesting concept, and as I said, if it really works as advertised, then it could be a solution to the relative fragility of the A/S body. Hopefully Inland Andy will weigh in on it. He sure has a lot of experience with all this stuff, so it sounds like a guy would do well to heed his advice.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #38
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Google Ford diesel forums and start reading. The King Ranch model adds alot of heavy weight items that detracts from your payload. And as I remember you can't get a max payload package at that trim level.

I learned a lot from Trailer Life's Towing guide 2013

http://dcd96xmek71bc.cloudfront.net/...ced%20file.pdf

I'm still researching too!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #39
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am waiting for a comment from my friend Andy at CanAm on this one!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
The F250 is an interesting beast from my research. When equipped with a gas engine it has good payload capacity at 3000lbs plus. However when loaded, it's towing capacity is limited as it's such a heavy vehicle.

Go for the diesel and you can pull a house - however the payload capacity drops to 2650 lbs.

This is all in comparison with a 2012 F150 with HD Payload and Max Tow packages. Payload is 2150lbs. When fully loaded it can pull 8900 lbs. Add a few options to the F250 and the payload difference is not that great.

For recent model year pick-ups in the Ford line-up it's the F150 ecoboost - or the F350 if you really need extra payload. The F250 doesn't seem to buy enough extra capacity.

My opinion...
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
The F250 is an interesting beast from my research. When equipped with a gas engine it has good payload capacity at 3000lbs plus. However when loaded, it's towing capacity is limited as it's such a heavy vehicle.

Go for the diesel and you can pull a house - however the payload capacity drops to 2650 lbs.

This is all in comparison with a 2012 F150 with HD Payload and Max Tow packages. Payload is 2150lbs. When fully loaded it can pull 8900 lbs. Add a few options to the F250 and the payload difference is not that great.

For recent model year pick-ups in the Ford line-up it's the F150 ecoboost - or the F350 if you really need extra payload. The F250 doesn't seem to buy enough extra capacity.

My opinion...
well, and further, while we're confusing the issue with "opinions" . I'll throw another in here: to my mind, when considering whether 250/2500 or 350/3500, you might as well go with the one ton, because there is essentially no ride penalty to it in comparison to the 3/4 ton. And as I said before, if going 350/3500....what the hey.....might as well get DRW, because again, little downside to it.
....my opinion based on my experience.....
Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
.....might as well get DRW, because again, little downside to it.

...now that's just ridiculous!