Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Has Anyone Ever Sheared a Driveshaft?

My son owns a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins Diesel. The other day I was moving my 2016 FB22 Sport up to our property from it's parking area at the bottom of our driveway. The truck pulled the trailer up the mountain like it wasn't even connected....absolutely no problem.

Once in the parking area of our property I accidentally got the truck stuck in a snow bank that lined the parking area.

Due to ice on our half-mile driveway I had chains on the front wheels of the truck. The truck was in four-wheeled drive "low". When the truck got stuck the front wheels started to "dig into the gravel parking area". Using a technique that all of us have used used I began a "rocking motion" to get the truck out of the hole. I was successful in getting out of the hole but then a "loud bang" occurred. What had happened was I had "sheared the front driveshaft". Plus when the shaft let go it took out critical wiring that controlled the brake system, exhaust and etc. This is a truck that claims the ability to tow "over 17,000 lbs" pulling a trailer that weighs less than 4000 lbs. The dealer took some time to declare that I had done nothing wrong and the damage would be covered by warranty. Mileage on the truck was slightly over 11,000 miles.

The fact that this happened has really caused me the question the "repaired truck" as a suitable tow vehicle. Has anyone ever had an issue with a Dodge Ram 2500 like this?
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Mono City , California
Take a look at this info maybe it will help answer your questions. I have repaired many medium and heavy duty vehicles with driveline failures, from your explanation, it sounds like your failure was from shock load, some photos would be helpful.
Hope this helps answers your questions.

http://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/fil...store=original
TBSarfari28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Your rocking motion trick well break a lot of stuff. You should be glad they repairing it under warranty, because that's considered abuse.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:50 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
Your rocking motion trick well break a lot of stuff. You should be glad they repairing it under warranty, because that's considered abuse.
I told the dealer the "whole story just as it happened". Plus they contacted Chrysler and after looking at the situation "declared" the failure not caused by abuse. The question in my mind is that this truck is rated to pull 17,000 lbs. The pressure on the vehicle was no where near that when the shaft literally "exploded". After the truck was towed away I found six fragments lying in the snow of the u-joint and the yoke. Just sayin'
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
With chains on the front axle only and the rear axle on soft ground you were requiring the front axle to take the full load. The front shaft is no where as strong as the main drive shaft.

Another thought. My 88 Dodge Ram had 2 different ratios in the axles. The front axle was 2% higher than the rear. This was so that on snow the front axle was always pulling a bit harder than the rear to maintain steering control while plowing. That worked great on snow but was absolute hell on dry pavement. The truck would jump up and down if I was driving in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement. While I don't think that would have effected your situation I note it just for information as some thing you should check before engaging 4 wheel drive on pavement.

And yes I had the shaft on a 1953 Ford Mainliner try and come up through the back seat on a normal start up in a parking lot in town. That lifted the rear of the car.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post

The fact that this happened has really caused me the question the "repaired truck" as a suitable tow vehicle. Has anyone ever had an issue with a Dodge Ram 2500 like this?
I wouldn't be concerned at all about the repaired truck. The dealer is taking care of the issue. U-joints tend to blow apart when people are rough on them or from lack of maintenance.
Sounds like you were spinning the tires and caught some traction. In 4 wheel low the torque from the engine/transfer case was probably doubled and the shock found the weak link.

Go to a truck pull sometime. The inexperienced guys with street trucks toast u-joints all the time. First you hear a loud bang, then sparks, then parts go flying, the truck finally stops they hold the trucks driveshaft over their head and parade it around like a trophy
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
This is a very expensive lesson...you don't put chains on the front, as it is weaker than the rear..and you don't horse these newer engines as they have lots of torque...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote