Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Has anyone dropped the height of a F250 4X4 diesel?

I want to purchase the F250 diesel however it is to difficult for my wife to get in and out of. I thought if I added different running boards that were lower to the ground that would solve the problem. It will not because the body of the vehicle is to high for Claire to reach the handle on the passenger side used to assist in entering and exiting.

The dealer recommended that I lower the truck about 2 to 3 inches by using a lowering kit. They said it would not adversely impact safety, towing, corning etc.

I have absolutely know experience in this area and do not want to purchase the vehicle if it will adversly impact towing the AS.

Thanks .

John

Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Try the 2 wheel drive first it's about 2" lower. If she can't get into it lowering a 4X4 will not help.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
There was an article awhile ago that talked about the advantages between a 2 wheel drive truck and a 4 wheel drive truck. One advantage was the fact the 2 wheel trucks were 2 to 3 inches lower.
It was explained that this amount made a big difference (improvement) when it came to the vehicles handling and stability when solo and when towing.

It makes sense. The lower centre of gravity is a good thing.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Try a small plastic type step stool. We have the same issue with our 2012 F-250 4x4. You can use the stool to assist your wife in and then just place it behind the cab or behind her seat if you have the crew cab. I also considered an additional step but was more worried she may slip while trying to use it. The step stool gives her a small platform to step up on and then on to the running board. Makes a bit more work for you but she will appreciate it. Love our F-250.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have not done it. But I have a friend who did have his F250 4x4 lowered. He pulls a fifth wheel and the new 250 was too tall for it. Dealer did the lowering and everything is fine. I think it was 2 inches. I know he said he could have just ordered it that way if he had known the bed height ahead of time.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I want to purchase the F250 diesel however it is to difficult for my wife to get in and out of. I thought if I added different running boards that were lower to the ground that would solve the problem. It will not because the body of the vehicle is to high for Claire to reach the handle on the passenger side used to assist in entering and exiting.

The dealer recommended that I lower the truck about 2 to 3 inches by using a lowering kit. They said it would not adversely impact safety, towing, corning etc.

I have absolutely know experience in this area and do not want to purchase the vehicle if it will adversly impact towing the AS.

Thanks .

John
There is a sub culture around here that does that to all sorts of trucks. They also put little small diameter wheels on them so that they look like hot wheels. I don't think I'd tow with one. Thinking of my Dodge 3/4 ton , I think most of what makes it high is the suspension, I don't think I would want to mess with that and then tow.

I do have step bars on the sides of the cab, they help a lot.

Nerf Bars & Step Bars | Free Shipping

Ken
Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
On this last weekends episode of Powerblock Trucks, they did a spindle drop on a 2006 GMC half-ton. It looks like a reasonable way to do what you're thinking about. Many years ago I was an auto mechanic, and did several projects like this for customers. There are usually handling drawbacks that need to be overcome with these sorts of projects, but the approach they use may minimize them. I suspect the parts are available for Fords. If your truck is a 4X4 it may not work, I don't know. Here's a link to the episode you can watch on the internet:

PowerBlockTV - Video
Old 08-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Half tons are easy to mess around with. The 3/4 and 1T trucks not so much. The OP should look at vans of that capacity instead. 4WD is overrated and unneeded for the most part (even in "oilfield hotshot" down miles of unpaved roads in all weather with loads far heavier than any A/S in tow).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
4WD is overrated and unneeded for the most part ).
Two points,

1. that statement doesn't carry a lot of weight with me coming from someone living that far south in a place that flat.

2. For the most part may be true. The rest of the part where you do need it makes it priceless.

Ken
Old 08-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
It may be possible to put an air ride suspension on the truck. Some systems have a "kneeling" feature for the rear air bags for ease of loading. It may be worthwhile talking to the air bag manufacturer if they have way to make the front and rear kneel down.
Manufacturers are starting to do this. The 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 have this as an option.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You guys must be kidding. This is simply the wrong vehicle recommendation for urnmor and his wife. It's not going to get any easier for her over time either.

For example a VW Touareg TDI (diesel) will pull that trailer with ease, handle it better, ride better, stop it at least as well, and the Mrs doesn't need gizmos to get in and out. And 28 -30 hwy mpg when not towing.

doug k
Old 08-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We wanted 4WD in case of snow in winter, but we discovered it's a lifesaver year round - to back our trailer in, we need to go over the grass, and after it rains it turns into mush. I've done all kinds of damage to the yard in 2WD mode, but 4WD mode has no problem. I've gotten in the habit of hitting the 4WD mode before the front wheels get on to the grass, regardless of recent rain, just to be safe.

I agree on the height issue - a truck as tall as ours is silly for 99% of the uses out there. Everything that you can carry has to be lifted that much further to get it in the bed. I thought the truck was supposed to make things easier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You guys must be kidding. This is simply the wrong vehicle recommendation for urnmor and his wife. It's not going to get any easier for her over time either.

For example a VW Touareg TDI (diesel) will pull that trailer with ease, handle it better, ride better, stop it at least as well, and the Mrs doesn't need gizmos to get in and out. And 28 -30 hwy mpg when not towing.
He didn't ask about other vehicles - he asked about lowering an F-250.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I completely agree with doug unless urnmor wants a truck for other reasons.

Since urnmor lives in Maryland, he probably will have a hard time finding a 2wd truck in this location. If he is buying used he can buy 2wd, he will just have to travel to the south to locate one.

My 08 Tundra is 2wd and I don't think it is any lower than the 4x4 Tundra. I wish it was.

Dan
Old 08-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Alternates to the 3/4-tons urnmor's been looking at may be a pleasurable distraction about now... On the 3/4 Ton, with all the geometry changes that would happen I would not consider pulling any frame blocks or altering springs trying to shave off two inches cab height.

This is a topic I'm happy to see more of, please keep them coming! We're going on to the 100th or more post amongst five or more threads in urnmor's research into tow vehicles (see Tow vehicle, Tow Vehicle Part 2, TV part 3 the Saga Continues, 2006 F250 diesel, Tow vehicles on eBay...) and he has not fatigued, been worn down, capitulated, charmed, seduced, or strong-armed robbed yet... And I am a loyal reader of every post!

My 4WD F150 truck cab's floor height is the same height as the DW's bluejean belt line. The floor is so high my 80~something 5'-2" US Army (Retired) Paratrooper Uncle claimed his 87th jump at a 2AM highway rest stop when he forgot he was at altitude, though he did say he never needed a Chiropractors Office since.

We considered true wide running boards once awhile back but we both thought we'd take them for granted and end up pretzled amongst one of them when we had slippery feet or iced up boots.

Anyhow - it was pure luck I bought this truck, no research done at all, just visited the Ford Dealer and walked the lot with an old guy salesman and on the way back summarized what I *thought* I wanted. "Why didn't you get your mouth open earlier!" was his response and there in the back of the showroom was a detailed and pristine F150 that I ended up getting 24% off sticker on plus was not shamed on my trade-in... Anyhow, since that is probably not repeatable this next purchase is looping through an endless research cycle! (Edit: until it does repeat itself?)

We are seriously considering the Mercedes Sprinter Van. No 4WD but then discretion is the better part of valor, something that comes with age... even in Minnesota. I dearly love the automatic hubs and low range and have been very lucky in 140,000 miles that the only drive-train service required was tire changes and one lube oil swap. What I dislike is the 9-11mpg towing, 14mpg average in city and 17mpg highway with ethanol gas. I also dislike not being able to pass through the cab into the bed without large carnivores chasing me. The snag to the Sprinter is needing the dual rear wheels to meet the 7500# tow rating.

Keep the Q&A happening, there's two readers watching every update!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote