Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I'd look into more options before committing to the expense of lowering the truck. However, I recognize those alternatives need to match your partner's particular needs and ease of use.

You didn't mention whether the truck you are considering has the assist handle above the door or on the A-pillar (or which year). There are aftermarket assist/grab handles made for either A or B pillar mounting if its equipped with an overhead. Luckily, my truck has the A pillar handle within reach.

In the end, maybe your best bet is a special product for independent living assistance like the HandyBar. This item worked wonders for my wife's 4'10" grandmother who loved to ride in my 4x4.

Avin | Home

video - HandyBar - YouTube
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
I'd look into more options before committing to the expense of lowering the truck. However, I recognize those alternatives need to match your partner's particular needs and ease of use.

You didn't mention whether the truck you are considering has the assist handle above the door or on the A-pillar (or which year). There are aftermarket assist/grab handles made for either A or B pillar mounting if its equipped with an overhead. Luckily, my truck has the A pillar handle within reach.

In the end, maybe your best bet is a special product for independent living assistance like the HandyBar. This item worked wonders for my wife's 4'10" grandmother who loved to ride in my 4x4.

Avin | Home

video - HandyBar - YouTube
That's a cool device.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The good news is I will save a bunch of money. The bad news is I will not have a knew F250 for my birthday. The Ford dealer called and said any modification to lower the truck would void the warranty.

Paula I did mention the strap however the Dealer said it was not a good idea as it is unstable.

Again thaks to everyone for the great advice and ideas
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
Lower your truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I want to purchase the F250 diesel however it is to difficult for my wife to get in and out of. I thought if I added different running boards that were lower to the ground that would solve the problem. It will not because the body of the vehicle is to high for Claire to reach the handle on the passenger side used to assist in entering and exiting.

The dealer recommended that I lower the truck about 2 to 3 inches by using a lowering kit. They said it would not adversely impact safety, towing, corning etc.

I have absolutely know experience in this area and do not want to purchase the vehicle if it will adversly impact towing the AS.

Thanks .

John
John, We have a lowered 1 ton GMC "Towanda" dually, The truck was dropped by the dealer as a race tow vehicle (a rail as we know it) and has performed flawlessly pulling our 85 Excella over 80k miles in the last several years. The better half is but a Wisp "O" Va 5" and she also had problems crawling in and out of my 3/4t 4x4 Ford. We shopped around till we found our pull rig and have never had problems or regrets. Pulls like a dream, great mph at 14/16 which is unheard of in a raised 454, and gives the lower reach that she needs and feels comfortable with. The aerodynamics of the drop in my mind has provided a better stable footprint, increases our fuel mileage and certainly turns heads everywhere we tow. More times than we can count we were the focal point of questions and ooh's and aww's when setting in for the night during this summer's trip to Northern Canada and Alaska. Over all we are very pleased and the lowered truck has given us a very comfortable ride and secure tow. Would we make this kind of purchase when it is time to let it go? Yes by all means!!
shivtik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
The good news is I will save a bunch of money. The bad news is I will not have a knew F250 for my birthday. The Ford dealer called and said any modification to lower the truck would void the warranty.
Bull. They'd have to prove the modification caused the failure. They just don't want to deal with you. (And since they feel that way, I doubt you want to deal with them, either, so that's fine.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
It can be done very safely and effectively. There are many variations that will depend upon the model/year of your truck. You'll want to focus your research and selection on the front axle. The rear solid axle is straight forward.

Lift/lower kits which relocate the front spindle and/or supply redesigned control arms are often stronger than OEM and will not cause alignment problems. Any 4x4 shop can do the work for you.

here is an example.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
You may want to try these. I have a pair on my dodge and the wife is about 4'11 and she has no problem getting in. Not overly difficult to install, takes about 3 hours.
AMP Research | Official home of PowerStep

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The saga is not over. I looked at the Ford F150 with eco booster and they do look great however when yuo price them out they are expensive. Almost as much as new diesel. Dealers are throwing in a lot more incentives for diesel then they are for their best selling truck. So now all I have to do is convince Claire this is the way to go. I am willing to throw in the new AMP running boards and a leather strap that will assist in entering and exiting. I remember the straps in my parents cars. I believe they were used up to the late sixties.

If nothing else looking for a new TV is fun
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
I think you can get the equivalent of the AMP steps as a factory option. I hope you found a different dealer to work with. The other one sounded a little lazy.
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Bull. They'd have to prove the modification caused the failure. They just don't want to deal with you. (And since they feel that way, I doubt you want to deal with them, either, so that's fine.)
I agree with Skater. Find a different dealer. My dealer's service shop puts on all sort of mods like these now. I asked them if they would put a 1 1/2" lift and bigger tires on my 2011 when the current tires wear out. "No problem".
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Looking for a new TV is ALL the fun of owning an Airstream! Lol. But im a car guy too...

As for the problem at hand: I think youll have more money sunk into lowering, side steps (if not already installed) and modified handles on a tall diesel than you would a much shorter EcoBoost F-150. Depending on options you want, a F-150 can be about half the price of a diesel! Of course itd be just an XLT, no leather, prolly ext cab short bed, could keep the 4wd, etc etc would run around $35,000 without any incentives. But once you get into the fancy F-150s like the King Ranch... the gap starts to close to the tune of about $45,000 and up. If I were in your shoes, I woulda done bought the F-150. Your really not pulling anything that NEEDS a diesel

If you travel North at any time of year other than summer, I think 4wd is a very good idea. Just my $.02

And a side note: If you buy any Ford before Labor Day, 0% financing for 60 mo, no payment for 90 days, and $6000 in rebates on 150s. Just something to think about
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
my f150 xlt came in under 40k with rebates and after tax. there was a small increase in april after i had placed my order and locked in the price.

a member here was nice enough to advise me that if i emailed ford for info i would likely send me a rebate coupon. i checked "looking to buy now" and they sent me a $750.00 rebate coupon that led me no choice but to buy it. :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Oops darn iPhone
A similar equipped 150 should cost conciderably less than a diesel 250
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #34
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I could go on and on about vehicles lol. Its kinda my thing lol

The most optioned F-150 you can get is the Harley Davidson edition starting at $49,000. A F-250 XLT, ext cab reg bed, 4wd, diesel costs $45,500. So I guess a F-150 CAN cost more than a diesel lol. Camper package, rear view camera, and side steps are an extra $870, jsut FYI
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Modern pickup trucks are way too tall either 2 or 4wd. It is this whole redneck big tall jacked up truck mentality that actually makes the truck much less useful as a truck. They are hard to get in and out of and hard to load stuff in the back when the tailgate is chest high. Most 4x4 versions have blocks that are easily removed to lower the suspension. I would think in most cases that the 4x2 parts are interchangable with the 4x4. I would think a good dealer could help you with this if they wanted to and still not violate the warrantee.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
When did 3/4 ton trucks start looking tall lol. My 1992 F-250 is prolly 4" than a F-150 or F-250 2wd. Of course this was when 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons had identical bodies and different frames lol.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #37
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
You CAN make it anything you want, it's just money. You could slam it and go with the alcoa's also!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Modern pickup trucks are way too tall either 2 or 4wd. It is this whole redneck big tall jacked up truck mentality that actually makes the truck much less useful as a truck. They are hard to get in and out of and hard to load stuff in the back when the tailgate is chest high. Most 4x4 versions have blocks that are easily removed to lower the suspension
I resemble that remark.

I put a 3" leveling kit on my F150 TV, allowing me to run wider, stiffer 33" load range D/E tires. That was accomplished with new steering knuckles with 3" spindle lift on the front. On the rear, extra leafs in the springs for 1" lift and improved load capacity. This was a great improvement in stability, steering, visibility, and ride when towing.

As a side benefit, it allows me to slide in and out of the cab with ease (I'm a long legged redneck )
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #39
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
^^^ Amen brutha! Been there, done that lol. I had a 2002 F-150 that I had to climb in and jump out of lol. We actually got my grandma and grandpa in and out of it a few times lol. Had to give grandma a shove though lol