Old 08-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
There is a sub culture around here that does that to all sorts of trucks. They also put little small diameter wheels on them so that they look like hot wheels. I don't think I'd tow with one. Thinking of my Dodge 3/4 ton , I think most of what makes it high is the suspension, I don't think I would want to mess with that and then tow.

I do have step bars on the sides of the cab, they help a lot.

Nerf Bars & Step Bars | Free Shipping

Ken
Lots of my friends in High School had low rider trucks, Some very nice. I had a 1972 AMC Javelin with a 410 cid.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
First let me say thank youfor the responses. I get significantly better advice from forum members then sales people. I believe this is because you all have lived it and they have not.

I do know there are other vehicles out there and I may have to look at them but not yet.
I could get by without a 4x4 but a couple of times they have been a life safer especially when we get an unexpected snowstorm. I also like to go on the sand at Assateaque and could not do this with a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

I also agree that most 1/2 tons whether or not they are 2 or 4 wheel drive are very high. The difference in the Ford is approximately 2 inches. Would it be enough I don't know. What I do know is: if my wife is not happy I will not be happy, but then again I do all the cooking and baking .

I suspect I might end up looking at another vehicle that is smaller but not until I exhaust all options.

Again thanks for all of the great advice

Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
urnmor - despite all the verbiage for and against 4x4s, the easiest cure to your issue is an adjustable step. Big boy trucks in the south, you know the super lifted versions, have a slick solution for a mere $100 bucks or so. I'm way over 6' but my wife is just over 5' - try a cure like this:

ADJUSTABLE truck STEP
Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
we did look at adjustable steps and running boards however the challenge is that Claire likes to use the assist handle on the inside. Unless there is a way to lower that no step will work. she holds on to that handle even to help herself up to the running board but again thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
we did look at adjustable steps and running boards however the challenge is that Claire likes to use the assist handle on the inside. Unless there is a way to lower that no step will work. she holds on to that handle even to help herself up to the running board but again thanks for the suggestion.
Remember the subway - the straps hanging from the ceiling for standup passengers? OK? Now hang one of those on the end of the assist handle - instant extension.

Paula
Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
could you loop a small, wide leather belt through the existing assist handle to get up on the side step?

andy from can am rv suggests using wide profile tires to reduce sway. i have no idea if there are tires that would work on the 250 but it would be worth looking. you might also have to recalculate what gear ratio you would want.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I'd look into more options before committing to the expense of lowering the truck. However, I recognize those alternatives need to match your partner's particular needs and ease of use.

You didn't mention whether the truck you are considering has the assist handle above the door or on the A-pillar (or which year). There are aftermarket assist/grab handles made for either A or B pillar mounting if its equipped with an overhead. Luckily, my truck has the A pillar handle within reach.

In the end, maybe your best bet is a special product for independent living assistance like the HandyBar. This item worked wonders for my wife's 4'10" grandmother who loved to ride in my 4x4.

Avin | Home

video - HandyBar - YouTube
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
I'd look into more options before committing to the expense of lowering the truck. However, I recognize those alternatives need to match your partner's particular needs and ease of use.

You didn't mention whether the truck you are considering has the assist handle above the door or on the A-pillar (or which year). There are aftermarket assist/grab handles made for either A or B pillar mounting if its equipped with an overhead. Luckily, my truck has the A pillar handle within reach.

In the end, maybe your best bet is a special product for independent living assistance like the HandyBar. This item worked wonders for my wife's 4'10" grandmother who loved to ride in my 4x4.

Avin | Home

video - HandyBar - YouTube
That's a cool device.

Ken
Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The good news is I will save a bunch of money. The bad news is I will not have a knew F250 for my birthday. The Ford dealer called and said any modification to lower the truck would void the warranty.

Paula I did mention the strap however the Dealer said it was not a good idea as it is unstable.

Again thaks to everyone for the great advice and ideas
Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
Lower your truck

Quote:
I want to purchase the F250 diesel however it is to difficult for my wife to get in and out of. I thought if I added different running boards that were lower to the ground that would solve the problem. It will not because the body of the vehicle is to high for Claire to reach the handle on the passenger side used to assist in entering and exiting.

The dealer recommended that I lower the truck about 2 to 3 inches by using a lowering kit. They said it would not adversely impact safety, towing, corning etc.

I have absolutely know experience in this area and do not want to purchase the vehicle if it will adversly impact towing the AS.

Thanks .

John
John, We have a lowered 1 ton GMC "Towanda" dually, The truck was dropped by the dealer as a race tow vehicle (a rail as we know it) and has performed flawlessly pulling our 85 Excella over 80k miles in the last several years. The better half is but a Wisp "O" Va 5" and she also had problems crawling in and out of my 3/4t 4x4 Ford. We shopped around till we found our pull rig and have never had problems or regrets. Pulls like a dream, great mph at 14/16 which is unheard of in a raised 454, and gives the lower reach that she needs and feels comfortable with. The aerodynamics of the drop in my mind has provided a better stable footprint, increases our fuel mileage and certainly turns heads everywhere we tow. More times than we can count we were the focal point of questions and ooh's and aww's when setting in for the night during this summer's trip to Northern Canada and Alaska. Over all we are very pleased and the lowered truck has given us a very comfortable ride and secure tow. Would we make this kind of purchase when it is time to let it go? Yes by all means!!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
The good news is I will save a bunch of money. The bad news is I will not have a knew F250 for my birthday. The Ford dealer called and said any modification to lower the truck would void the warranty.
Bull. They'd have to prove the modification caused the failure. They just don't want to deal with you. (And since they feel that way, I doubt you want to deal with them, either, so that's fine.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
It can be done very safely and effectively. There are many variations that will depend upon the model/year of your truck. You'll want to focus your research and selection on the front axle. The rear solid axle is straight forward.

Lift/lower kits which relocate the front spindle and/or supply redesigned control arms are often stronger than OEM and will not cause alignment problems. Any 4x4 shop can do the work for you.

here is an example.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
You may want to try these. I have a pair on my dodge and the wife is about 4'11 and she has no problem getting in. Not overly difficult to install, takes about 3 hours.
AMP Research | Official home of PowerStep

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The saga is not over. I looked at the Ford F150 with eco booster and they do look great however when yuo price them out they are expensive. Almost as much as new diesel. Dealers are throwing in a lot more incentives for diesel then they are for their best selling truck. So now all I have to do is convince Claire this is the way to go. I am willing to throw in the new AMP running boards and a leather strap that will assist in entering and exiting. I remember the straps in my parents cars. I believe they were used up to the late sixties.

If nothing else looking for a new TV is fun