Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
According to all my reading on this forum, you can't tow with anything less than a International Frieghtliner. Anything less is suicide.

<<heavy sarcasm>>
Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
According to all my reading on this forum, you can't tow with anything less than a International Frieghtliner. Anything less is suicide.
<<heavy sarcasm>>
That's a no-brainer, otherwise there are lots of choices.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by schkube View Post
As a different viewpoint on the 3.55 topic, we towed our 23FB with an '11 F150 Ecoboost (3.55 rear) about 7,500 miles this summer. We experienced hills through SD, WY, MT; as well as I-64, I-81 and I-40 through WV, VA and TN. Never once did we have trouble maintaining speed either up or down the hills.

Our feeling, given our towing combo, is that we were very comfortable with our speed and stability the whole way.
Yep, its all about what you feel is safe and comfortable with. I didn't say 3.55 wouldn't pull it.
Have a good one !
Old 09-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
IF you travel heavy, then as Airrogent said, a 3/4 ton would be a better option.

The good thing about a 3/4 ton Suburban is that it can tow pretty much any Airstream. So if you decide to move to a bigger trailer you do not need to change your TV.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
IF you travel heavy, then as Airrogent said, a 3/4 ton would be a better option.

The good thing about a 3/4 ton Suburban is that it can tow pretty much any Airstream. So if you decide to move to a bigger trailer you do not need to change your TV.
The only thing about a 3/4 ton hooked to a 16' Airstream it may beat the heck out of it, as Airrogent may decide after reattaching his fallen upper cabinet.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Payload is nice, but seriously our E150 van had a 6600 capacity, so even with 2500# of trailer behind it, that's still room for a few thousand pounds of gear. The tongue weight is about 250lb, which is no worse than carrying my uncle (even if he sits on the bumper it's not going to effect the truck much). I seriously cannot see any reason to go bigger than a half ton for a Caravel, and in fact we went down to the Flex, which is a v6. That significantly improved our gas milage over the old 5.7L We do travel light however. I guess if you really like to pack on lots of heavy gear you might eventually exceed capacity, but I know I'm not worried about that.

If you have some other reason for wanting a big truck, then it will do the job, or if you're expecting to upgrade to something bigger, then that's a reason. But if you're looking to use the Caravel as an excuse for going 3/4, I can't see any justification there.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post

A 3/4 ton truck, properly equipped, does not pull an Airstream, any better than a properly equipped 1/2 ton truck.

Sure it can carry more weight, but that has nothing to do with towing an Airstream.

History shows that the heavier the tow vehicle, the rougher the ride for the trailer and the truck passengers, and more long term damage to the trailer.

Bigger sometimes, is worse than smaller.

Brute force, is not a good tow vehicle for an Airstream trailer, plus being a waste of money.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Well I guess I have to much. Please do not use International in the same line as Freightliner. I have a 3.85 rear end and get 10 mpg with my truck. Get an Airsafe hitch and that will stop the beating up of the TT. Right now my truck alone only weighs in at 15000 lbs.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A 3/4 ton truck, properly equipped, does not pull an Airstream, any better than a properly equipped 1/2 ton truck.

Sure it can carry more weight, but that has nothing to do with towing an Airstream.

History shows that the heavier the tow vehicle, the rougher the ride for the trailer and the truck passengers, and more long term damage to the trailer.

Brute force, is not a good tow vehicle for an Airstream trailer, plus being a waste of money.

Andy
For sure..... and don't forget the added costs involved with maintaining and operating a 3/4 ton vehicle.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What are the additional costs for a three quarter ton vehicle if it is gas over , say, 40000 miles? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
What are the additional costs for a three quarter ton vehicle if it is gas over , say, 40000 miles? Jim
I think they have grease zerks.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
1984 31' Sovereign
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
for what it's worth.....

1978 Airstream Sovereign 31', tow vehicle 1999 C2500 2WD 3/4 ton Suburban with the big block..... I treat generously with maintenance and upkeep. 162,000 plus miles and going strong. 10 mpg pulling the trailer. 14 w/o
Jim, that's my same rig. 1999 C2500 2WD I bought new. Now w/ 102,000 miles. I love the 44 gal tank & HD trany. Of course our 31's are heavier. I'll drive that suburban as long as it will let me.
dcopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
1984 31' Sovereign
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:

Andy
When I purchased my 1984 31’ Sovereign back in 1998, I had a C1500 suburban w/ tow package. It did great on flat land but my first trip to the Big Bend area quickly revealed its short comings. The main issue was the weak transmission. I burned the fluid on the first trip out there. I decided to move up to the C2500 suburban and oh what a difference. I have no problems in the mountains and can use overdrive on gentle grades. The ride in the C2500 is stiff until you hookup your trailer then it’s just smooth as can be. I think the match up of a 3/4 ton suburban and the longer 25’ – 31’ Airstreams are made for each other (Sorry Andy).

Now as for Kevin’s 1965 Caravel, there won’t be enough weight on the back of the 3/4 ton Suburban to smooth out the ride thus making it hard on the driver and the Caravel.

Dan
dcopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I Choose A Van As My Tow Rig!

I towed my Caravel with a Chevy 3500 van for a few years. The ride was rough and the MPG at best 12-14 towing. I have now towed with my 09 Grand Caravan for over 2 years. The Dodge is a much better ride. I'm getting 14-17.5 MPG. I think vans make great tow rigs you able to keep your gear dry and safe. Plus much my room for passengers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	221368Click image for larger version

Name:	The Fact.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	221369

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
Disclaimer: I just bought a 2013 Suburban 2500 4x4, to tow my trailer, and I just had my front overhead cabinet fall down. I can't ignore the possibility that it might be related to my new towing setup, although I've received plenty of feedback suggesting that the two are coincidental.

OMG - The engine and exhaust sounds are just so sweet. I don't even bother turning on the radio with this truck.
You are beating the trailer to death.

That type damage is typical of excessive rated tow vehicles, excessive rated hitch bars, lack of proper running gear balance, or bad rubber rods in the axle/axles.

Any one of the above, or more, is what you now have.

Your tow vehicle is really over kill even for a 34 foot Airstream.

Sorry.

Andy
Old 09-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The thing is you can tow with whatever you want in a BIG truck. I drove truck for years if you load your truck properly and with enough weight the ride is GREAT. So if it is a 150 or a 450 or my truck put the right amount of weight in the truck and the TT should be OK. I can say for sure with a big truck you NEED a airhitch. Everyone I talk to says it makes a HUGE difference.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #37
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
The thing is you can tow with whatever you want in a BIG truck. I drove truck for years if you load your truck properly and with enough weight the ride is GREAT. So if it is a 150 or a 450 or my truck put the right amount of weight in the truck and the TT should be OK. I can say for sure with a big truck you NEED a airhitch. Everyone I talk to says it makes a HUGE difference.
You can tow a lot with a big truck but a 60s Caravel will be pounded pretty hard. A large truck is overkill, imo and with time, you might expect to see sheared rivets, and other damage.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
You are beating the trailer to death.

That type damage is typical of excessive rated tow vehicles, excessive rated hitch bars, lack of proper running gear balance, or bad rubber rods in the axle/axles.

Any one of the above, or more, is what you now have.

Your tow vehicle is really over kill even for a 34 foot Airstream.

Sorry.

Andy
Thanks Andy for your frank and honest assessment of the situation.

I'm starting to get the impression that AS trailers aren't very special when it comes to their mechanical and electrical design. An AS TT is just another SOB with a pretty, curvy face. One look at how the cabinets were fastened tells quite a story.

Thought for the day: Perhaps the TV isn't overkill. Perhaps the AS is underkill.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy for your frank and honest assessment of the situation.

I'm starting to get the impression that AS trailers aren't very special when it comes to their mechanical and electrical design. An AS TT is just another SOB with a pretty, curvy face. One look at how the cabinets were fastened tells quite a story.

Thought for the day: Perhaps the TV isn't overkill. Perhaps the AS is underkill.
Not really.

Streamline, Silver Streak and Avion, all did the same thing.

You don't beat an airplane to death, because on it's "monocoque type" construction.

Airstream and the other 3 brands, which unfortunately those three are history
all used the monocoque type construction.

Many things are designed within certain parameters. When those parameters are violated, then things can and do happen.

Airstreams indeed are tough and top notch.

But they are not impervious to damages when they are used by someones opinion, instead of facts.

Human nature is to use something many times to the extreme, and when doing so, sometimes that back fires.

Then the negative opinions come to the surface.

Sorry.

Andy
Old 09-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #40

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
An AS TT is just another SOB with a pretty, curvy face. One look at how the cabinets were fastened tells quite a story.

I'll remember that next time I am camping next to a park full of 1968 white boxes.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel