Old 12-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My 97 PSD was one of the trucks on the cam sensor recall list, so I thought I would get that taken care of before my trip which is supposed to start tomorrow. I figure as long as I am there, why not get the oil and fuel filter done. All good so far.

Then I get the call. By the way, you have a fuel leak- you need a new pump and line $728. I had asked them to look at the occasional problem getting the truck smoothly into reverse: probably looking at another $1,300 best guess. Pretty painful for a small guy like me this time of year.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
My sympathies.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying anything, but this sequence reminds me of stopping in Lordsburg,NM, back in the late '60's for gasoline.
I always walked my rig when refueling, and surprised an attendant checking my oil. "Did you know you're a quart low?" "No, but I'll take care of it." "Let me check the air in your tires, they look low to me." "No, I just checked them a few minutes ago." "Did you know your air filter is probably plugged up?"

The light dawns. "Look, friend, all I want is some gasoline. Please go away."
I watched this guy sell another motorist oil, air filter, new fanbelt, and before I left, he had the guy talked into putting his car onto the rack, because it looked like the shock absorbers were leaking...
Nothing against Lordsburg, but as Boss Tweed said; "let us Prey..."
Let's hope those dudes haven't moved to Lawton.
regards

Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
How much of this can you DIY? Probably save a bundle on labor.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
How much of this can you DIY? Probably save a bundle on labor.
Between finals and the weather and my relative lack of tools, not a bit of it.

and the
My Blog

Old 12-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
i feel your pain, with 2 kids in college I provide the vehicles and it seems always the repair shop finds new issues when in for whatever. They are creative indeed.

This is one of the reasons I decided to lease and get new every 2. In the end it is simple and I never own the damn thing. I know most will not agree, and I do have a business nationally, but still repair bills for guys like us who are not handy are just terrible. I take good care of the truck visually, so the 20k lease/year is reasonable. Oil changes and brakes and tires and that is it. If it breaks they even pay to have the AS towed in!! I run the hell out of it and turn it in say good bye. It is one of the reasons I went with gas and the 150 rated at 10k lb tow rating. Simple. Anyway, get it fixed and life goes on. I say food ,vehicles and liquor are the things you use/rent in some form or another. Your ROI is well horrible.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
GenDis

I feel your pain. We just had our truck in for a fuel pump and with other sundry stuff they found while under it we killed $1,100 real quickly.

What I have found though is that when I take my truck to the dealer it always comes back working properly, clean, and I know they care about their reputation. I could do all the work myself as I have my own hobby shop out back with hoist and pretty much every tool you would need, but they did the repair in half a day's time and know exactly what has to be done and what to leave alone. It's okay to play with my hobby cars but not my "must be totally dependable" daily drivers.

Take heart, you are not alone, yes it's a crappy time of year to have this happen, but better to find out now than on the road somewhere.

Hopefully a bit of karma your way will help ease the pain (sorry that doesn't relate to money in your pocket ).

Merry Christmas

Barry
Old 12-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
More Karma

Can't have too much. I gotta agree with "take it to the dealer", especially locally. They WILL want you and your friends and neighbors to to buy again.

Hope it comes out less expensive than you fear or at least that the Karma translates into something solid like a winning lottery ticket for $10K.

Paula
Old 12-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Thanks everyone. Its just one of those things. Sadly, my eagle viewing/photography trip just died as a result. But I think I can still pull off Padre Island on the way back from Tn.

and the
My Blog

Old 12-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Gen,
Sorry to here about the extra expense

My 98 E350 is at Ford as we speak, AC died.

BUT what makes this forum so great is that after reading about the sensor recall (which I was unaware of) I called the dealer and am having mine sensor replaced.

Thanks Gen!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'd look at the line myself..... do you REALLY have a fuel leak? Is it pre/post pump. If it's post pump, I'd expect to see some spray or smell it being sprayed everywhere... it is a high pressure pump, no? Pre-pump, is it just that it looks "wet" there? It could be just oil from something else.

I dunno - I smell something fishy. Was it running bad to begin with? Did you smell excessive diesel? Why the pump part - I fail to see why that's connected to a fuel leak of the line? Is it connected to the line, or something they just "want" to do for a leaking fuel line?

I personally don't trust dealers.
Marc
Old 12-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstream
Gen,
Sorry to here about the extra expense

My 98 E350 is at Ford as we speak, AC died.

BUT what makes this forum so great is that after reading about the sensor recall (which I was unaware of) I called the dealer and am having mine sensor replaced.

Thanks Gen!

Michael
Glad to hear that folks are taking the opertunity to have Ford act on the recall for the cam sensor. When I posted I got jumped on that it was a commonly known issue - seems others were like me - just get it replaced and pay up - now I have some money coming back from Ford - That's a change.....
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
..... do you REALLY have a fuel leak? ....... Did you smell excessive diesel?
Marc
I believe them, there has been a slight diesel smell, but being new to diesels I assumed it to be normal. The dealer seems to be trying to be upfront as possible. I guess that could be a wrong assessment, but who knows. If I wasnt about to set off on a lengthy road trip I wouldnt be as tweaked about the whole episode. I guess this more of a venting woe is me thread to be honest . Better to get it fixed now. But the sensor replacement and oil change sure got expensive.

and the
My Blog

Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I believe them, there has been a slight diesel smell, but being new to diesels I assumed it to be normal. The dealer seems to be trying to be upfront as possible. I guess that could be a wrong assessment, but who knows. If I wasnt about to set off on a lengthy road trip I wouldnt be as tweaked about the whole episode. I guess this more of a venting woe is me thread to be honest . Better to get it fixed now. But the sensor replacement and oil change sure got expensive.
Ask them to show you where it is leaking. Sometimes a "leak" can be nothing more than a spot with more dirt on it than the surrounding area. Is it a leak? Yes. Is it a leak that requires immediate attention? Maybe, or maybe they are finding something so minor it will be months or even years before it becomes an issue.
If you have fuel spewing out, it needs fixing, now.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Check the injectors yourself

I had something similar on a Ford PSD. It was the "O" rings at the injectors, certainly NOT the pump. My experience is that when the pump starts to go bad you really know it. As far as the transmission problem....I have lost two on separate trucks. I went to Allison because of the last one. In both cases...good luck. You will like SPI.