Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Congrats!! Nice truck.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
Congrats! Nice looking rig. I went with Silver as well to match the AS. I just hit 1K miles and am very pleased with the truck. Having a Blue Ox installed Friday. Safe travels!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	282278  
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charlestown , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF0st3r View Post
Got my 2017 F-150 Supercab with the max tow package yesterday. This truck may be smarter than me! I had reported the payload spec for this truck to be 2103 lbs. As expected, door sticker shows less but still 1811 lbs and that's fine.
The dealer is getting a couple of TPMS stems for the trailer but should I expect the system to monitor these?
I'm swapping out the Gooodyear Wranglers for Michelin LTX A/T2's because these tires have held up so well on our steep crushed gravel roads. The tires will also benefit from driving in 4x4 automatic on our road.
Thanks for all of your advice as I prepare for this adventure!
Jim

Hi Jim. That's great payload - especially without the HDPP. What options did you get?
Outdoorpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Basics include 3.5L Ecoboost with 10 speed trany, 4x4, 3.55 locking rear axle. Max Tow package with 36 gallon tank + telescoping folding mirrors. Because I wanted Lane Keeping & BLISS, had to get Group 502A stuff and added Sport features. Spray in bed liner. I'm adding WeatherTech floor covers & mud flaps and have ordered a tonneau cover with rack for hauling our little boat.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #125

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Basics include 3.5L Ecoboost with 10 speed trany, 4x4, 3.55 locking rear axle. Max Tow package with 36 gallon tank + telescoping folding mirrors. Because I wanted Lane Keeping & BLISS, had to get Group 502A stuff and added Sport features. Spray in bed liner. I'm adding WeatherTech floor covers & mud flaps and have ordered a tonneau cover with rack for hauling our little boat.
Jim
If you haven't already ordered the WeatherTech liners, consider also the Husky X-Act Contour liners. I think they're a bit more flexible so they fit nicer, and they have the option of a full-floor cover for the back of a Supercrew that covers all the way back to the storage box under the seat.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #126
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Jim

So you were able to get 1811 payload AND the full 502A & Sport packages? I had assumed that adding 502A and Sport would bring payload below 1811. That sounds like a GREAT truck.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
Picked up my new F150 today. Ordered on 2/1. Built on 3/1. Delivered to dealer 3/10. Supercrew Lariat, 4x2, 3.5EB, HD payload, 6.5' bed. Attachment 281252Attachment 281253

Hi Landrum. I noticed that the center console is not available with the HDPP. Is there an armrest and cup holder available on the drivers side? I am worried about driving long distances without the benefit of a center console, armrest and cup holder for my ever present Dunkin' so I'd be interested to hear how you deal without these items?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #128
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorpeak View Post
So you were able to get 1811 payload AND the full 502A & Sport packages? I had assumed that adding 502A and Sport would bring payload below 1811. That sounds like a GREAT truck.
My old Dodge Dakota had a payload of 1387, probably less than we were actually hauling. When I went to place the order the sales manager showed me a F150 towing brochure listing payload as 3220 lbs! I had him copy that page and gave it back to him as I showed him the sticker listing payload as 1811 lbs. I was not angry with him because 1811 lbs is ample for my needs but wanted to alert him to the error so others are not promised more than they would receive.
The F150 spec book I found online showed a payload capacity of 2130 for this truck but I understand that payload on the door sticker deducts driver weight. I hope they deducted more than my weight since the math indicates 319 lbs!
Jim
Old 04-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Hi Landrum. I noticed that the center console is not available with the HDPP. Is there an armrest and cup holder available on the drivers side? I am worried about driving long distances without the benefit of a center console, armrest and cup holder for my ever present Dunkin' so I'd be interested to hear how you deal without these items?

If you get the XLT you can have the center console. It's really strange you can't get it on the Lariat. Of course with the XLT you loose automatic temp control, 8" productivity screen, and power fold mirrors all of which I really wanted. Attached are some photos of the armrest console.

Name:	IMG_6132.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	282565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6138.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	282566Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6139.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	282567
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
It's hard to see but there is storage under the seat along with 2 additional cup holders on the floor. Those cup holders flip out so they can be moved if someone uses the center seat.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #131
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
My old Dodge Dakota had a payload of 1387, probably less than we were actually hauling. When I went to place the order the sales manager showed me a F150 towing brochure listing payload as 3220 lbs! I had him copy that page and gave it back to him as I showed him the sticker listing payload as 1811 lbs. I was not angry with him because 1811 lbs is ample for my needs but wanted to alert him to the error so others are not promised more than they would receive.
The F150 spec book I found online showed a payload capacity of 2130 for this truck but I understand that payload on the door sticker deducts driver weight. I hope they deducted more than my weight since the math indicates 319 lbs!
Jim

Did you also get the Technology Package with Active Park Assist? I think your vehicle is configured perfectly and I'm confident I can live with 1811 - especially with a WD hitch.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:07 AM   #132
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Quote:
Did you also get the Technology Package with Active Park Assist? I think your vehicle is configured perfectly and I'm confident I can live with 1811 - especially with a WD hitch.
Of course I have the Pro Trailer Back up Assist and with 360˚ camera coverage it's easy now to back into a parking space without trailer or back up for hitching. There is a warning sound if the rear camera sees an obstacle such as a curb or ditch. Trailer has not been hooked up yet. I did not get the parallel parking assist since it would be rare that it would be used. This is NOT big city.

I do have the blind spot warning and this year it also covers the trailer. Of course cross traffic alerts are part of this. At my age and with all the meds I must take, I needed the Lane Keeping System and have it set on both alert and aid. This was one of the primary reasons I decided it was time to bet a new rig.

It would have been smart if I had ordered the box side steps with the original. These have cost me twice as much to have them added by the dealer as accessories. I've found these essential.
Jim
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Hi all, I'm the original poster with the 2017 F-150 back for an update. Today I loaded up the bed of the truck as if going camping with a bunch of heavy stuff like two big reclining camp chairs, an Yamaha 2000 generator and gas can, folding ladder, ice chest (filled with water to emulate being full), golf clubs, a big box of the Costco firelogs, and a variety of various heavy tools (like a big heavy vise and etc) for weight and headed out to the CAT Scale. Dog in rear of crew cab and me and wife in front.

I recently upgraded the two Group 24 batteries in the trailer (box on tongue) to Trojan T-105's which are substantially heavier and wanted to see how my old Equalizer hitch would still work with the new truck. We hitched our 27FB International which is full of dry and canned food and lots of other stuff and went for a drive. The only thing not in the camper was clothing, bikes on the rack in back, and refrigerated stuff.

The drive to the scale was pretty far, about 65 miles one way, most all on a freeway. Unfortunately it took us through the heart of Sacramento with all that unavoidable urban freeway traffic, yuck. The truck towed the trailer so well I didn't even know it was there. Kidding!!! Of course I knew it was there, every time I looked out the rear view mirror all I saw was a huge trailer! Really, who can honestly say they don't know they're towing a trailer.

That said, the trailer tracked just fine. The Goodyear Wrangler passenger all season tires are probably a weak link. In time I'll replace then with stiffer LT tires. Still this is just nit picking.

Just after I first purchased the truck I took it to a CAT Scale and weighted it stock and empty (no drivers or passengers). In both cases, the gas tank was about 3/4 full. This gave me baseline axle weights to compare against future loaded weights. On the scales it turned out I had added an additional 160 lbs to the front axle for a total of 3,260 lbs and an additional 1,220 lbs on the rear axle for a total of 3,460 lbs. Through the magic of math this computes to a payload of nearly 1,400 lbs. The yellow sticker says the payload capacity is 1,660 lbs so I'm well within that constraint. Better yet, the rear axle load capacity is 3,800 lbs, so my measured 3,460 lbs is way below that. Looks like I can easily carry my favorite 300 lb anvil to the next camp-out!

Kidding aside, the round trip was about 130 miles. The trucks trip computer for this trip said we got 12.9 mpg average for the tow. Most of the drive was on freeways going between 55 and 65 mph. The 10-speed transmission remains a champ. In tow haul mode, which I used for the whole trip, it mostly kept it in 8'th gear on the freeway. There were a few steep downhills, the kind where there's a special truck climbing lane going uphill, and it kept the entire rig at 60 mph going downhill by automatically downshifting in a way that anticipated the grade. Uphill I never floored the gas. I probably could have accelerated from 65 to 75 pulling that trailer in the truck climbing lane uphill if I tried.

What I learned: (1) 1,400 lbs of payload weight with a 27FB and associated gear is quickly reached and should be allowed for, even after factoring weight distribution effects of hitches; (2) the standard and very popular F-150 Crew Cab 5.5' bed can quite easily become a qualified & capable tow vehicle for larger Airstream's; (3) the optional power extending tow mirrors are awesome; (4) I can still put another 300 lbs of junk in the bed of my truck and still be just fine!

I've put about 3,500 miles on the truck since purchase. The non-towing MPG is still hanging at about 19.3 MPG for that duration. I know this because I didn't reset Trip #2 since I got it. Towing was just 12.9 mpg on mostly freeway. It will probably fall some from there a little as we tow more on more varied terrain. As can be imagined, I'm very happy this this truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trucka00001.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	284168  
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Great review! It seems like a very awesome and capable TV. Someone was telling me I would need to go to a F250 to carry all my stuff and family. I have four kids, so that adds about 400 pounds. With a 23D I would be fine with your awesome truck......

How are you liking all the "bling" and electronics on the truck. Anything that you added that you don't use or need?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #135
Rivet Master

I really like the electronics. All help with crash safety driveability. Auto high beam, adaptive cruise, big display screen for backup. All good. I can put the ball directly under the hitch just using the backup screen.

Since purchase I added a backflip tonneau cover. Also added some mudflaps. Otherwise stock.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Good for you.
If I was to nit pick, I'd say leave the firewood at home and buy it near your destination. Otherwise, it seems you crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #137
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plano , Texas
Hi kscherzi -

Lots of good info. How many A/C units are included in your weight total on your 27 FC?

Thanks,

Mark
txnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #138
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Hi all, I'm the original poster with the 2017 F-150 back for an update. Today I loaded up the bed of the truck as if going camping with a bunch of heavy stuff like two big reclining camp chairs, an Yamaha 2000 generator and gas can, folding ladder, ice chest (filled with water to emulate being full), golf clubs, a big box of the Costco firelogs, and a variety of various heavy tools (like a big heavy vise and etc) for weight and headed out to the CAT Scale. Dog in rear of crew cab and me and wife in front.

I recently upgraded the two Group 24 batteries in the trailer (box on tongue) to Trojan T-105's which are substantially heavier and wanted to see how my old Equalizer hitch would still work with the new truck. We hitched our 27FB International which is full of dry and canned food and lots of other stuff and went for a drive. The only thing not in the camper was clothing, bikes on the rack in back, and refrigerated stuff.

The drive to the scale was pretty far, about 65 miles one way, most all on a freeway. Unfortunately it took us through the heart of Sacramento with all that unavoidable urban freeway traffic, yuck. The truck towed the trailer so well I didn't even know it was there. Kidding!!! Of course I knew it was there, every time I looked out the rear view mirror all I saw was a huge trailer! Really, who can honestly say they don't know they're towing a trailer.

That said, the trailer tracked just fine. The Goodyear Wrangler passenger all season tires are probably a weak link. In time I'll replace then with stiffer LT tires. Still this is just nit picking.

Just after I first purchased the truck I took it to a CAT Scale and weighted it stock and empty (no drivers or passengers). In both cases, the gas tank was about 3/4 full. This gave me baseline axle weights to compare against future loaded weights. On the scales it turned out I had added an additional 160 lbs to the front axle for a total of 3,260 lbs and an additional 1,220 lbs on the rear axle for a total of 3,460 lbs. Through the magic of math this computes to a payload of nearly 1,400 lbs. The yellow sticker says the payload capacity is 1,660 lbs so I'm well within that constraint. Better yet, the rear axle load capacity is 3,800 lbs, so my measured 3,460 lbs is way below that. Looks like I can easily carry my favorite 300 lb anvil to the next camp-out!

Kidding aside, the round trip was about 130 miles. The trucks trip computer for this trip said we got 12.9 mpg average for the tow. Most of the drive was on freeways going between 55 and 65 mph. The 10-speed transmission remains a champ. In tow haul mode, which I used for the whole trip, it mostly kept it in 8'th gear on the freeway. There were a few steep downhills, the kind where there's a special truck climbing lane going uphill, and it kept the entire rig at 60 mph going downhill by automatically downshifting in a way that anticipated the grade. Uphill I never floored the gas. I probably could have accelerated from 65 to 75 pulling that trailer in the truck climbing lane uphill if I tried.

What I learned: (1) 1,400 lbs of payload weight with a 27FB and associated gear is quickly reached and should be allowed for, even after factoring weight distribution effects of hitches; (2) the standard and very popular F-150 Crew Cab 5.5' bed can quite easily become a qualified & capable tow vehicle for larger Airstream's; (3) the optional power extending tow mirrors are awesome; (4) I can still put another 300 lbs of junk in the bed of my truck and still be just fine!

I've put about 3,500 miles on the truck since purchase. The non-towing MPG is still hanging at about 19.3 MPG for that duration. I know this because I didn't reset Trip #2 since I got it. Towing was just 12.9 mpg on mostly freeway. It will probably fall some from there a little as we tow more on more varied terrain. As can be imagined, I'm very happy this this truck.

So awesome to hear about your experiences with the F150, as I'll be buying one for my AS TV. Remind me again what your options packages are? Do you have 502A? What other options do you have? The more specific you can be, the better. I believe someone else on this forum has an F150 Lariat with 502A and tech package and came to 1800 payload. I'm wondering what options your truck has so I can be sure not to come in below your 1660 payload.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #139
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnole View Post
Hi kscherzi -

Lots of good info. How many A/C units are included in your weight total on your 27 FC?

Thanks,

Mark
Single A/C.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 AM   #140
Rivet Master

Quote:
So awesome to hear about your experiences with the F150, as I'll be buying one for my AS TV. Remind me again what your options packages are? Do you have 502A? What other options do you have? The more specific you can be, the better. I believe someone else on this forum has an F150 Lariat with 502A and tech package and came to 1800 payload. I'm wondering what options your truck has so I can be sure not to come in below your 1660 payload.
Here's the list, the exact sticker is included below. Post #1 in this thread talks more about the truck.
  • Lariate SuperCrew 4x4 5.5' bed.
  • Second generation EcoBoost (375 hp, 470 torque) with the 10-speed transmission.
  • 502A Equipment group (top-end Lariate, leather, heated/cooled seats, navigation, chrome package, all the tech.)
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Max Trailer Tow Package (various mechanical upgrades, 36 gallon gas tank, 3.55 rear end with e-locker)
  • Power extending/folding trailer mirrors
  • Tailgate Step
  • Technology Package (lane assist, parallel parking, trailer backup)
  • Spray in bed liner
  • Rubber floor mats