Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Going with 19.5" Truck Wheels & Tires???

I used to have a slide-in camper that I used with my 2001 Dodge 2500HD Cummins. After having two LT truck tires blow on me (which is a lot of fun at highway speed with a camper on your back), I started reading in some of the truck camper forums about tires. Almost universally, they claimed that LT tires were inadequate for camper use, especially on SRW pickups. Their recommendation was going with a true truck tire on 19.5 rims, and most made reference to a company called Rickson Wheel Manufacturing (Rickson Wheel Manufacturing) which made custom steel 19.5 rims to fit regular p/u trucks. You could also get truck tires through them, and they would do match mounting and balancing. I did quite a bit of research, and all references were positive. I ended up selling the camper ($$$ - daughter's wedding) and thought no more about it. Now that I have a new AS 27FB Classic, I'm revisiting the issue as an upgrade for my TV. Any info or thoughts out there?
Adiredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 AM   #22
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
.......We might be getting in to territory where Tireman or CapriRacer might want to chime in, but according to the inflation chart in the pic below, I could probably go with 60psi front and rear when towing (steer is 4440, drive is 4500 on the scales fully loaded for camping w/trailer and WD applied) with a lot of spare capacity. CAUTION: I'm not an expert - I could really have this wrong :-)

[Attachment deleted]
One of the lessons from the Ford/Firestone situation a few years ago was that tire size/inflation pressure specifications should result in a tire with more load carrying capacity than the GAWR - by some factor. I think that factor is 15%.

So, No!, I don't think you should be running pressures according to the chart.

Oh, and the idea that you can tell if a vehicle manufacturer's inflation pressure specification is low by just looikng at the value - like 30 psi - is totally booooooogus!

It's the combination of SIZE and inflation pressure. A small tire with high inflation pressure is no more safe than a larger tire with a low inflation pressure!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote