Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
Eco Boost

A friend told me that he towed a piece of equipment that weighed 2500 pounds. It was not aerodynamic at all. He got 8.5 mpg running 60 mph.
He has a 2012 Ford Eco Boost.

We tow with a 2011 Dodge 3500 with diesel engine. We have a 30 ft Classic with S/O. I like to go with the flow of traffic but hardly ever go over 65 mph. We average 12.3 overall.

Afew years ago when we had a 26 Classic and towed with a different vehicle we made a trip to the Badlands of the Dakotas. When we were visiting with friends sometime after the trip we learned they had made the exact same trip we had just made. They stay in motels (ugh) during their travels. He commented on how high rooms were near the tourist areas. He said they spend a little over thirteen hundred dollars for thirteen nights of rooms.
My wife pulled out her log book for the trip and did some checking on our expenses. We spent nine hundred dollars for campgrounds and our fuel for the entire trip. After that I don't worry about fuel costs. Besides sleeping in your own bed, not having to eat out all the time and mostly beautiful camping spots, we love our Airstream travels.

You travels and experiences may differ.

Hickory

Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
A friend told me that he towed a piece of equipment that weighed 2500 pounds. It was not aerodynamic at all. He got 8.5 mpg running 60 mph.
He has a 2012 Ford Eco Boost.
Resistance factor increases with speed. Yes, I read the f150 forum and the towing group has come to a conclusion as I mentioned about ecoboosts, torque and final drive ratio. the higher ratios keep it in boost mode burning more gas. they suggest the 3:55 ratio is better for that engine.

Just to reiterate I check overall mileage at fill ups using the odometer; however, I wanted to find out what a forum member mentioned, that he could save 20% by slowing down. By using the computer I was able to determine that such a thing is potentially possible as it read a 1 mpg difference between 5 mph increments. The computer may be less accurate but not severely off on difference. What is tricky is if I reset it, drive down the highway for 10 miles getting 21mpg then get gas when I used a half tank driving around town. When I check the mileage I get per se 17 mpg and wonder why. My 2010 VW tdi computer was very accurate when checking against odometer reading and fill ups.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
We try to keep it between 50-65 mph and get 12-14 mpg with a 2500 diesel. Even a heavier trailer yields about the same mpg ... aerodynamics and frontal area seem to be the big factors. (E=mv^2)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #32
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"What is tricky is if I reset it, drive down the highway for 10 miles getting 21mpg then get gas when I used a half tank driving around town. When I check the mileage I get per se 17 mpg and wonder why. My 2010 VW tdi computer was very accurate when checking against odometer reading and fill ups."

Rod,

I don't know for sure if it applies the the Ford powertrain control module, (PCM) but on our Burb the driver info center was off by 3mpg until it was reprogrammed to match correctly the tire diameter.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
What is tricky is if I reset it, drive down the highway for 10 miles getting 21mpg then get gas when I used a half tank driving around town. When I check the mileage I get per se 17 mpg and wonder why.
Nothing tricky about that, you lie to the computer and it can't get an accurate reading. You filled the tank drove a while on that tank, reset and changed driving to a way that was getting different mileage.

Same as siphoning 5 gallons of gas out of the tank and wondering why the computer says your truck burned 5 gallons less then it took to fill the tank.