Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Most folks resistant to better mpg (as well as longer tire life, driver having wider periperhal views, etc) aren't aware of how much time they actually spend at travel speed . . less than they would imagine versus recording it to see the data. Control over the stops made during the day is the key to best average mph from start to finish. Key-on to key-off. IOW, a "slower" travel speed is sometimes just as fast or faster than one higher in mph.
That's true I just got back from a trip and towing for about 300 miles a day on the same highway there were many vehicles unique enough to say "That's the third time they passed us today."

Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I drove from Ca to Smoky Mountain, Tennessee with Lexus GX470 got an average of 12 mpg. Leaving tomorrow back to CA via Kentucky and Arkansas. A total trip of over 5000 miles. This is precursor to our trip to Aaska next summer.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I wanted to post these results as an mpg record. I have read posts about mileage and towing and savings, etc. I decided to do my own experiment. Here goes:

The weather was 68% humity 69 degress F. There was a 45-50 degree off mild headwind breeze from the right.

25' with full water tank flat Florida I-75 travel. 2009 F150 4.6L3V HO 6speed auto 3.55:1 with Hess Mid-grade fuel.

Goal? To find if there was a difference in MPG between 5mph increments and if so, how much. I did this on the first day of travel and on the return day with almost the same results. Figures are rounded withing two tenths of a whole.

50mph - 15mpg
55mph - 14mpg
60mph - 13mpg
65mph - 12mpg

I know this looks too perfect but 60 mph, for example was bouncing at 12.8 to 13.0 on the readout so the rounded results read approximate amounts. I ran each for 5 miles or so and then sped up to 65mph the rest of the trip. My fuel fill and manual check indicated 12 mpg which is also in line.

One poster not long ago mentioned how he could save 20% by driving 50mph and apparently he was correct.I get 21.4-22.2 mpg at 65mph not towing but it drops to 20 at 70 mph.

The new Ford 150 that debuted this week is supposed to be around 4 mpg better than the offerings now. Lets see, that would be a range from 16-19 mpg towing!!!! Hope springs forth!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Ford simply doesn't tell the truth on fuel economy. They create expectations they can't fulfill. Any Ford service department manager will share his/her remorse about it!

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
How do you calculate?

I have been reading this thread with interest. Is everyone calculating their milage the old fashioned way gallons used by milage driven, or using the on board computer readout?

My experience with the on board computer in my truck (F-350 diesel ) is that it isn't accurate and most times gives a higher MPG than if I calculate it manually.

My best milage occurs when I stay between 60 to 64mph, and I keep in the right lane with the cruise control on. My last trip of 1500 miles I got 11.8 Mpg

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I use GPS or map-calculated mileage for our trips rather than odometer. Trip computer. What's that?

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Is everyone calculating their milage the old fashioned way gallons used by milage driven, or using the on board computer readout?
I agree that the old fashioned way is the most accurate. In what I shared I used the computer to check the difference, not odometer/fill-up actuals. I have towed before and gotten 12mpg at 65 more than once using odometer reading and gas fill measures. So, I wanted to watch the computer and see what the truck computer showed at the different speeds. My previous trip this summer towing using the odometer/fill-up method was 13 mpg and I drove around 60mph. What I have found about the truck computer is that it is accurate only if reset at the point of testing- up to speed per se. The reason is that it averages all driving since the last reset into the reading and will skew the figure. I reset every five miles. I can only share but I can tell you that the truck gets 15-16 in town and 20- to almost 22.5 mpg on the hwy depending on the speed 60-70mph not towing on a regular basis using gas station fuel used/odometer readings. The only way to know using that method would require multiple trips at the different speeds. I believe it to be accurate. My mileage will drop about 1mpg if I use regular gas for some reason. The ecoboost reports are about 2mpg higher than mine @70 mph (22mpg) and that coming from many owners online- flat runs, etc. I only see higher mpg at lower speed.

oh, on the matter of Ford and mileage, another issue that the F150 ecoboost owners forum members have realized towing 4-7k and 8-10K is that the old adage of the 3.73 rear keeps them in boost mode sucking gas and lowering mileage. Most members concur that the 4.10:1, and the 3.73 be chosen only for very heavy loads- 9K and above since that engine as it as such high torque to begin with.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The new Ford 150 that debuted this week is supposed to be around 4 mpg better than the offerings now. Lets see, that would be a range from 16-19 mpg towing!!!! Hope springs forth!

For a gas-motored vehicle, towing an aero aluminum TT, take from 30-40% off the EPA highway mileage (at 58-mph, for comparative purposes). If it is at the low end of this, it is doing well. A 21-mpg gas truck = 14.7-mpg. A 25-mpg gas truck might be 15+ for a TT of our type.

I wouldn't bet on it being higher. The number of details to do a proper mechanical baseline on both vehicles is outside the interest of 99.7% of those towing. What is necessary past that (driver training) is probably past that last 3/10's as well. The number who do it all -- to truly bring fuel burn to a low point -- is miniscule.

Accept only records of averages over thousands of miles. This then includes how the owner is truly using the combination vehicle. Tanks that are high or low are meaningless. It is the average that counts. Only the average.

And the average is shown by cents-per-mile fuel cost while on vacation. This is the only reasonable number, in the end.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Accept only records of averages over thousands of miles. This then includes how the owner is truly using the combination vehicle. Tanks that are high or low are meaningless. It is the average that counts. Only the average.
Makes for sound judgement.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Average MPG Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Makes for sound judgement.
Makes for ease in trip-planning when I know that my cost (at a current $4/gl) is 25-cpm, towing.

It also allows me to compare with others, when, in order of importance:

1] Vehicle spec
2] Climate
3] Terrain
4] Driver skill, or awareness

can be determined from the posts of others or via direct inquiry.

My average is for a flatlander in mild weather. But I can inquire of those with a roughly similar rig to see how colder weather and/or mountainous terrain affects mpg. What they see from one to another.

That's why an average is important to note. To record. All gallons and all miles. Unfortunately, very few keep good records (despite a great deal of whining on the subject across RV boards).

For a vacation on a set budget, getting fuel costs under control is Job One.

I made searches across those boards some years ago to find comparable rigs. Found close to a dozen. Made a few inquiries. Have, I think, a decent set of comparisons to plan with. The cost of fuel is about all I have to look for, for now.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Some of us may remember the gas embargo days and the nationwide speed limit of 55 mph. The espoused rule of thumb that worked pretty well then was that for each increment of 5 mph above 55, there would be an additional 10% reduction in fuel economy.

The relates to an engineering idea that to double the rate of speed takes the cube of the horse power which directly relates to fuel consumption.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

...shutters and all ...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Here is a picture of the 2015 F150. Supposedly to be sold middle to fall 2014. Aside from the front, the biggest difference I noticed was the raked windshield and the center roof cutout (cannot see here) and, they are still shooting the 700 lbs less figure and look, even in Airstream silver too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fordf150.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	177458  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post
I have been reading this thread with interest. Is everyone calculating their milage the old fashioned way gallons used by milage driven, or using the on board computer readout?

My experience with the on board computer in my truck (F-350 diesel ) is that it isn't accurate and most times gives a higher MPG than if I calculate it manually.

My best milage occurs when I stay between 60 to 64mph, and I keep in the right lane with the cruise control on. My last trip of 1500 miles I got 11.8 Mpg

Regards,

Reganzo
My numbers with a Ford Excursion diesel and a smaller (25) Safari are a only a little better since the truck and trailer are smaller. Wind resistence is the biggest factor in determining fuel economy, weight is secondary. Fuel mileage is determined at the pump when miles traveled are divided by the fuel consumed. The onboard computer is too generous.It takes lots of energy to move a trailer and tow vehicle. Even if a Prius had the power, it wouldn't get better numbers.