Old 06-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post

read, then follow link posted a couple posts below for videos...

I apologize if this isn't applicable to your question...
Interesting read.
Makes me want to sign up for irv2.
I tow a 30' with a Tundra.
I know the payload is maxed out.

2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
There is a road test of the Colorado diesel with a Lance 2155 trailer in the May, 2016 Trailer Life. I have the paper version but let me know if you can't find the link.

romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Lafayette , Louisiana
Canyon Diesel TV with a 20' FC Bambi

My wife an I just purchased a Canyon Diesel after my first TV was stolen from my driveway. We were using a 2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 and have a 20' Bambi, after towing the entire US south of Kentucky had no problems.

We bought the Canyon because I liked the looks of it and wanted the extra torque. (almost double) So far we are still in the break-in stage and so have not towed at speeds above 50 mph. I will say that I like the feel of the combo so far. Before I bought the truck I got the GMC tow guide and ran the numbers on my rig. The trailer weights I used were from measured cat scat readings. I have not reweighed yet but have made some short hauls. The numbers follow, I hope this comes out readable on the forum.

Actual Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (TGVW + GVW) 10,126 This number must not exceed GCVWR of the tow vehicle.

Actual % of GCVWR 79.73% Total Rig weight greater than 90% of GCVWR can cause excessive
wear and tear, and leaves a limited margin for error or for safety.
Under / (Over) GCVWR 2,574

Actual Weight Tow Vehicle (GVW) 5,332
Trailer Tongue Weight (Enter % as whole number) 10 479 Tongue weight recommended to be between
10 and 15% of trailer weight.

Final total GVW calculation for tow vehicle 5,811 This number must not exceed GVWR of Tow Vehicle
Under / (Over) GVWR for tow vehicle 189 This number represents the weight changes needed.

With realistic numbers I am about 189 lbs to the good and am happy with things in the short term. Hopefully it will be fun to see how the long term plays out.
ricwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado 2.9 Diesel

I like our 99 F250, but it's huge and thirsty. However, it doesn't know it's pulling a trailer, even when loaded.

We live 1/2 time in the USA and 1/2 time in Mexico. In Mexico the VW Amarok is available, great little truck; but pricey and not (currently) available in the USA.

So I was really happy to see the GMC/Chevy small diesels as they are available in both places. I think I've read everything available on the web about them and could find no downsides. So if our AS doesn't sell, the F250 may get replaced.

The data you posted is a bit garbled. Researching, I read 7,700# tow rating with 1,530# payload for the 2WD diesel.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Jacksonville , Florida
Bumping this thread. I am seriously considering one of these now. I have a ton of power in my SQ5 but not the suspension for anything more than a sport 22 I don't imagine. Thinking really hard on trading it for a blacked-out canyon diesel to pull a 25'.

I want the pull power but want something more nimble than a F250 ect. I want my cake...
Usnroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
That's kind of what started the thread ...

I like my full size truck, but sometimes it's a pain due to its largeness. Read the reviews ... one was from inner city.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I'm bumping this thread because I am interested in the small truck with diesel engine.

I looked at your posts on the other forum regarding payload. You wrote; "This weight includes you, passengers, dogs, cats, stuff in the back seat, GAS (6lb per gallon) AND the downward force a trailer or fifth wheel applies to your hitch."

I wanted to make a comment:
When the manufacturer calculates maximum payload they use the actual weight of the vehicle with the fuel tank full (at least that is what I have determined by reading several GM manuals) There is no need to add the weight of fuel to payload when making payload calculations as you stated.

However, if the fuel tank is kept partially empty, one could theoretically add additional payload (more than the max payload rating) to compensate for less fuel weight. The key is not exceeding GVWR or axle rating, while loading the tow vehicle.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe it would be more useful if members would not simplify a vehicle's towing suitability by looking up payload specification. Then add up trailer tongue and hitch weight, passengers, pets, stuff, gas etc and declare the vehicle incompetent. Few just drop a travel trailer on the ball and head out across the country, as this elementary assessment implies.

We can be much smarter than that. There's more in the characteristics of the vehicle and travel trailer, loading of each, modification of each, the hitch type and adjustment, distribution and balance of loads, where and how combination is driven, inventory of appropriate camping gear, reduce speed to increase safety margin, to name a few.

This diesel Canyon/Colorado will serve some Airstreamers well as a tow vehicle and economical daily driver, especially well when properly set up for towing. Do your research.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
I enjoyed this ...
Old 06-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #24

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
The problem I have with tfl truck videos for me, is that the tests are run in the winter and other than saying how fast they are going don't provide enough technical feed back in terms of how hot things are running under the hood. I live in the dessert southwest and would like to see this rig going up the grapevine in the summer for example. How hot is the engine and transmission temperatures running at, and I don't mean saying that they are running "normal", that doesn't mean much to me. I like to see real numbers especially when I'm towing. I'm still searching for this condition in you tube
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
I'd never heard of TFL. It's been a while since I bought a vehicle.

For me, they aren't unibody, they are trucks intended to tow, independent front suspension, will carry 1,530#, and tow over 7,700# - good enough. Next time we're in civilization will probably test drive one.

I lived in the Mojave for a few years and never saw a newer American make on the side of the road overheated. There was a guy on another thread whose Benz overheated while towing in Colorado. So who knows?
Old 06-05-2016, 12:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon

might be a good truck, but i'd for sure wanna know those payload numbers...

Hi, two things about your post.

(1.) My truck includes a full 36 gallon tank of gas before the payload.

(2.) My F-150's payload is 1745 lbs and some 3/4 tons have less payload than that.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:22 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
Smile 2015 Canyon (Gas)

Hi Everyone--saw this post the other day but did not have a moment to reply until now.--We have a 2012 23' FB Flying Cloud which we toured the US last year. Our tv was our new 2015 GMC Canyon. We travelled from Phila. down thru TN ,MS to New Orleans & Then headed west Thru TX, NM AZ & CA. After a week in Yosemite, we headed Northeast thru Idaho & then across to the UP and down thru MI to get to Jackson Center & then back thru PA.
We logged about 12,500 miles , 50 stops & averaged 15.5 mpg! The Canyon can pull 7,000# is a V6 & has 305 horsepower. It also has downshifting in "manual" gear which was great for the high mountain roads & saved riding the brakes. Hitch is an "equalizer", installed by Dixie RV, which also worked well. We also installed a brake controller, which is a must.--This was our 1st venture & we were newbies but learned much info & fact-finding via the forums.---and also researching & calling either Airstream or Dixie...and talking to other Airstreamers at campsites.
We left Phila 4/1/15 & returned 7/24/15.--Great trip! ----Hope this info helps.--I did hear "rumors" of a diesel model , but dealer said same thing..."in the planning stage, but no one has seen one"--We were very satisfied with the gas version.--Good Luck !!
schafman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Looking at the FLT video of the diesel model its not that impressive. The previous post with the gas version sounds like a better and more affordable alternative. Whats the payload sticker on the drivers door show as available load?

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote