Old 07-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
GMC Allison Transmission Overheat

I recently towed my 2007 25' Airstream to the dealer with my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with Duramax and 6 speed Allison. When I was on my way home without the trailer in tow the alarm sounded that my transmission was overheating. GMC delaer checked it out and can not find any problem. Has anyone had a similar overheat condition with their Allison 6 speed?

Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
If the dealer can't find anything, it might just be throwing a code in error. After all, it is a piece of electronic marvel made by man.
You might check Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums, and search the Allison forum for the same symptoms.
Cheers, Jeff

Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybags
If the dealer can't find anything, it might just be throwing a code in error. After all, it is a piece of electronic marvel made by man.
You might check Diesel Place - Duramax Diesel Discussion Forums, and search the Allison forum for the same symptoms.
Cheers, Jeff
Yup! My 2003 frequently tosses out code 0301 (---"misfire" or "emission" problem) and two or three starts later, or the next day, or after refueling, the little engine light goes away. I normally check it out with OnStar - but once I hear the code I just ignore it. A steady engine light does not, in general, indicate a problem of "immediate" concern. A flashing light is a different matter! I've been thinking about investing in one of the electronic code reader devices - and getting a copy of all of the GM codes. At least then, I could cancel a steady engine light before it begins to bug me! If it comes back on right away that would probably prompt me to take the vehicle in for service. OnStar is obligated to tell you to take the vehicle in for service as soon as possible - but that can get awfully expensive and inconvenient when you're on the road travelling. In most of the cars I owned growing up, if this little idiot light had been available, it would have been on 95% of the time!!! I think that it's a great thing to have, what with the cost of the vehicles we drive today, if it does, indeed, forewarn us of a pending serious problem that we would not normally detect - but I still rely heavily on the gauges for oil pressure, temperature, turbo temperature and alternator output, as well as other mechanical indications, sounds, and sensations.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach
I recently towed my 2007 25' Airstream to the dealer with my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with Duramax and 6 speed Allison. When I was on my way home without the trailer in tow the alarm sounded that my transmission was overheating. GMC delaer checked it out and can not find any problem. Has anyone had a similar overheat condition with their Allison 6 speed?
Did it give you the actual temperature or just an over temp alarm?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
SlimJim...The transmission temperature gauge was reading 275+, the dashboard readout indicated that I should idle the engine and the alarm horn was on. GM dealer checked it out and said it was a computer glitch and it did not look like the trans overheated. I sent out a sample of the trans oil to a lab today to check it out.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Powder Springs , Georgia
Good luck. I have the same transmission and 275 does sound like it warrants an alarm. I would think the computer was doing its job if it saw this temperature. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Update: received the Blackstone Lab report on the transmission fluid indicating that the Dexron fluid was normal and did not show any results from overheating. The GMC dealer was not aware that GM recommends that the transmission spin-on filter should be changed on the first engine oil change and then again at 30,000 miles. Allison website recommends the first filter change at 5,000 miles. Will change filter and hope that all is well.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Smart, smart, smart doing UOA!