Old 03-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
So, do I qualify?? Or not?

Hello all -

ST - read your posts on this question. Did some reading about this problem on other Blogs but none address the 2 situations I mentioned in one of my previous post with my TV.

Is it your 'opinion' that what my TV is doing on occation, would or would not be addressed by the "fix" GM is doing on similar vehicles??? Is what I wrote about even a serious issue to be worried about? Now, I know that you aren't a 'service writer' at a dealership, but I am curious on your thoughts.

Thanks!

Axel

Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Pieman et al -

Sorry about my poor choice of words. When I wrote about 'riding herd' at the dealership I didn't mean to imply that they are the cause of the problem. Nor did I mean for it to sound like I would be unkind, unruly or impolite.

There are however times when places of business (car dealership service facilities included) can try to make issues out to be something that can't be helped, is outside their purview, and generally try to get out of doing the right thing. In this case, going in with MAX info and details is a very good thing. 99+% of people work extremely hard and are consiencious about their work - a few bad apples can really mess things up for everyone, in my experience.

So, sorry if you, Pieman, or anyone was upset by my choice of verbage.

Ciao

Axel
Silvertoy--No apology needed here. This is one reason I have always felt it was good to have a good relationship with a reputable dealer. You can do this by doing a little busness with them, getting to know them ,etc. From my experience there are dealers that handle things like this in one of two ways. One by their actions or sometimes words will say," you've never spent a dime with us. Why should I go out of my way to help you.?'' The other, and this by the way, is how I treated customers. If I go the extra mile I have a chance of making you my customer. And if I was able to help I was never shy in reminding that person that I hoped they would remember this and do some busness with us. It would be nice if we all treated people as we liked to be treated but that's not the real world. Just as many folks think all dealers are rip offs because of an experience they've had, some dealers feel that way about customers when they get railed on day after day for things they have no control of. ----Pieman

Old 03-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I am not sure what you've described is the issue that is being recalled. My car does the same thing your Burb is doing, though my Burb doesn't do it...yet.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
And you Eric are going to just go ahead and live with it - ergo, not a problem that requires your time and effort at this stage. Do I have that about right?? Time will tell,and possibly alter things that will possibly require this to become a high priority issue - it is not that now.

Thumbs up or Thumbs down on my reading and assessing skills.

Trying to be definative for my own edification.

Thanks for the patience in dealing with me about this.

Axel
Old 03-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In my case, I think it's the design of the ABS that makes this possible. On the Impala, the ABS system shares lines...each wheel doesn't have a dedicated ABS brake line from what I understand (even though each wheel has a ABS sensor), so if one wheel in the front does loose traction, one or more additional wheels will be effected in the manner in which you describe. The SS and Caprice are my first ABS cars and from what I read on the car forums, it was just a cheap ABS system GM threw in. Not sure my '04 Burb has the same ABS, I just know it hasn't done what the Impala or Caprice (both '96s) do, which is what your seeing with your truck. Though the Caprice has 86k on it, the Impala only has 4800 and it did what you describe since day one. Though I will admit that the Caprice that has more miles does exhibit the symptoms more often as it is the daily driver (as you can tell I don't drive the SS all that much).

So, yes, I am concerned about it, yes I could see it impact me in certain situations, yes I have considered taking out the relay and/or fuse that makes the ABS system in those cars work, but haven't since as bad as the ABS is in my two cars, it has saved my behind more than once by allowing me to still steer and the number of times the issue happens, in my case is small. In my case, I see it as a design flaw that can't really be corrected due to the nature of the system. I don't know if you have the same on I do in the 96s.

I can only add that I have towed with the Caprice for thousands of miles with the issue you describe. Even with the known limitation, I didn't run into any issues. That's not to say I couldn't and why some folks that have the Impala/Caprice (94/94/96) that I know have actually turned off the ABS by yanking the relay and fuse for it.

Having properly maint trailer brakes I think could also help lessen any impact of the issue. Is it the safest? Not by a long shot, but as I said earlier, GM, Ford, Dodge and all the rest file a recall only of they are forced to and/or it is cheaper to fix than deal with possible litigation.

On last thing I have to say though, is that I don't drive your truck and am only going by what I've read. If you feel a saftey issue is present in your vehicle, I would suggest every day of the week and twice on Sunday that you take it to a qualified, trustworthly repair center for a checkup to make sure.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
1971 21' Globetrotter
glen carbon , Illinois
GM good to me.

I complained about my gm brakes shortly after my 2000 truck was new. I had a problem shortly after my warrenty was up. I had a sensor on rt. front repaced 350 dollars. I traded truck on new 2006 duramax. got a recall notice on old truck. I sent GM the bill and they issued me a check for the full amount.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash
I complained about my gm brakes shortly after my 2000 truck was new. I had a problem shortly after my warrenty was up. I had a sensor on rt. front repaced 350 dollars. I traded truck on new 2006 duramax. got a recall notice on old truck. I sent GM the bill and they issued me a check for the full amount.
Responce like that makes for loyal customers. -------Pieman