Old 11-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #29
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

RB is right on.... 1 thru 7 all true.
Third party, poor coverage and a real pain to deal with. "hold off we have to send an inspector out" Customer PO'd...car has to sit at least 24hrs.

As a service advisor the most common customer statement made to me...
"but the salesman told me "everything" is covered bumper to bumper.... NOT."

Don't buy from the sales person alone, see the finance guy. He's usually the one at the dealership responsible for extended warranties.
Even GMPP, which has about the most comprehensive coverage has exclusions. Like the bumpers themselves, glass,trim,serpintine belts,batteries,etc,etc.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #30
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post
I sell exclusively the extended warranty service contracts offered by the manufacturer that I represent. Over the years I have learned, and you can't change my mind on this, that there are no good 3rd party warranty companies. I have listed some things you should keep in mind or do when purchasing a service contract for your vehicle.

1. If you are buying a new car service contract which can generally be purchased up to 4 years or 48,000 miles from the original in service date, keep in mind that the stated time and mileage on the plan are from the original warranty start date - not the date you purchased the plan.

2. Do not purchase directly from the manufacturer. They will solicit you through the mail. Any price they offer can be matched or bettered by your local dealer and the dealer should be better prepared to answer questions about coverage. They can offer the same payment plan administered by their manufacturer.

3. Buy the plan from the dealership where you intend to have your repairs done. Larger dealers sometimes enable service personnel to sell the contracts and they receive compensation for the sale. They appreciate this. Dealers are more apt to help when a problem arises if they sold the plan.

4. Do the math. Make sure the plan will provide coverage - both time and mileage - for the number of years you intend to keep the vehicle and the miles you intend to drive. You should, at least, buy enough coverage to take you beyond your loan. There is nothing worse than having to foot the bill for a big repair while you're still paying for the vehicle.

5. Go with the lowest deductible offered. Usually by the time you pay your deductible 3 or 4 times you could have bought the zero deductible plan to begin with. Remember, the deductible is paid each repair visit. Just like you pay your insurance deductible every time they repair your car after you wreck it.

6. You CAN negotiate the price (but only at the dealer level.) The retail price of most auto manufacturers service contracts are marked up enough that the dealer should be able to give you a substantial discount. I give my customers a 20% discount if they return to me rather than purchase from the manufacturer through the mail.

7. Familiarize yourself with the coverage. I constantly see transient repair customers with service contracts that "cover everything." There is no such thing! Also, regardless of the plan you buy - don't be surprised if the first needed repair is not covered. That's life.

Roger
Roger, I have the GMPP paperwork in front of me right now. A couple of comments;

1) It clearly states "time and mileage limits of the GMPP selected will be calculated from the date of your GMPP purchase and odometer mileage on the date you purchase your GMPP". In the table it also clearly shows "miles added"...
2) True. And yes, it was the finance guy I spoke with.
3) Good point. My local dealer has pretty good service dept.
4) Yes. Good point.
5) Yes, I did not look at it that way...
6) Local dealer was less expensive than the propaganda I receive in the mail! Glad I called them. (Another member who works for GM is supplying a third quote also...ThanK YOU!)
7) Major guard plan is very comprehensive...but yes, I read the details (fine print).

Thanx, Bill

Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
GM Protection Plan - GMPP - Discounted Prices Online, Calculate Your Own Price on the General Motors Protection Plan!"
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Roger, I have the GMPP paperwork in front of me right now.

1) It clearly states "time and mileage limits of the GMPP selected will be calculated from the date of your GMPP purchase and odometer mileage on the date you purchase your GMPP". In the table it also clearly shows "miles added"...
Bill, The Chrysler Service Contracts new car plans I sell count from the warranty start date. I have a long window to sell the new car plans - up to 4/48. Chryslers used car plans -sold beyond 4/48 - start counting on the purchase date of the plan. I assumed GM's worked the same way. I think GM's way is better. Less confusing.

Roger
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post
Bill, The Chrysler Service Contracts new car plans I sell count from the warranty start date. I have a long window to sell the new car plans - up to 4/48. Chryslers used car plans -sold beyond 4/48 - start counting on the purchase date of the plan. I assumed GM's worked the same way. I think GM's way is better. Less confusing.

Roger
Yeah, when I asked the GM guy, he said I'd be crazy not to wait untill the last minute/mile to purchase the GMPP...or I would be covered by the standard warranty and the GMPP at the same time!
Makes sense...

Thanx for your advice, Bill