Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yep, my truck came with a 5 yr/100,000 mile drive train warranty, but that warranty actually only covered the core of the drive train, so my extended warranty just took the 36/36,000 mile warranty out to 5 yr/100,000 miles.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I declined to extend the warranty on my 2004 Duramax. 85,000 miles and climbing. I'll bear the risk.

pat

Old 11-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Decision time (unfortunately)

Well the time has come for us to make a decision about GM’s extended service. The best plan is available up to 24k miles, we are now approaching 23k miles and will have to decide soon. This, of course, is not a good time to be sending any checks to GM.
There are 2 options when paying for this plan (total cost is about $1200);
  • Lump sum payment
  • Monthy ~$67 for 18 months. There is an added $100 “handling” fee if you choose this option.

When I first considered buying the extended service plan a couple of months ago (prior to this economic mess) my thought was to pay the lump sum and avoid the $100 fee just prior to hitting the magic 24k mile number.
Now that GM is faced with bankruptcy, and I don’t want to miss out on the extended service plan, I am thinking it may make more sense to go with the monthly option. If GM does file for reorg, and the extended service plans and warranties are no longer valid, I can just stop payment and only be out a partial loss if the worst case happens…

What is likely to happen to warranty issues and extended service plans if GM files for bankruptcy?
What thinks ye?

Bill
Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Notice the warranty ad tags at the top of this page....stay away.
Your state dmv is most likely responsible for any mail/phone solicitations you get.
22yrs as a knuckle buster, 10 as a service advisor tells me the Factory offerings are the only ones worth the money and only if you own and your yearly mi warrants the investment.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would go with the monthly plan too.. You just never know... We used the heck out of our extended warranty on our 01 blazer, but didn't touch it on our 01 4-runner..

Take the monthly plan, worse case you are out the $100 and what ever months payments you have made, verses being out the whole lot if they decide to not honor them...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Purchased an extended warranty on a 2003 VW Passat it paid for itself 3+ times over. Also purchased one for a 2004 Tundra, I have 85k miles on it and have not used it. However if i don't use it by 100k miles i get the full amount of the cost of the warranty returned to me.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yeah, I think maybe the monthly is the way to go in current climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I would go with the monthly plan too.. You just never know... We used the heck out of our extended warranty on our 01 blazer, but didn't touch it on our 01 4-runner..

Take the monthly plan, worse case you are out the $100 and what ever months payments you have made, verses being out the whole lot if they decide to not honor them...
I had the opposite experience. I had one yota a couple years back-it was so bad, I turned it in before the lease was up and paid a penalty to get out of it early (imagine-I paid $ to return it !?), turned me off on foreign vehicles, and leasing.
We buy outright, makes better financial sense when keeping a vehicle long term/lots o' miles...
I have never purchased an extended warranty, have not needed it for the 7 or so Chevy's we have owned over the years. But the cost of repairs nowadays-yikes! I can't imagine anything happening to the Duramax/Allison (it is incredibly bulletproof ) but, I am sure the $1200 cost of the GMPP could be covered real fast with even a minor repair; power seat, radio, whatever...

Bill (Made in America-born on the 4th of July)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I hate to say it, but if you are going to pickup an extended warranty, the monthly at this point makes the most sense given the climate.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Monthly for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I hate to say it, but if you are going to pickup an extended warranty, the monthly at this point makes the most sense given the climate.
I agree with Silvertwinkie, common sense suggests that a monthly commitment is far more practical given the financial climate of the auto industry.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Gm

When the GM ship sinks who will cover you then.You will be fixing your GM auto with NOS part yourself when GM and all the dealer are gone.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
When the GM ship sinks who will cover you then.You will be fixing your GM auto with NOS part yourself when GM and all the dealer are gone.
That is the million dollar question. It's one that a number of us have tried to point out on another thread specifically talking about the big 2.5 loans.

Should any or all of the big 2.5 go away, it's going to be a major crap sandwich, for which all domestic owners will have to take a bite, maybe even some of the non domestics as well.

I currently have 3 GM vehicles and to be honest, I have NO idea if GM files or disappears what will happen in terms of parts, dealerships, etc.

My gut says it aint gonna be good and it aint gonna be pretty. Maybe not even pretty for the foreign owned automakers because the big 2.5 are in part the suppliers for other brands as well. They are also in bed with the main suppliers too Motorcraft, Delphi, Packard connectors, American Axle, etc that all come to mind.

Should any of the big 2.5 default via a bankruptcy, these suppliers and other suppliers will see maybe .20 on the dollar and may file at the same time any one of the big 2.5 file. So as you can see, it's not a pretty picture. A lot of our eggs are in one basket and there are folks that believe, outside of part and warranty issues that loosing 2.5 million direct and indirect jobs is worth loosing and of course, most of the parts we need to keep our motors and vehicles running, at least initially till some .org steps in and fills the niche for the millions of domestics (and some foreign) already on the road.

Me pops 1982 300d had an AC Delco air compressor in it as an example. We were a global planet back then and today the lines are even far more blurred in terms of a global economy.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
That is the million dollar question. It's one that a number of us have tried to point out on another thread specifically talking about the big 2.5 loans.

Should any or all of the big 2.5 go away, it's going to be a major crap sandwich, for which all domestic owners will have to take a bite.

I currently have 3 GM vehicles and to be honest, I have NO idea if GM files or disappears what will happen in terms of parts, dealerships, etc.

My gut says it aint gonna be good and it aint gonna be pretty.

My gut said it should fail if they can not fix it them self.
Oboma will most likley give them the big $$$$that in realality the USA does not have.He will just get it from China like Bush does.In the end we will all be walking to the poor house if we can even find that.
Your right it aint gonna be pretty and it is just getting started.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Does anyone have any specific experience with GM extended service plan (GMPP)?

I have tossed this around many times and just got a pretty attractive offer from GM, the DuraMax has been absolutely trouble free to date, but I will be out of warranty in a little while…and it gets from pretty hard use.

Thanx, Bill
Bill,

I just signed up last Saturday for a 2008 Sierra SLT 2500HD 4x4 crew cab diesel. Hope to get it this coming Friday.

I really debated over the extended warranty and in the end bought it,
(From GM).

The factory warranty runs 3 years/60,000km bumper to bumper and
5 years/100,000 km power train, and I paid $1911(Can) to extend both out to 6 years/120,000km. The extended warr. has a $100 deductible.

I look at these warranties more from the standpoint of an insurance policy not to have to worry about things on extended trips, not necessarily expecting to recoup the cost of the warranty in repairwork.

The warranty is transferable also which I think should be a selling point.

I did have extended warranties on my last two vehicles.

On the first, a Safari minivan, the warranty paid for over $11,000 worth of repairs!! Tranny, front suspension, major engine work, A/C and a bunch os smaller items.

On the second, a Sierra 1500 4x4 ext cab I had about $1200 of work covered so didn't break even - but that's ok!

I agree with what others have said with respect to getting the warranty from the manufacturer.

The first one I had was thru a third party and they made it absolutely terrible for me every time I had a claim - had to threaten to take them to court more than once. It was not a pleasant experience.

I'm sure others may have had bad experiences with manufacturers extended warranties, but i had o complaints with GM's coverage on my last Sierra.

Now I just have to hope GM is around for the next five years!

Brian.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
I sell exclusively the extended warranty service contracts offered by the manufacturer that I represent. Over the years I have learned, and you can't change my mind on this, that there are no good 3rd party warranty companies. I have listed some things you should keep in mind or do when purchasing a service contract for your vehicle.

1. If you are buying a new car service contract which can generally be purchased up to 4 years or 48,000 miles from the original in service date, keep in mind that the stated time and mileage on the plan are from the original warranty start date - not the date you purchased the plan.

2. Do not purchase directly from the manufacturer. They will solicit you through the mail. Any price they offer can be matched or bettered by your local dealer and the dealer should be better prepared to answer questions about coverage. They can offer the same payment plan administered by their manufacturer.

3. Buy the plan from the dealership where you intend to have your repairs done. Larger dealers sometimes enable service personnel to sell the contracts and they receive compensation for the sale. They appreciate this. Dealers are more apt to help when a problem arises if they sold the plan.

4. Do the math. Make sure the plan will provide coverage - both time and mileage - for the number of years you intend to keep the vehicle and the miles you intend to drive. You should, at least, buy enough coverage to take you beyond your loan. There is nothing worse than having to foot the bill for a big repair while you're still paying for the vehicle.

5. Go with the lowest deductible offered. Usually by the time you pay your deductible 3 or 4 times you could have bought the zero deductible plan to begin with. Remember, the deductible is paid each repair visit. Just like you pay your insurance deductible every time they repair your car after you wreck it.

6. You CAN negotiate the price (but only at the dealer level.) The retail price of most auto manufacturers service contracts are marked up enough that the dealer should be able to give you a substantial discount. I give my customers a 20% discount if they return to me rather than purchase from the manufacturer through the mail.

7. Familiarize yourself with the coverage. I constantly see transient repair customers with service contracts that "cover everything." There is no such thing! Also, regardless of the plan you buy - don't be surprised if the first needed repair is not covered. That's life.

Roger