Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
That's a good payload for a 1/2T......lots of good information here. You will notice on the Forum, it's pretty much open to everyone's response....wether you want to read it is another story!
The airbag suspension issue was an eye opener for me when I had my F150 EB with only 1039lbs payload rating...I thought the answer might be adding airbags until I saw the video and herd from several folks on the Forum that it masks the problem; doesn't fix it. Here is a good video of airbags:

https://youtu.be/XBZu39pQ8Gg
This video IS the truth....speaking as a 34 year industry professional.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinLarson View Post
Thought title was sufficient, however it is a GMC 1500 Seirra SLT with Max Trailering Package, a 5.3 liter ecotec, 8 speed transmission, 3.42 rear differential, 10,800 tow capacity. Towing a 25 foot 2009 Front Bedroom Flying Cloud....
All that said, not asking about my setup (have no doubt truck is capable) but I am interested in how owners of similar GM's have found the trucks overall performance ..and did they find any issues that I could be mindful of. I have added a Catch Can and a 2" lift.
Looking forward to testing the integrated remote trailer camera system.
For the record, my 2000 GMC 1500 / 5.3 L / 4 speed auto / 3.73 axel ratio does not have the same tow ratings as your 2018. Only 7500 lb trailer rating. I some how don't think the 8 speed can make that much defference, especially with a 3.42 axel ratio. For the 2000 model, the 3.42 axel ration 5.3 L only has a 6500 lb trailer rating. I don't understand how there can be that much difference between years with the same engine. Maybe somebody can explain.

As I said before, mine works very hard to climb mountains; enough so that I wanted more power.

A couple of questions for you:

1. What is a 'Catch Can"
2. Why did you feel the need to do a 2" lift.

As for the remote trailer camera, if it is the same as on my 2017, it can drive you nuts trying to get it to stay on when in reverse. The backup cam on the tailgate shuts it off. You have to put it in reverse, then turn on the trailer camera to make it work.
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #23
JC Larson

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
For the record, my 2000 GMC 1500 / 5.3 L / 4 speed auto / 3.73 axel ratio does not have the same tow ratings as your 2018. Only 7500 lb trailer rating. I some how don't think the 8 speed can make that much defference, especially with a 3.42 axel ratio. For the 2000 model, the 3.42 axel ration 5.3 L only has a 6500 lb trailer rating. I don't understand how there can be that much difference between years with the same engine. Maybe somebody can explain.

As I said before, mine works very hard to climb mountains; enough so that I wanted more power.

A couple of questions for you:

1. What is a 'Catch Can"
2. Why did you feel the need to do a 2" lift.

As for the remote trailer camera, if it is the same as on my 2017, it can drive you nuts trying to get it to stay on when in reverse. The backup cam on the tailgate shuts it off. You have to put it in reverse, then turn on the trailer camera to make it work.
Catch Can:
The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system on your engine is designed to regulate and remove fumes from the engine crankcase, and to alleviate crankcase pressure which could cause oil leaks or seal damage. It’s a way for gases to escape in a controlled manner from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine.

During normal operation of an internal combustion engine, there’s a compressed air and fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber that is ignited and as a result, forces the piston down. A small amount of that ignited mixture leaks past the piston rings and ends up in the crankcase.

This leakage is often referred to as “blow-by” (leakage past the piston rings), as well as oil mist. Some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a “gunk.” The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing “cleaner” gases to be passed back into the intake.

The purpose of a proper oil separating Catch Can is to route these gasses through a baffle system that provides the most contact possible with the outer surface resulting in the oil being trapped and removed from the other gasses that do continue on through the intake and are burnt and consumed. Typically the trapped oil is captured in the bottom of the Catch Can.
JustinLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #24
JC Larson

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Catch Can:
The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system on your engine is designed to regulate and remove fumes from the engine crankcase, and to alleviate crankcase pressure which could cause oil leaks or seal damage. It’s a way for gases to escape in a controlled manner from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine.

During normal operation of an internal combustion engine, there’s a compressed air and fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber that is ignited and as a result, forces the piston down. A small amount of that ignited mixture leaks past the piston rings and ends up in the crankcase.

This leakage is often referred to as “blow-by” (leakage past the piston rings), as well as oil mist. Some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a “gunk.” The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing “cleaner” gases to be passed back into the intake.

The purpose of a proper oil separating Catch Can is to route these gasses through a baffle system that provides the most contact possible with the outer surface resulting in the oil being trapped and removed from the other gasses that do continue on through the intake and are burnt and consumed. Typically the trapped oil is captured in the bottom of the Catch Can.
As for the 2" lift, like the added minor clearance and look.
As for the towing capacity GM lists here. As well as torque and horsepower all greatly improved:
http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing
Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #25
JC Larson

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
As for the 2" lift, like the added minor clearance and look.
As for the towing capacity GM lists here. As well as torque and horsepower all greatly improved:
http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing
The original 5.3L Vortec, the LM7, produced 270 horsepower and 315 lb-ft of torque.*
2018 5.3L ecotec3, L83, produces 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
LAS VEGAS , Nevada
Quote:
The original 5.3L Vortec, the LM7, produced 270 horsepower and 315 lb-ft of torque.*
2018 5.3L ecotec3, L83, produces 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque.
I still think you are going backward on towing capabilities. But that is just my opinion.

Also don't think the lift helps towing stability. Maybe hurts.

I do know about PCV systems, and even road draft pipes of days gone by. Just never heard the term "Catch Can".

Thanks for the info.
Abe
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kewadin , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I had a 2015 Denali with the same power and towing packages you've described. Our experience pulling our 27FB with a ProPride (a fairly heavy hitch) was similar to that of dznf0g, i.e., no need for air bags.
So I should be ok with short version Yukon Denali 6.2l & 25 flying cloud I was pulling a Lance1985 about 1200 # lighter
OSU76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU76 View Post
So I should be ok with short version Yukon Denali 6.2l & 25 flying cloud I was pulling a Lance1985 about 1200 # lighter
Not sure your question without your payload rating as listed on the door of that vehicle and knowing what you want to carry. The airbags don't help the payload. If your payload is above 1400-1500 lbs say, and your not carrying anything beyond that weight, you likely should be fine. The 6.2 is certainly a good engine with no issues on power, IMOH. Think about your use model for camping with the 25'; are you going to want a generator at some point, perhaps kayaks, firewood, etc? Consider that use model now...costly to find out later.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Grand Marais , Minnesota
I have a 2018 GMC Canyon with the Trailering Equipment Package and 3.6 liter gas engine. I am planning to buy a 2019 Airstream Flying Cloud, either a 25FB Twin or a 23FB. GMC lists the max towing capacity of my Canyon at 7000 pounds. I prefer the 25 footer but want to be positive I am not pushing too much weight onto my truck. The GVWR of the AS is 7300 pounds but that is with 1797 pounds of water, gear and passengers. I doubt I would ever come very close to that limit, probably 1000-1200lbs max. The braking capacity of the AS is a very big factor to consider. Has anyone out there towed a 25 footer with a Canyon or a Colorado?
century4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I think that towing a 25' Airstream with a Colorado or a Canyon is going to leave you very wanting in the power and braking department. And with a tongue weight likely in the 900+ lb range, the payload capacity of 1600 lbs, may also be stretched to the limit once passengers and gear are factored in. It is not the towing capacity of 7000 lbs you have to worry about, it is payload and rear axle weight ratings that will be the issue.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Tows my 25' without issue.
Tows my 34', but payload is an issue with tongue at ~1,100 lbs when trailer is ~9,000 lbs. Nothing in the truck bed, nothing in the back seat, two passengers in front, fiberglass bed cover - exceeds GVWR by ~100 lbs. Payload is 1,569 lbs on my 2014 1500 crew cab
Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Grand Marais , Minnesota
Thank you for your comments. We bought a 2009 31 foot Classic and towed it with a GMC 6.2 liter Duramax diesel and it was a perfect combination. I recently sold both units as a combo package to a friend because I wanted to try out a motorhome. So I purchased a 1989 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 34 foot model. After several trips I have decided a motorhome is not for me and am happy I was able to try it out with little investment and so will sell it and purchase another Airstream. At my age, I decided to downsize because having lost my wife, a smaller trailer would be good for my needs. Judging from replies to my question, it sounds as though a 23 foot Flying Cloud would be a better match for my GMC Canyon. It has a hitch weight of 467 pounds and a maximum trailer capacity (GVWR) of 6000 pounds.
century4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by century4 View Post
Thank you for your comments. We bought a 2009 31 foot Classic and towed it with a GMC 6.2 liter Duramax diesel and it was a perfect combination. I recently sold both units as a combo package to a friend because I wanted to try out a motorhome. So I purchased a 1989 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 34 foot model. After several trips I have decided a motorhome is not for me and am happy I was able to try it out with little investment and so will sell it and purchase another Airstream. At my age, I decided to downsize because having lost my wife, a smaller trailer would be good for my needs. Judging from replies to my question, it sounds as though a 23 foot Flying Cloud would be a better match for my GMC Canyon. It has a hitch weight of 467 pounds and a maximum trailer capacity (GVWR) of 6000 pounds.
My brother in law has the diesel version of the Canyon and loves it. He is also looking closely at the 23D; says the specs will work fine for him and his wife...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by century4 View Post
I have a 2018 GMC Canyon with the Trailering Equipment Package and 3.6 liter gas engine. I am planning to buy a 2019 Airstream Flying Cloud, either a 25FB Twin or a 23FB. GMC lists the max towing capacity of my Canyon at 7000 pounds. I prefer the 25 footer but want to be positive I am not pushing too much weight onto my truck. The GVWR of the AS is 7300 pounds but that is with 1797 pounds of water, gear and passengers. I doubt I would ever come very close to that limit, probably 1000-1200lbs max. The braking capacity of the AS is a very big factor to consider. Has anyone out there towed a 25 footer with a Canyon or a Colorado?
When making my prior post, I did not notice that the subject had changed from a Silverado to a Canyon. Sorry!

Make sure you are using the Owners Manual to find out the combined weight rating of your specific vehicle, based on actual equipment installed. If you are using the towing/trailering guide or any sales literature to estimate the trucks ability, you may be wrong in your assumptions. GM tends to state the highest possible rating in sales literature for a vehicle with that label. The towing ability can change drastically by minor changes in equipment.

Also, recognize that as payload on the truck is increased, the truck's ability to tow trailer weight is reduced. (truck can't tow max trailer weight if truck payload is max) It requires some weighing and calculations to know if the rig is within specs.

ps:
Last year I did some calculations to see if I could use a Canyon to tow my 25'. According to my calculations it would be overloaded.