Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #15

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
My experience when ordering my cars was that at this point it'll be only a few days on the lot then on to a rail car on its way to your dealership within about 10 days or so. You'll get it sooner than you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
That's what I'm hoping but I'm trying to set my expectations so I won't be disappointed.

phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Not wanting to be a troll and rain on peoples GM parade, but based on what I'm seeing with other brands transmissions these days, will parts for it be made available to transmission shops for repairs; or will GM follow the trend these days and only offer new complete transmissions for replacement. GM isn't the only brand I'm worried about, Chrysler too has a 8 speeds in certain products.

The reason I'm concerned is because of the experience of a Mini buyer up here. She had just over 100,000 kms (60,000 miles) when her tranny went south. She took it to a transmission shop who told her BMW wasn't providing any parts. BMW was willing to sell her a new transmission at $7,500.00 + $4,000 in installation and taxes.

The more cogs, gears and belts, the more to go wrong and based on my experience with my 96 Bonnevilles transmission (which was only a 4 sp), it will.

Again, I'm just saying this as towing does put more stress on a tranny and towing could be, and has been considered abuse by a manufacturer trying to get out of a warranty claim.

Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
I have no idea what GM is going to do regarding transmission parts to 3rd parties. I will say that a lot of other companies buy transmissions from ZF and may not have access to individual parts because of it. I think that may be the case with BMW and Chrysler. This new GM 8 speed was designed and is built in-house. Presumably they have access to all the parts one might need to fix it.

Also, it comes with a 5 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty.

As for GM trying to get out of a warranty repair because I use my SUV for towing, I think as long as one stays within the manufacturer's weight limits one should be fine.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Typically, during the first 6 months of a new trans (or engine), dealers are allowed to only put in NEW assemblies. This is so engineering can get "virgin" failed units to study. Once a tech goes inside that failure analysis data is corrupted commonly and accurate failure analysis is difficult. Parts are opened up after completion of that time period.

Replace vs. repair is done on a cost analysis basis, and is balanced on a couple of factors:

Labor rate to rebuild vs. a SRTA (service replacement Trans assembly)...and more importantly "fix it right the first time" philosophy. It is much more accurate to rebuild accurately and completely in a re-manufacturing facility with consistent QC in place than try and control quality in 3600 dealerships.

Bottom line....OE parts will be available after the first 6 months (typically). Remans available through AC delco after enough time passes to have any cores available for reman.

Aftermarket companies start engineering and making parts as soon as they can lay their hands on a new vehicle to tear down.

In a perfect world you wouldn't need any parts anyway....but with a 5/100,000 warranty, unless you are one of the hardest core users, why does it matter? Even if you drive 50K/year, there will be plenty of parts options, should you need them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
The Fast Lane Truck folks have done an interesting review/comparison of the GMC Yukon Denali 6.2 w/8 speed and the Lincoln Navigator 3.5EB w/6 speed. Watching both videos will set you back about 25 minutes but it seems like the take home is that both pulled the 7000lbs trailer up to the Eisenhower Tunnel with ease. The Lincoln maintained the speed limit the whole time and the GMC would have had it not had to slow down for traffic. It was able to speed back up to the limit after traffic cleared. There are some pretty amusing comments at the end of the article that make even our most heated arguments look downright civil.

Click me.