Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Guess what? I have an 05 model with the same issue. I have been bashing about on the Internet and find lots of others with '05 and about 50,000 miles and the instrument cluster is sticking..either speedometer or fuel gauge or both. GM is currently in denial, but the word on the street is to hold off paying $500-$600 for cluster replacement and wait for the recall as on the '03 and '04 models.

I have speedometer problems with mine so I use my GPS to make it all work. So far the speed control and fuel gauge seem t be working normally.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It could well be the sensor in the pan. If you are mechanically inclined, you can see if unplugging the sensor causes a change.
I finally had time to change the oil this past Saturday and discovered that the wires to the oil pan sensor had broken due to being to short. SO I made the wires a little longer to allow for engine movement. So as far as the check engine oil light that is fixed. So now the cluster seems to be fine but the dealer told me there has to be a problem present at the time of service so they can see it for themselves before a new cluster will be put in. And with approx. 65,000 miles on the clock I feel sure that knowing my luck it will fail after the 70,000 mile warranty.
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
San Diegan

Vintage Kin Owner
San Diego , California
The speedometer on my 2004 Sierra buried to the right(wasn't speeding) in February at 14,000 miles. Although my warranty was expired, the GMC dealer shop near me fixed it for free after first quoting me $1000. They said they found some recent service notice. Ask about it.
sandiegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I'm joking. Kind of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It's no longer a switch. Starting in 1996, all manufacturers changed to a software-based failure program...
I quit doing just about any routine checks on my wife's OnStar equipped Yukon because the truck sends me email anytime it thinks something is amiss. Her truck now seldom has things like low tire pressure or a loose fuel cap for more than a day.

My dad's Cadillac developed a strange noise one day while he & Mother were driving out-of-state. He pushed the OnStar button for assistance. The people at OnStar downloaded his computer, figured out a somewhat serious issue, guided my dad to a dealership, and alerted the dealership Dad was on his way.

My wife occasionally locks herself out of her Yukon. No problem - OnStar's got her covered.

I've heard that, upon special request, OnStar can disable an OnStar-equipped vehicle.

I wonder what else OnStar is capable of doing?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Instrument cluster replacement

Our Chevy dealer replaced our instrument cluster last fall. My problem was on cold mornings the spedo would not work. Later in the day as the temp warmed up the spedo would start to work, when the problem showed up for the second timm, I called my dealer. They replaced my cluster at no cost. this was almost a year ago and I was still under warrenty.
Have not had any problem since.
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote