Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #15
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
So what I am hearing you all say is that your clusters are totally silent, they make not a single sound at any time right? If not, then I am going to call them in the next few weeks when time permits.

Dealer told me that they all make a very slight bit of noise that can't be heard one the engine is started.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
I have an '04 Avalanche and I got the notice, too. I took the truck in to have some other work on it and asked the service manager about it. He said if it isn't showing signs at the present time, it will eventually. In that case I told him the speedometer was shaky. He took all the numbers off the truck and said he had to order the cluster and it would take about a week. The new unit had to be custom set to the numbers on the truck. Most of that is computer work. Anyway, after the new cluster came in, it only took about half an hour for them to install. I can't tell any difference between the new and the old. The best part was that there was no charge. I guess what I am trying to say is: it will take two trips to get the job done. One to download the information and one to install.

QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #17
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The dealer may want to keep your truck after they've recorded the info. This is for Federal odometer tampering laws, if you continue driving the truck after they've recorded the mileage, the odometer will no longer be accurate. It may only be a dozen miles off, if you only drive to the dealer and back, but what if you choose that week to go to California?
Whenever a vehicle comes in to our shop for speedoemter replacement, the vehicle is pulled out of the shop to a parking space, the mileage is recorded, the vehicle is locked, and the keys are put in either a lock box (for vehicles still under warratny) or locked in the tech's toolbox untill the new speedometer arrives.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
I had the unit replaced in my 04 Silverado. I never did get the letter, I had to do the research online once the problem of a sticking speedometer started. It did not appear to affect the odometer at all. The repair took two trips to the dealer. The first one to check it out, get the details and order the part. It took about a half hour. The repair happened a week later and took about 90 minutes. Works great now.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari SE
Janesville , Wisconsin
The dealer who sold our 04 Silverado to us last January told us, prior to the
sale, that the instrument cluster would need switching out for a new one.
Within a few weeks of ownership, the speedometer began malfunctioning, often sticking at 60 mph in the off position.
They replaced the cluster at no charge, even though we are the second owners of the truck (it was a gm certified vehicle with only 18k on it at purchase).
No problems since!
marta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Read the service bulletin carefully! If you simply go to the dealer and request replacement of the instrument cluster - as a precautionary matter - it may not happen. On the other hand, if you report - true or not - that the panel was acting up (i.e. - speedometer sticking) they will replace the cluster even if the Tech 2 gauge sweep does not show a problem. This sounds to me like GM is hoping you'll go past the 7 year or 70,000 mile mark before you have a problem. I would think that GM needs to step up to the plate again - like they did with the injectors on the diesels - and stop the nonsense generated by a group of cost accountants.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Guess what? I have an 05 model with the same issue. I have been bashing about on the Internet and find lots of others with '05 and about 50,000 miles and the instrument cluster is sticking..either speedometer or fuel gauge or both. GM is currently in denial, but the word on the street is to hold off paying $500-$600 for cluster replacement and wait for the recall as on the '03 and '04 models.

I have speedometer problems with mine so I use my GPS to make it all work. So far the speed control and fuel gauge seem t be working normally.
Living life on the Road
deauxrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Originally Posted by overlander63
It could well be the sensor in the pan. If you are mechanically inclined, you can see if unplugging the sensor causes a change.
I finally had time to change the oil this past Saturday and discovered that the wires to the oil pan sensor had broken due to being to short. SO I made the wires a little longer to allow for engine movement. So as far as the check engine oil light that is fixed. So now the cluster seems to be fine but the dealer told me there has to be a problem present at the time of service so they can see it for themselves before a new cluster will be put in. And with approx. 65,000 miles on the clock I feel sure that knowing my luck it will fail after the 70,000 mile warranty.
1991 Airstream Excella 1000 34ft (SOLD)
1994 Chevrolet Crew Cab dually 2WD 6.5td
2005 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 2WD 5.3
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
San Diegan
Vintage Kin Owner
San Diego , California
The speedometer on my 2004 Sierra buried to the right(wasn't speeding) in February at 14,000 miles. Although my warranty was expired, the GMC dealer shop near me fixed it for free after first quoting me $1000. They said they found some recent service notice. Ask about it.
sandiegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I'm joking. Kind of...

Originally Posted by overlander63
It's no longer a switch. Starting in 1996, all manufacturers changed to a software-based failure program...
I quit doing just about any routine checks on my wife's OnStar equipped Yukon because the truck sends me email anytime it thinks something is amiss. Her truck now seldom has things like low tire pressure or a loose fuel cap for more than a day.

My dad's Cadillac developed a strange noise one day while he & Mother were driving out-of-state. He pushed the OnStar button for assistance. The people at OnStar downloaded his computer, figured out a somewhat serious issue, guided my dad to a dealership, and alerted the dealership Dad was on his way.

My wife occasionally locks herself out of her Yukon. No problem - OnStar's got her covered.

I've heard that, upon special request, OnStar can disable an OnStar-equipped vehicle.

I wonder what else OnStar is capable of doing?

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master
1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Instrument cluster replacement

Our Chevy dealer replaced our instrument cluster last fall. My problem was on cold mornings the spedo would not work. Later in the day as the temp warmed up the spedo would start to work, when the problem showed up for the second timm, I called my dealer. They replaced my cluster at no cost. this was almost a year ago and I was still under warrenty.
Have not had any problem since.

"Abe" & Melissa Lincoln
1976 Overlander "Spirit"
2005 Suburban w/q-steer
Hensley Hitch
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote