Old 09-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
GM Engineers Design NEW 4.5L Duramax Turbo Diesel V8

Just finished reading an article in Automotive News about GM's new 4.5L Duramax turbo-diesel V8. It has a double overhead cam design with four valves per cylinder. It will develop at least 310hp and 520lb-ft of torque. It will be sold in all 50 states and will be the first GM engine that will use urea injection to control emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx).

According to the article, the engine's design reverses the flow of air and exhaust gases going in and out of the cylinder heads. On standard V8 engines, fuel and air enter on the side of the cylinder heads facing the inner part of the "V." The exhaust gases exit on the V's outside. In the new design, air enters the engine through ports in the outer portion of each cylinder head. The exhaust gases then exit inward between the cylinder heads and directly into a turbocharger.

They say this eliminates numerous parts, saves space and lets the engine make more efficient use of heat. All of that improves fuel economy and performance, reduces noise and lowers emissions. The new engine eliminates the bulky intake manifold, two heavy cast-iron exhaust manifolds and related parts such as gaskets, bolts, nuts, studs and most heat shields.

The new design could shave $350-600 off the cost of producing the engine by some estimates.

The new compact design also solved a space problem. GM wanted a V* diesel that could fit in the same space as the small block V* gasoline engine in the Chevrolet Silverado-GMC Sierra pickups, and in the Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon SUVs. Since it is narrower than a regular diesel of the same displacement, the new engine fit.

The engine performance is apparently also impressive. Some GM bigshots (aka decison makers) took it for a test drive on the GM Milford Proving Grounds. They were amazed at how smooth, quiet and powerful the new diesel ran.

The top brass approved the new diesel engine for GM's light-duty trucks. It is scheduled for production in 2009 at a revamped plant in Tonawanda, N.Y.

For all its worth, I'm an engineer (Industrial) but I need to see things visually more or less, so when "gear-heads" start talking (or writing) its somewhat difficult to follow exactly what they are talking about. All in all, sounds like the new Duramax will be evolutionary.

Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've read about it also. Sounds very interesting, and I wish it were available now, as I'm in the market for a new truck, but can't aford nor do I need a big 3/4 ton diesel.

The things about the new diesel that concerns me is the reliability, and cost to repair. The cylinder heads as I remember are aluminum, and they are built in such a way that they now are one piece, and perform the funcions that used to be done by the cyclinder head, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold. What do you suppose that puppy costs if you have to replace one of them? Also, how is an aluminum cylinder head going to hold up on a 22:1 compression diesel?

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Streamer1
...For all its worth, I'm an engineer (Industrial) but I need to see things visually...

Here ya go!

I can't wait to see this baby in action!
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
I've been following this too and like what I'm seeing. Then again I've only got 57K on my current DMAX so it will be a while. I'll let you guys test it out first.
4CU Charter Member
1981 Excella 280 Turbo Diesel Motorhome
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm pleased and impressed. I'm about 2-3 years out on a new TV and want to stay with the 2500 Suburban. Hopefully, this new Duramax will be available in the '09 or '10 Sub.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote